Property Taxes - Polk County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Bremer County, +100k or 23%. The compounding impacts of inflation. Government needs to rein in its scope of services versus further expansion, starting at the federal level, given government is unchecked regards to efficiency before it’s too late and our society is equitable poor. Current trends are not sustainable and hoping we see a majority of citizens wake up to our new reality.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Bremer County, +100k or 23%. The compounding impacts of inflation. Government needs to rein in its scope of services versus further expansion, starting at the federal level, given government is unchecked regards to efficiency before it’s too late and our society is equitable poor. Current trends are not sustainable and hoping we see a majority of citizens wake up to our new reality.
Well said, balls.

Reactions: cyfan21

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sadly, this is also going to trickle down to renters, if you rent a home, expect your rent to go up. Everyone loses.

This depends on the landlord for sure.

Landlords who are already charging as high as the market will bear won't be able to increase rent any more just because their costs went up. Landlords who are below what they could charge in the market and increase their rent at a slower pace will be likely to pass the property tax increase along.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
They are making up for where the state funding has dried up. Should they just shut schools down in Marshalltown? You surely understand how this works right? I mean all those tax cuts at the state level have shifted the tax burden to local communities. Most of us saw this coming.
No reason to be so dramatic about it. At any rate, I hope to not be a resident of this state much longer anyway.

Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
No reason to be so dramatic about it. At any rate, I hope to not be a resident of this state much longer anyway.
Make sure you move to a place that has progressive income taxes and doesn't have 40% of it's state living in rural poverty and you'll be just fine.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thought that taxes could not go up more than 11% over two years. So if your assessment increases 11%+, then your rate should decrease. Unless they vote to add a new tax. I’m not 100% certain but was thinking that this was the rules

• Informative
Reactions: mynameisjonas

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Thank you for the honest replies. The local gov’t needs funding, and one source has been decreasing. So, it was understandable that sources they control would be increased. It sucks…and frustrating.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Most people got their new assessment roll in the mail today and ours went up 29.4 percent this year with no changes to the property. From talking to a few people, this is about where everyone is at.

I thought there was a cap on the percentage increase year over year but I’m not finding anything concrete. Anyone know?
Curious what your total tax bill is and assessed value for comparison to my situation in Iliinois. You tell me I'll tell you.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thank you for the honest replies. The local gov’t needs funding, and one source has been decreasing. So, it was understandable that sources they control would be increased. It sucks…and frustrating.
Houses are supposed to be assessed at FMV, so it shouldn’t be crazy to have houses at that level.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Houses are supposed to be assessed at FMV, so it shouldn’t be crazy to have houses at that level.
Agreed. Two variables the locals can control; the FMV and the percent.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Most people got their new assessment roll in the mail today and ours went up 29.4 percent this year with no changes to the property. From talking to a few people, this is about where everyone is at.

I thought there was a cap on the percentage increase year over year but I’m not finding anything concrete. Anyone know?
The state will issue rollbacks this fall. This is an assessment not an increase in property taxes. Schools, townships, cities, counties, ag extension, etc. ask for the money. Not the Assessor. If everyone's valuation in similar properties go up, so will the person who owns the similar property, in your county. These increases are big this year. The controlling boards that ask for the tax dollars are the ones to complain to against higher taxes, not your Assessor. If your valuation is out of line with similar properties in your county then a protest to the Assessor may be called for. Inflation will may cripple local governments if no allowed to adjust their tax asking. If the local government is wasting then let them know. This is not on the Assessor. The valuations will be used for the tax bills being collected in the fall of 2024. Not this year. The rollbacks will be issued to the county Auditors this fall to complete the valuation process. Then the taxes will be levied in the 2024 calendar year.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
The state government has lowered allowable tax rates on homes and businesses. Local governments, in an effort to make up lost revenue(so that services ate not cut), are raising property assessments to more closely mirror property values(if you were selling).
The Assessors have rules they must follow on assessment this is not a planned thing where someone says "we have to raise assessments" The Assessor is governed by a conference board not the County or City and that board has absolutely no say in how much to assess properties. People need to know this.

Last edited:

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Agreed. Two variables the locals can control; the FMV and the percent.

If an a County goes up (or down) more than state averages. The state may equilize the taxes in that county or city.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Property and income is the fairest way to tax people. Your property taxes are going up because people like you don't think high earners should pay at a higher rate than you. You can't have it both ways.
Sounnds like a guy on welfare which I'm also paying for. mine went up 92K. Nothing like increaseing taxes during a down economy and pending recession.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Sadly, this is also going to trickle down to renters, if you rent a home, expect your rent to go up. Everyone loses.
Yep. 5 years ago apartment buildings were assessed at the same percentage as commercial properties 90% of value, Now the state has dropped their rollback to the same percentage as whatever residential ( your homes) is. This year around 53% or so. This percentage of rollback for commercial and residential wont be published by the state until this fall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.