Pre-Fall Depth Chart

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Noteworthy items to me:

Eisworth at the Star position! That was definitely the biggest surprise - but maybe I missed it during spring ball. It should bring him down into the box a lot more - and indicates they are very happy with the safety depth.

Schoener is the F-Back, not listed at TE at all. And "OR" between Allen and Kolar at TE is interesting too. I'd have thought Kolar won the starting spot next year - but it's fairly moot as they'll both play a ton

McDonald is the starting WLB, no "OR". Not surprising, necessarily, but I'm fascinated to watch that play out, he's an entirely different player than Willie Harvey. Having a freak in that spot in the 3-3 Stack could be devastating. Also Mike Rose is up to 240#? Anyone recall what he played at last year, it was < 220 wasn't it?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Noteworthy items to me:

Eisworth at the Star position! That was definitely the biggest surprise - but maybe I missed it during spring ball. It should bring him down into the box a lot more - and indicates they are very happy with the safety depth.

Schoener is the F-Back, not listed at TE at all. And "OR" between Allen and Kolar at TE is interesting too. I'd have thought Kolar won the starting spot next year - but it's fairly moot as they'll both play a ton

McDonald is the starting WLB, no "OR". Not surprising, necessarily, but I'm fascinated to watch that play out, he's an entirely different player than Willie Harvey. Having a freak in that spot in the 3-3 Stack could be devastating. Also Mike Rose is up to 240#? Anyone recall what he played at last year, it was < 220 wasn't it?

Let's just do two tightend sets. Having a couple more 6'7" beefy guys out there can't be a bad thing, right.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence and bawbie

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Tory Spears listed in the competition for SS. I didn't recognize that name; looks like he came as a preferred walk-on. Campbell has done a nice job with some of these walk-ons
https://cyclonefanatic.com/2018/04/recruiting-iowa-state-lands-preferred-walk-on-from-texas/

Also looks like his dad played in the NFL when looking at his bio
https://cyclones.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10317

I remember that - but I assumed (at 6'4") he was going to be a WR. Cracking the depth chart at that size, as a preferred walk on redshirt freshman is awesome.

Last edited:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
It is so nice to see some height in our defensive secondary. We were too short when Rhoads was here. Now almost everyone is 6' or taller, with Tory Spears at 6'3!

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
I remember that - but I assumed (at 6'4") he was going to be a WR. Cracking the depth chart at that size, as a preferred walk on redshirt freshman is awesome.
I noticed he wore #85 in his picture and looked at last year's roster.. came in as WR and won special team scout player of the year. It'll be fun to see him develop over next few years

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Noteworthy items to me:

he was listed at 228 on the roster last year.

EDIT: He was 228 on the roster and he was 215 from his recruiting profile... so, added 25 pounds over the last 2 years.

247 Profile:
https://247sports.com/player/michael-rose-46045437/

Roster:
https://cyclones.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10303

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Eisworth at Star is the most surprising. I guess that means White has come on at safety? I get confused where all of those guys play. I thought Lewis was the Star last season, and did a pretty good job. Am I off on that?

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Akers at M is interesting. Wasn't that the position that the staff talked about when they first came to ISU? They use it on short screens, jet sweeps, and across the middle? I've always considered Akers an outside guy because of his speed and vertical.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Eisworth is definitely interesting but who knows who it all shakes out by the first game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron