Potential Transfers '14

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
We need guards in the worst way.

McKay, Niang, Edozie, Hogue, and Nader have us loaded in the post.

I think it depends on whether you consider Nader a post or not. I would consider him a perimeter slasher/scorer from the wing. Not a post. Mckay won't play first semester.

Morris, Long, Thomas, SDW, Nader are great for our 3 "guard" spots.

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
Lee doesn't look like a 3 point threat but he looks like he can run the floor. I think being able to get out and run and is more important to Fred so we can continue to play fast no matter what lineup is in.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
And it's easier to keep everyone happy as well

I actually think for most coaches it would be more difficult. This is why Fred is pretty amazing at doing this.
You are bringing in guys to play over guys who have been in the program several years. To me that would cause lots of bitter feelings in the locker room. I have been in the program for 2 years, and now you bring a 5th year senior to play over me? Its one thing to accept a guy who is a senior going through the program to play over me, an completely different thing to bring a senior from the outside.

There is a reason why most said this transfer thing would fail, because in most cases it probably does. Most athletes have pretty big ego's as they should because its what drives a lot of them.

I think it was Dakich that said the other night there are list of reasons why guys from the NBA for the most part fail to do well in college, and Fred Hoiberg has come in and just disproved them all. (Or something to that effect.) Point being most college coaches do not have the skill set to build teams the way he does it, its really an amazing thing.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
We need guards in the worst way.

McKay, Niang, Edozie, Hogue, and Nader have us loaded in the post.
McKay- assumed to be high-level Big 12 player, but does not play until second semester
Niang- true
Edozie- has yet to show he is even a role player.
Hogue- do we really want to play him 30 minutes a game in the post?
Nader- is not, or at least has yet to be a post player

First semester next year we have one post! He is great at scoring, but very average at defense and rebounding. We are a lot closer to having major concerns about our post line-up than we are to being "loaded". We have no depth or size this season, and we lose one of our two posts.

We need both.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I actually think for most coaches it would be more difficult. This is why Fred is pretty amazing at doing this.
You are bringing in guys to play over guys who have been in the program several years. To me that would cause lots of bitter feelings in the locker room. I have been in the program for 2 years, and now you bring a 5th year senior to play over me? Its one thing to accept a guy who is a senior going through the program to play over me, an completely different thing to bring a senior from the outside.

There is a reason why most said this transfer thing would fail, because in most cases it probably does. Most athletes have pretty big ego's as they should because its what drives a lot of them.

I think it was Dakich that said the other night there are list of reasons why guys from the NBA for the most part fail to do well in college, and Fred Hoiberg has come in and just disproved them all. (Or something to that effect.) Point being most college coaches do not have the skill set to build teams the way he does it, its really an amazing thing.

I don't think Fred brings them in to play over people, and if he does those people leave. He brings them in to fill holes. So the people at the end of the bench who would normally be ****** about not playing, are transfers who can't play no matter what. Then they are extra pumped to play the next year.

Look at Lucious, kane, Clyburn, McKay, White. Those guys all filled a unique spot.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
McKay- assumed to be high-level Big 12 player, but does not play until second semester
Niang- true

First semester next year we have one post! He is great at scoring, but very average at defense and rebounding. We are a lot closer to having major concerns about our post line-up than we are to being "loaded". We have no depth or size this season, and we lose one of our two posts.

We need both.

You're throwing around "semester" like he's going to be out for half the season.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
We could use a post and I don't care what anybody says.

First semester we will only have Niang, Hogue, Nader and Edozie. Rebounding will be tough without McKay. Niang, Nader, and Edozie won't average more than 6 rebounds. Our only elite rebounder will be Hogue. Remember too that we lose Kane on the boards.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Niang- true

We need both.

Reasonable minds can disagree without being disagreeable, but I'm curious to know what your definition of a "role player" is. IMO Edozie has earned his way into the rotation by being a big body, playing good defense, rebounding, and getting some garbage/offensive rebounding buckets and being productive with his limited time. Isn't that the definition of a role player?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Reasonable minds can disagree without being disagreeable, but I'm curious to know what your definition of a "role player" is. IMO Edozie has earned his way into the rotation by being a big body, playing good defense, rebounding, and getting some garbage/offensive rebounding buckets and being productive with his limited time. Isn't that the definition of a role player?

I agree that I've been fairly impressed with Edozie thus far. It will be interesting to see if he can develop this off season. He brings some toughness, effort and a good sized body to the mix. He can at least body up on some opposing post players and bang in the paint a little when needed.

That isn't to say that we couldn't use the services of Lee, but it will be interesting to watch Daniel's development.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
With all these possible transfers/recruits, they are fun to speculate on. But ultimately, if CFH wants them, I want them. If not, I don't either.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
If you've got a chance to spend your senior year getting screamed at in practice by your coach, being ridiculed on Twitter by your own bandwagon of a fan base, and also play for the very last school chosen for the tournament play-in round, you've got to take it.

FIFY

Last edited:

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
Twitter was banned so he'd be spending his senior year without. He would still have the opportunity to be picked on in the coaches call show though which would be a plus.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Why all of this transfer talk already? Our team is together and playing for all the marbles... We have great players returning next year, the future is bright.

It is bright but it will get brighter between now and may. Recruiting is a process that goes on year round, but for teams like ISU that rely heavily on transfers March-May is our peak time.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
It is bright but it will get brighter between now and may. Recruiting is a process that goes on year round, but for teams like ISU that rely heavily on transfers March-May is our peak time.

Not to mention we don't play till Friday. We are talking about everything. It isn't like we are ignoring the team to talk about this....

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I think it depends on whether you consider Nader a post or not. I would consider him a perimeter slasher/scorer from the wing. Not a post. Mckay won't play first semester.

Morris, Long, Thomas, SDW, Nader are great for our 3 "guard" spots.

True about Nader. He's definitely a wing player and versatile enough to play 2,3 or 4.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Not to mention we don't play till Friday. We are talking about everything. It isn't like we are ignoring the team to talk about this....

Plus that game is against, no offense, North Carolina Central. Having a good seed is awesome, but this is not exactly the 1st round games against UConn and Notre Dame we've had the last couple years. Come Saturday everyone is going to be focused 100% on that UNC or Providence game

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
We could use a post and I don't care what anybody says.

First semester we will only have Niang, Hogue, Nader and Edozie. Rebounding will be tough without McKay. Niang, Nader, and Edozie won't average more than 6 rebounds. Our only elite rebounder will be Hogue. Remember too that we lose Kane on the boards.

Every year we worry about replacing scoring, rebounding, three pointer etc. Every year it works itself out.

Trust Fred.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Every year we worry about replacing scoring, rebounding, three pointer etc. Every year it works itself out.

Trust Fred.

Exactly. He is expecting FH to replace that stuff by adding a post. As am I.

Matt A has eluded to us taking at least 2 transfers this offseason. Legit guys as well. He is very confident.