Post Positive Stuff Here

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Down almost 40 lbs. Gave up the booze for over 6 months

So the good news is two Michelob Ultra "beers" got me rocked.
It's amazing when you don't drink very often, how much you save both in health and the wallet. Not as many hangovers, and when you do drink, it's cheaper bc you get drunk faster.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
no lie, this is the most fun I've had reading a thread on this site in months...so many people have good stuff going on...

It's crazy how toxic social media has become lately. Not that there isn't positive stuff ever being posted, but the negative generally overshadows the positive. That's all the media ever wants to do stories on. I get it, that gets viewers and attention, but such a mood killer with society. And we wonder why there is so much mental illness and anxiety problems building up?

I love the Some good news network that John Krasinski decided to roll with in the beginning of the pandemic. I've been trying to look at the more positive side of things lately and not watch news as often. It's amazing how my perspective and mood changed by not watching the toxicity 24/7.

Humor and positivity is what we all need. Great thread started by the OP.

Reactions: thejoeldozer

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Since nothing is open we're going camping for our family vacation. Actual relaxation instead of fighting traffic, lines, and trying to see and do everything in time. And ZERO wandering shops for stuff we want.

I won't even need a day to unwind when we get back.

Last edited:

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Boy am I thankful for this thread. Don't have to feel guilty posting that I started a great new job in April that's the most fun I've had at work in nearly 15 years.

And like some others I'm getting in shape, running three times a week and have dropped 10 lbs and counting. I cut way back on the booze years ago but have cut back on the beer since covid. It's made a difference.

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
central Iowa restaurant or where is it located? Throughout the pandemic My wife and I have tried our damnedest to support locally owned restaurants in the dsm area and I’d be glad to add a fellow cyclones to our list if you’re in the area
It's in Clive, IA. I have a buddy at the DMR who is going to do an article, I'll post that link once the article happens.

kcbob79clone

Would have to say not spending as much money since we aren't going out or eating out like we normally would has been a positive. It has allowed us to be more generous with giving to charitable organizations that need the help right now assisting people affected in some way or another by the pandemic. We've also been able to put some more money in the kids 529 college savings plan and replenish some of the savings we had to dip into last year for a couple big item repair expenses we had to pay for. When we do get carry out or use a local business service that you would tip we've been much more generous with our tips there too knowing we've spent less than usual there by not eating out or getting a hair cut as often, etc.

So this whole situation kind of forced us into changing our spending habits a little bit by default I guess but the trick will be when things finally get back to normal are we going to fall back into the spending habits we had before that probably needed to be tightened up a bit before this all happened so that has kind of turned into a positive in some ways.

Our grocery bill went up as we are eating more at home but our eating out budget went way down. Overall spending is down.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Our grocery bill went up as we are eating more at home but our eating out budget went way down. Overall spending is down.

Don't know if you or others have experienced this, but we're buying more groceries than usual, which means more fuel savers at HyVee. We're also basically not driving at all except the 2 mile round trip to the store. Our fuel expenses for the past few months (after fuel savers) have been:

April: $13.00
May: $0.10
June: $0.11
July: $0.00

Typically my wife is running all over with the kids, plus the 3-4 hr trips to visit family or friends. So we're normally dropping $200/month on fuel.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Don't know if you or others have experienced this, but we're buying more groceries than usual, which means more fuel savers at HyVee. We're also basically not driving at all except the 2 mile round trip to the store. Our fuel expenses for the past few months (after fuel savers) have been:

April: $13.00
May: $0.10
June: $0.11
July: $0.00

Typically my wife is running all over with the kids, plus the 3-4 hr trips to visit family or friends. So we're normally dropping $200/month on fuel.

that is awesome! I've been at work the entire time and I have a company car (don't pay for gas) but my wife's car sat for 3 months and didn't move...combined with not going out to eat for 90 days, we saved a ton of money...I haven't attempted to add it up but it has to have been appreciable.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
85L8.gif

..............I'm sorry, what was the question?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Person reasons to be positive (I realize others may not care - but I'm supposed to be on an Alaskan Cruise right now so I'll take what I can get!)

Big brother is coming back!!
Baseball starts today!
Went up to Ames to take a stroll through campus during quarantine. Was amazing to relive some memories and see how much has changed.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
My 5 year old daughter has started riding her bike without any training wheels this week. She rode all the way around the cul-de-sac this afternoon.

Am considering starting this with our 4 year old. Taught the 11 year old at about 5, though. 4 might be too aggressive.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron