Pollard on Cyclone Club Level Changes

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
This will be an unpopular stance, but if Pollard and ISU want more money then simply put we need to win more; this is how you get the casual fan/sideline fan to donate (their logic will be win first, then donate not donate first then hope for wins). This past football season cost us serious money in my opinion - imagine the momentum and dollars had the football team executed on pre-season expectations (beat Iowa with GameDay present, Conf Title Game, NY6 bowl). And while basketball has had some nice improvement, Prohm did real damage to that program with the poor results and home losses. It will take awhile to get BB back to real magic happening regularly.
They are already performing above donation levels. We aren’t 10th in everything. When does the other shoe drop?

• Agree
Reactions: cymonw1980 and legi

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
You are missing the point. I am not arguing against the increased donation levels, I am stating that for a real increase in funds football (and to a lesser extent basketball) simply need to win more - and that last year was a real lost opportunity to have the 'statement' year to springboard from.
Absolutely, but we just won a NY6 bowl trailing most of D1. What will it take to move the needle significantly? Chicken and the egg, tough to have a statement season without resources to compete.

Reactions: legi

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
On the Williams & Blum podcast, Chris brought up the idea of referral benefits for generating new lower level donors (in order to get a huge influx of donors and in the door of the Cyclone Club). Sounds like a good idea to me.

How many of you think you could convince someone to become a $500 or under donor?

What sort of benefits would help motivate you?
  • Access to a practice/scrimmage?
  • Autographs from coaches/players?
  • Invitation to a special event with coaches/players?
  • Free tickets to C.Y. Stephens events (now that the Athletic Department oversees the entire Iowa State Center)?
  • Free dinner at Scheman before a MBB game?

It seems most benefits are tied directly to seating....I agree with this post to find more ways to incentivise or have other benefits (or chances for things)

The referral program....my first thought was pyramid scheme, lol. "cyclone athletics energy drinks, essential oils, and dietary supplements"

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
Based on a couple of questions earlier, there was a Gold ($1000) and Gold Plus ($1500). They stopped the Gold Plus, which essentially moved all the seating/parking requirements from the Gold Plus to the Captains level. This happened 5 or 6 years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It seems most benefits are tied directly to seating....I agree with this post to find more ways to incentivise or have other benefits (or chances for things)

The referral program....my first thought was pyramid scheme, lol. "cyclone athletics energy drinks, essential oils, and dietary supplements"

Seating and parking/tailgating. Is there an RV parking/tailgating option other than Captains-level donor and above?

Reactions: CapnCy

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Seating and parking/tailgating. Is there an RV parking/tailgating option other than Captains-level donor and above?

Yes. PPL can park RV’s in general lots and Vet Med. Non-Donors can also utilize the Haunted Forest RV Lot as well.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
First, somebody gets a tumbler, now you get a replica campanile. How come I'm not getting any of that swag?
The items are not from Cyclone Club but from the Foundation and Alumni

Were the flags/banners from the past from CC?

We don’t even get the windshield sticker or key tab any longer. We have to look at the brochure of benefits online. They could mail that.

Last edited:

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Honest question, are these good prices for corn and soybeans?

But inputs are also hitting highs. Landowners see high commodity prices and want higher rents. The active ingredient of Roundup has gone from $7 to $24 per gallon on an equivalent gallon basis. Equipment and parts are hard to get. Etc

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Was going back and forth with the athletic department the other day..

My seats are in Section C ($100 donation level) but I was at the $750 level. I like my seats so I asked if I want to retain them, can I get away with the $100 donation. The answer was yes.

I was told that they anticipate everyone who is at the States level ($300) will be able to secure parking in the paved lots for the upcoming year.

I suppose its a win/win for me. I can donate less, keep my seats, and gain access to paved parking. FWIW I was at the Cardinal level last year.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Was going back and forth with the athletic department the other day..

My seats are in Section C ($100 donation level) but I was at the $750 level. I like my seats so I asked if I want to retain them, can I get away with the $100 donation. The answer was yes.

I was told that they anticipate everyone who is at the States level ($300) will be able to secure parking in the paved lots for the upcoming year.

I suppose its a win/win for me. I can donate less, keep my seats, and gain access to paved parking. FWIW I was at the Cardinal level last year.
If you love the Cyclones why would you lower your donation amount? That donation supports all sports.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
If you love the Cyclones why would you lower your donation amount? That donation supports all sports.

Turns out when you buy a house and remodel it and have a new born baby, you have to cut back in some spots.

Who woulda thought huh?

I could just not support them at all and not buy tickets or donate?

You probably would love to find a cure to cancer so why don't you donate to cancer resarch?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
If I keep my donation at $500 vs going down to $300 does that provide me any advantage? I’m likely going to be taking over the donation portion fully by myself this year and trying to find the balance for my budget. I should have enough to maintain the $500 but it is pushing my budget. If I get no real advantage at staying there I might just go down to $300 and try and consistently build it back up past the $500 in a few years. I think that method will actually help me to give more long term just not short term.

Reactions: CycloneCJ

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
If I keep my donation at $500 vs going down to $300 does that provide me any advantage? I’m likely going to be taking over the donation portion fully by myself this year and trying to find the balance for my budget. I should have enough to maintain the $500 but it is pushing my budget. If I get no real advantage at staying there I might just go down to $300 and try and consistently build it back up past the $500 in a few years. I think that method will actually help me to give more long term just not short term.
I believe you get 2 additional priority points for donating $200 more over the States $300 amount. To answer your question there is no real benefit in donating $500 instead of $300 except that you love the Cyclones!

• Informative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron