B12 Wins

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Creighton?
I don't know. Creighton is ranked 58th in the net, which would put them 7th in the conference right behind TCU. Don't get me wrong, that was a good win on the road, but the Big XII is just that tough this year.

• Agree
Reactions: WhoISthis

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
The reality is we do not know how good the Big12 is. Sure, the bottom is better than other conferences, but how good the top is remains to be seen. The Big12 has only played two games against the top ten in Net and has won one and is 6-4 against the top 25 in Net. Take away Baylor and Iowa State and the rest of the league is 3-4 against the top 25. I have them at 11 wins, 8-1 at home and 3-6 on the road.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The reality is we do not know how good the Big12 is. Sure, the bottom is better than other conferences, but how good the top is remains to be seen. The Big12 has only played two games against the top ten in Net and has won one and is 6-4 against the top 25 in Net. Take away Baylor and Iowa State and the rest of the league is 3-4 against the top 25. I have them at 11 wins, 8-1 at home and 3-6 on the road.
That is a bad take.

We know the Big 12 is elite and the best conference. That is not going to change. Particularly in terms of the most difficult to get wins. That is why 7 wins may be enough to get in, but 8 is a lock.

A round-robin in which there are no sure games, no weak teams, is the hardest to make the tournament. Far harder than conferences with uneven schedules and top heavy.

And you won't find a conference with better than 20% of teams at KU and BU level. You won't find a conference with a higher percentage of its teams in the top-40.

NET is pretty weak right now.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
That is a bad take.

We know the Big 12 is elite and the best conference. That is not going to change. Particularly in terms of the most difficult to get wins. That is why 7 wins may be enough to get in, but 8 is a lock.

A round-robin in which there are no sure games, no weak teams, is the hardest to make the tournament. Far harder than conferences with uneven schedules and top heavy.

And you won't find a conference with better than 20% of teams at KU and BU level. You won't find a conference with a higher percentage of its teams in the top-40.

NET is pretty weak right now.
Why is their ranking so high? Half the league doesn’t have a top 50 win, so we actually do not know how good or bad they are. Your take is bad when you say for sure that the conference is elite. You do not know that, and using 10-12 games of analytics to make arguments is not sound.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Why is their ranking so high? Half the league doesn’t have a top 50 win, so we actually do not know how good or bad they are. Your take is bad when you say for sure that the conference is elite. You do not know that, and using 10-12 games of analytics to make arguments is not sound.
The ranking is so high because it has done well enough compared to the other leagues. 20% of the conference is viewed as elite. 40%-50% as very good. 100% as capable of being a tournament team, if not for postseason bans

Basic math also favors it. We also know it is the only round robin in which all games played will not feature a bad team, and it will have the highest percentage of games be top-30 matchups. It is by far the most challenging.

It’s inconsistent to say we don’t know how good the Big 12 is. Yes, no one can predict the future. But based on 12 games, it will be very unlikely it finishes worse than 2nd. You won’t find any expert that would make such an argument. We know it is very good. We know it is the biggest challenge in terms of getting wins if you’re a top-30 to 40 team.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
My concern about conference play is injuries. We know the league is a gauntlet but I’d say anywhere from 7 to 11 is realistic if we stay healthy. But as frontloaded as the schedule is, a relatively poor start plus injuries affecting us down the home stretch might cause us to miss the tournament. Got to stay healthy to bank some wins in the second half of the season.

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
The ranking is so high because it has done well enough compared to the other leagues. 20% of the conference is viewed as elite. 40%-50% as very good. 100% as capable of being a tournament team, if not for postseason bans

Basic math also favors it. We also know it is the only round robin in which all games played will not feature a bad team, and it will have the highest percentage of games be top-30 matchups. It is by far the most challenging.

It’s inconsistent to say we don’t know how good the Big 12 is. Yes, no one can predict the future. But based on 12 games, it will be very unlikely it finishes worse than 2nd. You won’t find any expert that would make such an argument. We know it is very good. We know it is the biggest challenge in terms of getting wins if you’re a top-30 to 40 team.
[/QUOTE
We don’t know if KSU or TCU are tournament teams, not yet. Texas hasn’t beaten anyone with a pulse and Oklahoma lost to Butler, who is terrible, and Utah St, who was embarrassed by Iowa. While it is true, there are no terrible teams, I think the race to the top is wide open and could be won by a handful of teams.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It is insane how good the Big 12 is this year.

What gives me hope is that I don't think we've seen our best on offense. Hunter can improve, Gabe can hopefully get back to being streaky, Enaruna and Kunc together etc.

Defense and effort will have to carry us at times, but it is encouraging to me that the offense has shown the most pop against the best teams, and that will be needed against a murderer's row of great defenses.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
6-12, B12 is brutal, please surprise me.

Before the season I was hoping for double digit wins...

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
How do we have 25 ‘fans’ that voted for 5-6 wins? You 25 need to quit the CF forums, and run down to your nearest Walmart and get a hok tshirt (if you don’t have one already). We don’t need ya!
Is probably say they are cautious, but hopeful for better.

Reactions: pourcyne

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
I don't know. Creighton is ranked 58th in the net, which would put them 7th in the conference right behind TCU. Don't get me wrong, that was a good win on the road, but the Big XII is just that tough this year.
I agree. I misread the post. I thought he was saying top half of the conference they're playing in, and Creighton just destroyed Villanova

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

The Big 12 is a combined 96-16 in the non-conference. 7 out of 10 teams are top 40 and the "bottom" teams are both still top 70 teams on KenPom currently.

11 wins is extremely optimistic even though we performed as a top 20 team analytically in the non-conference when removing preseason bias. I would sign up for 8-10 right now.

Reactions: NoCreativity

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm going to go 7-11 and just on the right side of the bubble.

Absolutely remarkable job out of this staff and team.