Players that should get drafted this year

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
Is age that big an issue in the NFL? NBA, sure, but typical NFL careers are much shorter anyway. Seems like an older, more mature (physically and personality) DLman would be an asset.
For Edge I would say that age is an issue, teams are looking for athletic freaks that they can develop and fine tune. I believe that for ILB I think teams actually prefer getting players that are experience/already men. I think that DL is in between, I think they would prefer if Enyi was 22 but it took him this long to develop. It doesn't help but I don't think it hurts him much.

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
GMs don’t give a **** about what school someone went to, unless it’s a gimmick offense like the old Hawaii Offense or a triple option or some ****. People thinking that Al didn’t get drafted because he went to ISU are crazy. GMs truly don’t care.
It's not the end all be all but to say GM's don't care where someone went to school, simply isn't true

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Deshaunte wasn’t a very polished route runner. He was a guy in space who could break out a big play with good speed, but did not have the route tree and skillset Hutch has. I mostly remember him running pretty simple routes for us. And he was very good at that role for what it’s worth.

I don’t think Covid was the biggest issue there. Marcel Spears got a shot in camp that year. People still signed UDFA’s. Jones didn’t even get a contract.

Ok yes, i exaggerated that there were zero udfa. There was no preseason and limited rosters (80), so there was a greatly reduced number of players invited into camps or signed. He most certainly wouldve been in a camp in a normal year, and covid 100% had a huge impact on him not getting a chance to be seen. Not saying he wouldve made a team, but a camp? For sure.

His routes may have had as much to do w the fact we had other studs and he was used for clear outs as opposed to an inability to run the routes.

Last edited:

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
It's not the end all be all but to say GM's don't care where someone went to school, simply isn't true
Blue bloods get players drafted every year that basically didn't produce at all in college. GMs do care what school you went to, not so much as a disqualifier though.

Reactions: Londo

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
The people that say Hutch won't get drafted are living in another universe.

He's not the speediest receiver, but he's not slow (40 time of 4.5 or whatever). He's not the biggest receiver but he's not small. More importantly he runs great routes, NEVER gives less than 100%, and catches every kind of ball imaginable.

Let's look at someone like a Mike Evans, someone who has 1.5 to 2 inches on Hutch but is also a little bit slower. Evans had the benefit of playing during Manzielmania but caught every ball that was in his vicinity. He parlayed that into a 7th overall pick selection and has been nothing but a model of consistency (at an ultra high level) since.

Elite quarterbacks like Brady, Mahomes, Rogers, etc want guys who are where they are supposed to be and, when the ball is put on target, make the plays. I see absolutely no reason why Hutch can't or won't run great routes and continue to catch everything at the next level. If he runs sub 4.5 (which I think he will), shows at least a decent vertical, and impresses during team interviews he will 100% get drafted. Moreover teams would be incredibly dumb to even let him slip to the 5th round.

IMO the 3 most sure fire NFLers we have are McDonald (easily number 1), Kolar, and Hutch. If any player will be unduly hurt by metrics it will be Rose, I also see him succeeding at the next level (constant contributer with a long career).

My biggest question mark is Breece. He has excellent vision but needs a zone blocking team to fully utilize those talents. He will be drafted but I have no idea as to where he will or possibly even should go.
Hutch also is great at breaking tackles. He's got adequate speed, but has plenty of size and strength, as well as having great hands and route running ability. I would be surprised if he doesn't get drafted.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
E3F7AD6C-230E-4742-BF3E-62E67BFA906A.jpeg
Will McDonald is now officially on team radars. Walterfootball, a well known draft site, just did a write up on him.

Teams apparently are raving about his pass rushing skills but sounds like his rush defense is a big knock. Does that sound a little harsh? It hasn’t exactly been his strength, but don’t remember him being terrible exactly.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
View attachment 92125
Will McDonald is now officially on team radars. Walterfootball, a well known draft site, just did a write up on him.

Teams apparently are raving about his pass rushing skills but sounds like his rush defense is a big knock. Does that sound a little harsh? It hasn’t exactly been his strength, but don’t remember him being terrible exactly.

He hasn’t been bad vs run this year. And playing D line against run in ISU’s defense is a challenge.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
He hasn’t been bad vs run this year. And playing D line against run in ISU’s defense is a challenge.
Yeah, Walt’s honestly not the perfect source on this stuff and definitely gets proven wrong at times. He is a well known mock draft site who has been around since the early internet days, but he’ll get sloppy with his evaluating.

Regardless, it’s good to see he’s finally getting attention. Round 2-4 I would argue sounds about right for the guy for now.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Posted this in the Senior Bowl thread but it is on point here.

ESPN has Scout Inc. draft rankings for the top 300 or so. Here are the Cyclones on it as of right now and their overall ranking. I added the round that the ranking equates to.

Breece Hall - #36 (2nd)
Will McDonald - #89 (3rd)
Charlie Kolar - #101 (3rd/4th)
Mike Rose - #106 (3rd/4th)
Enyi Uwazurike - #193 (6th)
Brock Purdy - #291 (UDFA)
Tarique Milton - #296 (UDFA)
O'Rien Vance - #297 (UDFA)

The only guy on this list who I think might come back is McDonald, and if he is getting a 3rd round grade then I could see it go either way with him returning or going. He has immense pass rushing talent but if he used another year to work on some other skills, he could play into the first round.

No Xavier Hutchinson or any of the senior DBs on the list.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Posted this in the Senior Bowl thread but it is on point here.

ESPN has Scout Inc. draft rankings for the top 300 or so. Here are the Cyclones on it as of right now and their overall ranking. I added the round that the ranking equates to.

Breece Hall - #36 (2nd)
Will McDonald - #89 (3rd)
Charlie Kolar - #101 (3rd/4th)
Mike Rose - #106 (3rd/4th)
Enyi Uwazurike - #193 (6th)
Brock Purdy - #291 (UDFA)
Tarique Milton - #296 (UDFA)
O'Rien Vance - #297 (UDFA)

The only guy on this list who I think might come back is McDonald, and if he is getting a 3rd round grade then I could see it go either way with him returning or going. He has immense pass rushing talent but if he used another year to work on some other skills, he could play into the first round.

No Xavier Hutchinson or any of the senior DBs on the list.
This is how I see everyone also. The senior DBs aren’t good enough to play in the NFL. Eisworth is great in the run but horrible in pass coverage. I can see Hutchison grading out after the combine/pro day as a late round pick also.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron