Perspective from the Big Ten and some much needed clarifications

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Or you sell $1 million of beer to the rubes in the stadium ...
There are rumblings about the Big Ten selling booze in all stadiums, I believe it is done by Minn already. Alcohol is only sold in the luxury boxes at others schools which alot of people dont like and some believe encourages binge drinking by students.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Fascinating stuff. The NFL has attempted parity with the draft and salary caps because they know it's essential to the success of the league. If CFB does not follow suit, their product will die of disinterest.

The whole NIL thing is rather ironic. Simplistically, we have ISU with 3 star kids beating teams with 5 star kids. This would strongly indicate coaching and their evaluation has much more to do with talent than ratings services. So, the NIL can be divided into two parts: coming out of high school as good OR building your reputation in college as good. If that's the case, two categories of recruiting will emerge: the existing high school recruiting, albeit with bribes and back channel payouts AND if unchecked (ie non-NCAA), other universities actively recruiting 'existing' college athletes (ie the SEC way).

My point is the existing unchecked path exhibited by the power grab we're now seeing is temporary unless heavily regulated and designed for parity.
Agreed, that is my CMC is so important he raises kids up beyond their star ranking or is able to identify diamonds in the rough.

I don't know the exact break down in ticket sales distribution but your numbers seem pretty close. Honestly I've only heard about the ticket sales split for non conference games so this is new info.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Completely different situation. Mainly because the Big 12 had no stability and has been in hospice since the last realignment. No one was confident in the longevity of the Big 12 which is why so many tried to leave it.
This never made sense though. The Big 12 was ahead of the ACC and FAR ahead of the PAC12 when it came to TV money and on field success. They weren't that far behind the SEC and Big Ten either. Why was it always the Big 12 that was seen as being on life support and not those other conferences? Almost 100 percent ESPN trying to kill the conference in my opinion.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This never made sense though. The Big 12 was ahead of the ACC and FAR ahead of the PAC12 when it came to TV money and on field success. They weren't that far behind the SEC and Big Ten either. Why was it always the Big 12 that was seen as being on life support and not those other conferences? Almost 100 percent ESPN trying to kill the conference in my opinion.

That, and there was always the instability in it structurally from having a Texas, despite concessions given them, constantly looking elsewhere rather than building up the conference they were in.

Giving them the concessions tells them they are not equal to the other members. Ripe for the picking.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It was viewed that way because it had been raided in the past and because of the disfunction with Texas. There were also rumblings that the next media deal was going to widen the gap between the big 12 and sec/big ten. I am sure you are right though that espn played a big role. I honestly think texas is making a mistake and is going to get crushed on the field for a bit further hurting their brand

Reactions: isutrevman

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The ACC and Pac 12 brought in more total money, but have more members so a 10 team big 12 gave each team more money per school, even though we were 5th in total dollars brought in by a conference.

As to the on the field performance, we had a Texas problem, Overall the ACC was nothing to write home about, Clemson playing in 3 championship games in a row and winning one says to many that they are on par with the SEC or slightly below it. Not true but perception is everything today. While the Big 12 has had OU make the playoff about half the time and still has not won a game, while Texas our other anchor school has been like Florida State from the ACC a major disappointment in football.
The Pac 12 also has the same perception problem, USC is down and Oregon has done nothing in the playoff.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The ACC and Pac 12 brought in more total money, but have more members so a 10 team big 12 gave each team more money per school, even though we were 5th in total dollars brought in by a conference.

As to the on the field performance, we had a Texas problem, Overall the ACC was nothing to write home about, Clemson playing in 3 championship games in a row and winning one says to many that they are on par with the SEC or slightly below it. Not true but perception is everything today. While the Big 12 has had OU make the playoff about half the time and still has not won a game, while Texas our other anchor school has been like Florida State from the ACC a major disappointment in football.
The Pac 12 also has the same perception problem, USC is down and Oregon has done nothing in the playoff.
Yeah, but the Big 12 could have added more schools to match the ACC or PAC12 and would have been making more total, and per school.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yeah, but the Big 12 could have added more schools to match the ACC or PAC12 and would have been making more total, and per school.
If they could have made more money by expanding a few years ago, they would of. Schools like Memphis, Houston and the rest were not going to bring in more money per school than what each was getting by staying at 10. Its the same logic that hurts ISU and KU joining the Big 10.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclad

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Some interesting comments from outgoing FSU president

If this means FSU/Clemson to SEC is could definitely see a 24 team super SEC in the works which could ultimately mean ISU to the B1G.

Lets say the SEC blows up the ACC.....FSU/Clemson/Miami/GT/WF/NC/Louisville and throw in emerging UCF to the SEC to form a 24 team Southeast monster.

B1G has to keep pace and the only pickup that makes that possible is ND. ACC blows up and that's on the table....can't see ND wanting to be part of the SEC. B1G picks up ND/Virginia/VT/Duke//Syracuse/BC to lock in the Northeast market. Makes PSU happy......gets the B1G to 22.

Pick up KU/ISU to get to 24....makes geographical sense. ND alone provides the Marquee value. Lock in Northeast/Midwest markets and even though this is a football move.......Basketball would be a monster.

Pac 12 picks up remaining B12 teams....BYU/UNLV/BSU for a clear 3rd place conference but with USC/OREGON/Stanford/Wash giving them some legit football clout.
In this scenario would it make more sense for ISU in the SEC? That would add 100% of Iowa eyes to their conference. Granted, Iowa is a small population state, but there is a financial gain that way for SEC that B1G would not see the whole 100% of.

• Haha
Reactions: dexterhawk

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
@FriendlySpartan
I've heard that B1G share some of it ticket sales with the schools that have poor attendance.

Can you verify and explain how that works.

Any idea how much we would be paing into that assuming our average attendance stays above 60k and Rutgers stays below 20k

Last I knew, the Big Ten teams share 35% of net gate receipts from conference home games, up to $1 million per game and at a minimum of $300,000 per game. The money is collected into a pool and then is split evenly among all the B1G members. The teams with the higher gate receipts (think OSU, PSU, Nebraska, Michigan....) end up losing money on the deal, while schools like Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers gain money on it.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
In this scenario would it make more sense for ISU in the SEC? That would add 100% of Iowa eyes to their conference. Granted, Iowa is a small population state, but there is a financial gain that way for SEC that B1G would not see the whole 100% of.
Yeah I’ve been wondering if this might be the way forward for ESPN now. To dissolve the conference you give a few of the schools better outs than the AAC. Would still be new footprint states for either the ACC or SEC.

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
BIG 14
EAST
/ WEST
W.Virginia / Kansas
Cincinnati / Kansas State
UCF / Oklahoma State
USF / Texas Tech
Iowa State / TCU
Memphis / Baylor
Houston / BYU

By being in the East Division, Iowa State gets games in Ohio,

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
BIG 14
EAST
/ WEST
W.Virginia / Kansas
Cincinnati / Kansas State
UCF / Oklahoma State
USF / Texas Tech
Iowa State / TCU
Memphis / Baylor
Houston / BYU

By being in the East Division, Iowa State gets games in Ohio,
That could/would be a great conference. I just don't think it would be monetarily as competitive as we are used to, or as it needs to be. I like the concept though.

Plus I don't think the orphaned 8 are going to all stick together like this.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This doesn't have to mean adding a single team...

The sec has put all of college football on notice.... the pac and the acc are a mess... they are just hoping their tv deals approach what the sec and b10 will make. In the short term ACC is safe due to the terrible contract that they signed with espn that locks up the GoR but does not allow them to renegotiate until 2036 unless they add teams. By that time they will be so far behind the brand name schools will be able to pay penalties, etc and get out early to join a league making 2x (or more) what the ACC is paying. (side note: this is why once the b12 dissolves or we get to 2025, 1 or 2 b12 schools may get a spot in the ACC - they need to expand to renegotiate the deal and ND is not joining... so, they need to add best available).

So, if you are the ACC or PAC and you do not see the writing on the wall you are insane... With the B12 gone, the next rounds of realignment will be to take from pac/acc.

B10's options:

1) raid pac / acc before sec.... or
2) partner with the pac / acc and create a college football league.

For membership teams need to pool rights (similar to the NFL) and members get equal payouts. sec can join or they can play in a 16 team league by themselves. This is a long term play that will take time, but by doing this the b10 and the rest of the conf can remain in tact and take control away from sec/espn and step into the power void in college football.

Today college football is shaped by the media partners based on their best interest... that is clear. The b10 would likely make a little less per school than they could (still more than they do now so not talking pay cut just smaller increase). But it would keep everyone on par in terms of media revenue and stop the craziness...

i am sure there are issues with the above... my main point is the b10 is the only conference with the ability to stop this if they want. They could chose instead to play the game and move to a 16 v. 16 or 20 v. 20 type of scenario... no idea what they want CFB to look like.
Fascinating stuff. The NFL has attempted parity with the draft and salary caps because they know it's essential to the success of the league. If CFB does not follow suit, their product will die of disinterest.

The whole NIL thing is rather ironic. Simplistically, we have ISU with 3 star kids beating teams with 5 star kids. This would strongly indicate coaching and their evaluation has much more to do with talent than ratings services. So, the NIL can be divided into two parts: coming out of high school as good OR building your reputation in college as good. If that's the case, two categories of recruiting will emerge: the existing high school recruiting, albeit with bribes and back channel payouts AND if unchecked (ie non-NCAA), other universities actively recruiting 'existing' college athletes (ie the SEC way).

My point is the existing unchecked path exhibited by the power grab we're now seeing is temporary unless heavily regulated and designed for parity.
You guys and some others here, are giving me some hope. I just don't see how college football can go down so easily without a fight. I like how you guys are keeping up with other articles/info, which I/many do not have time to read nor access to.

Hopefully in time, college football will find its way and continue to be what it essentially is now. I have to admit I was pretty bummed after this thread.
Ok I have to say it. | CycloneFanatic: The Internet's most popular site for fans of the Iowa State Cyclones

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
As a lot has been made of the percentage of academic income vs athletic income, I wonder how these same schools compare in that area. Anyone?

the b10 is significantly higher I believe. But the ivy’s have huge money… to be competitive in academics though it takes huge money (dwarfs athletic spend). But it’s not likely that schools move huge dollars away from academics to fund semi pro football (also not clear how much could be moved in many cases). Philosophy in big ten and sec is clearly different. Sec football is a huge part of their identity and they are not trying to compete like the big 10 is in academics. So, to understand how academic budgets may impact this is very complicated.

example (may not be the best, but just took the top football schools for comparison), looking at osu and Alabama endowments…

OSU: about $5.3B
Alabama: about $0.8B

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
@FriendlySpartan
Come out for the Cy-Hawk game. It will be loud. One heck of a tailgate. But not that hostile.

By the time the Texas game rolls around, the Governor may need to call out the National Guard for riot control.

Unless, of course, you want to take notes on how to throw a good old fashioned four alarm dumpster fire riot. Google VEISHEA riots if you wat to know what I'm talking about.
Did someone say VEISHEA riot? I’m up for number 3. Friday night on Welch gotta be.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thanks for the feedback!
Only reason i bring up the difficulty of potentially replacing CMC is because we were in a very similar situation and lost all our momentum we gained by winning the bcs bowls, getting to the playoffs and recruting 5 stars. Absolutly no reason our failures need to become yours though.

I mentioned endowments in regards to NIL which is going to be chaos for a big but alot of big ten schools have billionaire donors that love supporting athletics. This could balance the playing field a bit with the SEC if done right but nothing is guarenteed.

AAU status is seen as mandatory for admission but they also have to be able to move the needle

Very much agree I could be wrong on everything. Obv didn't see this move by texas coming so soon.
Do you see any issues with the Cali schools and their boycott on certain states (Iowa is one of 20 or so) states that they are not allowed to use public funds for travel? It would make the state schools a difficult sell if they have to travel to those states more than once a year or so.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They may not want any of that. In fact they probably don't. But what are they supposed to do about it?

With the currently unfolding ******** happening regarding "conference/ESPN" expansion, they shouldn't touch anything with a ten foot pole any time soon. I know I wouldn't.

Who is going to risk trying to leave a conference for a different one for ANY reason at this point in time? They'll wait out the carnage and see what shakes out. IMO of course.
What they can do is basically tell SEC they don’t want to join some 30 team super league because it’s going to kill CFB.
And of course no one will risk leaving a conference but the reality is this. OSU, PSU and Michigan are National football brands and are going to be included in anything that happens. In the ACC it’s ND, Clemson, maybe FSU. In the PAC it’s probably USC and Oregon. Now that doesn’t mean the rest are equal, there are some upper level teams outside that group like Wisconsin, but everyone outside of the top 3 or so of the Big 10, ACC and PAC are largely regional draws. And many of those schools might be included, but they might have to take lower shares in a future league. Does Wisconsin or UNC need to sweat being left out? No. Do they need to worry about getting a raw deal? Sure.