Perspective from the Big Ten and some much needed clarifications

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Hey everyone! I found this blog when I was looking to see the reactions from the rest of the big 12 fan bases. This site has to be one of the best fan pages I have ever seen and your community/fans are absolutely incredible. I'm not sure if it was because your division was the one getting raided last time or if your fanbase didn't care about realignment last time but I have seen a lot of comments on here get some attention that don't have much basis in reality. For the record I was a Michigan State undergrad, Michigan grad student, who worked in the athletics dept at State during the last restructuring (nowhere near high enough to make decisions but was briefed on the process) and also have family/friends on the boards of both big ten schools in Michigan. Figured I could add a different view that will give a bit of hope but also a reality check.

1. No one from the ACC is going anywhere for at least a decade due to the GoR. Maybe in 2030ish there might be talks but that contract is ironclad and as much as the big ten would love to add UVA and UNC that just isn't happening.

2. Academics are unbelievably important (which is good for you guys). Remember the school presidents are the ones that make conference decisions, not the athletic directors or commissioner. You might be aware from Iowa fans but the big ten is arrogant as hell and views themselves to be far superior to the schools in the south. There is no way they are adding a school unless the academics are inline. Nebraska was only allowed in because they were supposed to be a football power. Many presidents hate the fact that they are in the league and are almost irrelevant in football. The ACC has similar views and that is probably why WVU is royally screwed here.

3. Michigan and Ohio State aren't going anywhere. I cant say this enough, there is no concern about these schools leaving the conference. Keyboard warriors and sports blogs might be spouting this nonsense but sports do not run these schools especially in a place like Michigan who loses out on great recruits all the time due to academics.

4. This move was an unbelievable power move by the SEC but they were doing it to catch up (and probably pass) the big ten who regardless of on field success was bringing in more money then each SEC school. Most big ten schools bring in around 55mil each year on media rights and the contract is up for renewal in 2 years. Most people are expecting the new contract to pay out around 70-80mil per school. Because of this there is no real incentive to add more schools just to add them. I know people really want 16 team conferences but the big ten doesn't really need to add schools that don't move the needle and no other school out their besides ND moves the needle like Texas and Oklahoma.

5. This last one is more of a warning then anything else. State had a similar run to what you are experiencing in football. We won the rose and cotton bowls when they mattered and also went to the playoffs. Then our coordinators got poached, our scheme got figured out and were back to being a middle of the road football team. Many people think this will happen to ISU once CMC leaves. I really hope he doesn't but damn you have to pray Harbaugh does well this year or they are going to back up the brinks truck.

If you guys joined the big ten I think it would be an awesome addition both geographically and for this amazing fan base but I would temper expectations because the big ten really doesn't need to make any moves. They were already in first place money wise and with the ACC's horrible rights deals that none of the schools can escape from its really going to be a 2 conference race for awhile. The big ten can just wait for the 2030's and add the teams they really want to or just sit still and do nothing at all.

Sorry for the long first post, hope you guys have an amazing season and dominate Texas and Oklahoma!!

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Replace “Michigan and Ohio State” with “Texas and Oklahoma,” and you could be Bob Bowlsby as of one week ago.

Completely different situation. Mainly because the Big 12 had no stability and has been in hospice since the last realignment. No one was confident in the longevity of the Big 12 which is why so many tried to leave it.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Completely different situation. Mainly because the Big 12 had no stability and has been in hospice since the last realignment. No one was confident in the longevity of the Big 12 which is why so many tried to leave it.

College sports is changing fast and is only going to continue to do so. We’ll see how much longer the big boys decide they want to share their cash with the Purdues and Northwesterns.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
College sports is changing fast and is only going to continue to do so. We’ll see how much longer the big boys decide they want to share their cash with the Purdues and Northwesterns.
I think its been discussed in other threads, but the amount of money these schools get from the academic side dwarfs what athletic departments are getting, so Ohio State or Michigan leaving the Big 10 seems highly unlikely.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

Totally agree but again the Big Ten is incredibly stable and insanely profitable. Northwestern just went to the big ten championship and both schools academics are far more valuable to the big ten then their sports teams. Once the NIL gets figured out the Big Ten money cannons are going to be very difficult for other conferences to keep up with.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Totally agree but again the Big Ten is incredibly stable and insanely profitable. Northwestern just went to the big ten championship and both schools academics are far more valuable to the big ten then their sports teams. Once the NIL gets figured out the Big Ten money cannons are going to be very difficult for other conferences to keep up with.

For what it’s worth I think the most likely medium-term outcome here is the B1G and SEC taking off into the stratosphere and gobbling up whoever is worthwhile from the other conferences as they go. I just don’t think that they will forget to leave behind the Purdues and Mississippi States before they do so. And that will be an especially ugly breakup.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
So my new perfect scenario is B16 kicks out Knebraska, takes ISU as an actual AAU member and a better sports program, and infinitely less annoying fans. Plus they don't have to split their cash any more! Win Win cause if we can't **** Texas, lets **** Nebbie! :D

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hey everyone! I found this blog when I was looking to see the reactions from the rest of the big 12 fan bases. This site has to be one of the best fan pages I have ever seen and your community/fans are absolutely incredible. I'm not sure if it was because your division was the one getting raided last time or if your fanbase didn't care about realignment last time but I have seen a lot of comments on here get some attention that don't have much basis in reality. For the record I was a Michigan State undergrad, Michigan grad student, who worked in the athletics dept at State during the last restructuring (nowhere near high enough to make decisions but was briefed on the process) and also have family/friends on the boards of both big ten schools in Michigan. Figured I could add a different view that will give a bit of hope but also a reality check.

1. No one from the ACC is going anywhere for at least a decade due to the GoR. Maybe in 2030ish there might be talks but that contract is ironclad and as much as the big ten would love to add UVA and UNC that just isn't happening.

2. Academics are unbelievably important (which is good for you guys). Remember the school presidents are the ones that make conference decisions, not the athletic directors or commissioner. You might be aware from Iowa fans but the big ten is arrogant as hell and views themselves to be far superior to the schools in the south. There is no way they are adding a school unless the academics are inline. Nebraska was only allowed in because they were supposed to be a football power. Many presidents hate the fact that they are in the league and are almost irrelevant in football. The ACC has similar views and that is probably why WVU is royally screwed here.

3. Michigan and Ohio State aren't going anywhere. I cant say this enough, there is no concern about these schools leaving the conference. Keyboard warriors and sports blogs might be spouting this nonsense but sports do not run these schools especially in a place like Michigan who loses out on great recruits all the time due to academics.

4. This move was an unbelievable power move by the SEC but they were doing it to catch up (and probably pass) the big ten who regardless of on field success was brining in more money then each SEC school. Most big ten schools bring in around 55mil each year on media rights and the contract is up for renewal in 2 years. Most people are expecting the new contract to pay out around 70-80mil per school. Because of this there is no real incentive to add more schools just to add them. I know people really want 16 team conferences but the big ten doesn't really need to add schools that don't move the needle and no other school out their besides ND moves the needle like Texas and Oklahoma.

5. This last one is more of a warning then anything else. State had a similar run to what you are experiencing in football. We won the rose and cotton bowls when they mattered and also went to the playoffs. Then our coordinators got poached, our scheme got figured out and were back to being a middle of the road football team. Many people think this will happen to ISU once CMC leaves. I really hope he doesn't but damn you have to pray Harbaugh does well this year or they are going to back up the brinks truck.

If you guys joined the big ten I think it would be an awesome addition both geographically and for this amazing fan base but I would temper expectations because the big ten really doesn't need to make any moves. They were already in first place money wise and with the ACC's horrible rights deals that none of the schools can escape from its really going to be a 2 conference race for awhile. The big ten can just wait for the 2030's and add the teams they really want to or just sit still and do nothing at all.

Sorry for the long first post, hope you guys have an amazing season and dominate Texas and Oklahoma!!

Good post...... and thanks a lot for beating Iowa in the Big Ten Championship in 2015.

kcbob79clone

4. This move was an unbelievable power move by the SEC but they were doing it to catch up (and probably pass) the big ten who regardless of on field success was bringing in more money then each SEC school. Most big ten schools bring in around 55mil each year on media rights and the contract is up for renewal in 2 years. Most people are expecting the new contract to pay out around 70-80mil per school. Because of this there is no real incentive to add more schools just to add them. I know people really want 16 team conferences but the big ten doesn't really need to add schools that don't move the needle and no other school out their besides ND moves the needle like Texas and Oklahoma.

Appreciate the info. I hope you are wrong but I'm afraid that you are right. We need the B1G more than the B1G needs us and that is never a good position to be in negotiation wise.

Only time will tell!

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
From your perspective do you think there's any truth to the rumors that the B1G may poach PAC12 schools?

I appreciate the insight, and I had pretty much resigned myself to ISU not getting a B1G invite this go-around. Next best scenarios I can see are either ISU gets added to an expanded PAC, or the B1G poaches the PAC and the leftovers join forces with the B12 leftovers.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop

Issue is that Iowa State doesn't check off the most important box, which you highlight on #4. Iowa State doesn't move the proverbial needle. It's because of this, Iowa State will never be invited into the Big 10.

• Useful
Reactions: CyBobby

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
From your perspective do you think there's any truth to the rumors that the B1G may poach PAC12 schools?

I appreciate the insight, and I had pretty much resigned myself to ISU not getting a B1G invite this go-around. Next best scenarios I can see are either ISU gets added to an expanded PAC, or the B1G poaches the PAC and the leftovers join forces with the B12 leftovers.

So this is pure speculation on my part because the pac 12 is such a mess that no one knows what is going on there. I think if they could swoop up Oregon and USC then they would in a heartbeat. Outside of Stanford nothing else really moves the needle because football is still king for ratings/revenue. But those schools have such a poor geographical fit that it adds an additional complication and I don't think they want to go over 16 teams. It is unbelievably difficult to remove a school from the conference so as much as i would love to drop nebraska and rutgers that just isn't realistic.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016

Appreciate your thoughts on this. I would say that there are some counterpoints to consider as well.

If the BIG sits tight until the 2030's, how large will the gap between the SEC and BIG have grown by then? It may be more about damage control than trying to keep up at this point.

The other would be that trajectories/projections of the fan base trends should be considered. ISU is one of the few growing fan bases with growing attendance/stadium capacity (3rd largest stadium in Big 12). Jack Trice would be a top half BiG stadium in a 16 team conference. 8th right after Kinnick and ahead of Illinois. There aren't many of those around. I'd even guess that your Sparty fan base is not on that same trajectory (not trying to be confrontational). It is truly rare in this age of shrinking attendance. Just a few more thoughts on the matter

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
So this is pure speculation on my part because the pac 12 is such a mess that no one knows what is going on there. I think if they could swoop up Oregon and USC then they would in a heartbeat. Outside of Stanford nothing else really moves the needle because football is still king for ratings/revenue. But those schools have such a poor geographical fit that it adds an additional complication and I don't think they want to go over 16 teams. It is unbelievably difficult to remove a school from the conference so as much as i would love to drop nebraska and rutgers that just isn't realistic.

Just like Iowa State doesn't move the needle.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyBobby

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

So, basically what you are implying is that the ONLY way or reason that the Big 10 would take in ISU is from the mere kindness of their hearts. Which in college sports or this greedy society isn't going to happen. But you came in peace, so I'll exit with thanks for the info and thanks for ruining my day.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
That was an awesome game. The last drive and reach by Scott into the endzone is one of my top 5 sparty football moments. Always happy to beat Iowa.

Loved how they just manhandled Iowa on that drive. Did they even have to throw one pass? It was a beautiful thing..... it was like MSU knew they were going to do it, looked so calm, and just trampled Iowa on the way to the endzone on that drive.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan