vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
Definitely a great pie. I'd rank them as:
1. French Silk
2. Pumpkin
3. Pecan
4. Cocunut cream
5. Apple or Cherry - depends on the mood

Side note: I've never had sweet potato pie, but it sounds gross.

As a native midwesterner, I had also never had sweet potato pie until a year ago. I now live in Virginia, where it's pretty popular. If you like pumpkin, you'd probably also like sweet potato. I'd say they're quite similar, but sweet potato is less firm and a bit sweeter.

For the record, my favorite pie has been pecan for many years, and my favorite pecan pie ever was made by a cook on my submarine (about 15 years ago) who was given free reign to be creative for Thanksgiving. I'm sure that breaking the monotony of food-service meals for weeks at a time was a big part of what made it special, but I'll always remember it.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
It's delicious, but please clarify whether this was "pee-can" pie or "pi-kahn" pie.
It's puh-KAHN, as any good Texan will tell you. It's also my specialty. The recipe I have dates back to the late 1800s. Maybe before that, but that's the farthest my sister was able to trace it back.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
If you haven’t tried pecan pie you’re missing out. Anyone who says they hate it is a monster. Warm apple pie with ice cream is fantastic as well.
Apple varies so much. If it's the right ratio of a crap-ton of crunchy brown sugar or an amazing crust on top to a small amount of apple and equal bites of ice cream, that's tough to beat. Cold apple pie is gross. Gotta be warm.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
French silk pie, while tasty, is the white-trashiest of pies. Just dip a Graham cracker in a chocolate Snack Pack already. A good pecan, apple, rhubarb or pumpkin pie beats French silk hands down.

Then again, some of you guys complain if a burger has anything more than ketchup and cheese on it too, so I guess I'm not surprised.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Can we stop mentioning pumpkin as being one of the best pies. If pumpkin pie were that good, people would eat it all year, not just for one month from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

• Winner
Reactions: kurimski

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Can we stop mentioning pumpkin as being one of the best pies. If pumpkin pie were that good, people would eat it all year, not just for one month from Thanksgiving to Christmas.
You could apply that logic to several things. I love a good Shandy on a hot summer day, but would never want one in January. Some stuff just tastes better depending on the season.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Pecan is a high ceiling low floor pie. It can be elite or disgusting slimy gel.

It has been climbing my list.