Paul Chryst Fired

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
For some reason, Chryst agreed to a lower payout of $11 million instead of the almost $20 million he is owed under the terms of the contract. Wonder what Wisconsin had on him that he wanted to keep quiet and go away quietly.
Full payment is due Feb. 1st of next year.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
For some reason, Chryst agreed to a lower payout of $11 million instead of the almost $20 million he is owed under the terms of the contract. Wonder what Wisconsin had on him that he wanted to keep quiet and go away quietly.

Realistically nothing. It's probably more that he either gets it all now (as opposed to being spread out over several years) or there's no offset if he decides to coach again.

Not everything happens because someone has skeletons in their closet

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Realistically nothing. It's probably more that he either gets it all now (as opposed to being spread out over several years) or there's no offset if he decides to coach again.

Not everything happens because someone has skeletons in their closet
Maybe, but he took 55% of what the contract said he was owed, and even if they paid him out till the end, the contract ran out in Jan. of 2027. If he took another job, then he still ends up with the $20 million, the difference would be that Wisconsin would be out less money. Chryst new salary would be deducted from his old salary.

Dowwmeow

Sep 24, 2022

Hey, what’s 9 million dollars among friends…right?!

• Love
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Maybe, but he took 55% of what the contract said he was owed, and even if they paid him out till the end, the contract ran out in Jan. of 2027. If he took another job, then he still ends up with the $20 million, the difference would be that Wisconsin would be out less money. Chryst new salary would be deducted from his old salary.
And he potentially would also be out money. He now has the opportunity to make more than 20 million by January 2027.

I don't know his contract, so I don't know what they would have given him in exchange for him agreeing to a lower buyout. But that's a lot more likely than them having some dirt on him

• Optimistic
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
My tinfoil hat conspiracy is that Chryst was going to retire at the end of the year and so Wisconsin “fired” him both as a favor to give him the buyout and to give Leonhard some time to adjust. But because it wasn’t an “actual firing” they negotiated a reduced buyout. The “proof” is that Christ’s dad died in his 50’s from a heart attack and apparently Chryst once said something about not coaching in his 60’s/late 60’s.

In terms of why he actually accepted a reduced buyout, I think the most likely reason is there was something in the buyout that they waived in exchange for less money (e.g. the buy-out would be reduced by future earnings he made as a coach).

It’s also possible it was done as a favor/my “conspiracy” above. Chryst was born in Madison and lived in Madison for several years growing up, his dad was a coach at Wisconsin, Chryst played at Wisconsin, he was a long-time coordinator here, and they have had a family cabin up north for years.

Finally, I guess it’s possible that there was a scandal brewing and if he didn’t accept the reduced buyout they would try to fire him for cause. But I don’t think there’s any way it’s this one. It’s theoretically possible but I doubt it.
His dad was a coach at UW Platteville and died choking while eating nuts on a recruiting trip.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Leipold would be a great hire for them, but they may go the Notre Dame route and hire the young assistant.
I do believe, they will consider Leipold very seriously. He's a Wisc guy through and through. He would be a perfect fit. Especially in that division where the teams are very soft.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA

A buddy of mine is a UW fan and mentioned it would be ironic if Chryst ended up at Nebraska. At first I said no chance because he’ll wait for the buyout, but with that being expedited now…

Is there any chance he ends up there?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
A buddy of mine is a UW fan and mentioned it would be ironic if Chryst ended up at Nebraska. At first I said no chance because he’ll wait for the buyout, but with that being expedited now…

Is there any chance he ends up there?
I guess if he enjoys getting fired for winning 9-10 games per season there is.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I guess if he enjoys getting fired for winning 9-10 games per season there is.
I know that’s the joke but maybe they’ll realize how far they’ve fallen since Bo Pelini and jump at the chance just to have that again? Then again, they probably won’t.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I know that many consider Leonhard a rising start in coaching, but I am not sold on him yet.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron