Our Offense

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
As bad as our offense has looked recently against good defenses I’m hoping this might be some kind of breakthrough game.

Gabe knocking down 3s was obviously a huge factor, but consider we just did the following against the #1 scoring defense in the country and a quiet night from IB…

- 79 points (UT averaging 53)
- 57% from the field (think our highest this season)
- 16 free throw attempts despite lopsided officiating again
- 22 assists on 29 field goals
- 29 points from the bench (mostly good looks from 3 or layups)

Not sure what we did different tonight other than knocking down 3s, but really encouraged. Feels like w head our first complete offensive game in awhile.

Is this as simple as us having a reasonable 3 point shooting threat to open things up?

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
They shot like 62% after the first 5 minutes. It was quite toasty in Hilton today.
Agree. Mostly good looks. Didn’t feel like we were rushing for shots late in the clock today - although Gabe certainly bailed us out with a few of them at crucial moments.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree. Mostly good looks. Didn’t feel like we were rushing for shots late in the clock today - although Gabe certainly bailed us out with a few of them at crucial moments.

Looks to be key. Patience with the ball and playing within themselves. When they try to do what they really can't it gets ugly.

Jones slowing down a little has helped too.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
higher ranked team playing at home against the enemy of the big 12 - and still get sctewed by the refs.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
No matter how excited we get for these 'Gabe games', I just think this team will be inconsistent and challenged on offense all year. Some games less than others of course. Therefore, my favorite thing about this team is how they ALL have 'bought in' to playing this gritty, aggressive 'team' defense. We wouldn't be this successful with just the starters doing it either.... its ALL 9 guys that played.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Man, when Gabe is on, this team is really hard to beat. More consistency from him would push this team to the top.
If Gabe and Brock are ever on at the same time I bet we could beat almost anyone. But it seems so hard for both them to be on at the same time.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
You know it was hot when Kunc hit the 60 ft and it didn't even count.
Also, I just checked: so far for the season we are over on 7 games/under on 10 for an average of 5.5 pts under the point total. We have covered the spread 11 times with an average of beating it by 6.5 pts.

So for example, if the line against Tech on Tuesday is 58-61, to be on average for the season we would win 58-55 (under total pts by 6, beat the spread by 6). I don't care how, just win baby.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I thought our offense was really good against Baylor too. We didn't shoot the ball well from 3, but we got ourselves a crazy amount of dunks/layups in that game.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
As bad as our offense has looked recently against good defenses I’m hoping this might be some kind of breakthrough game.

Gabe knocking down 3s was obviously a huge factor, but consider we just did the following against the #1 scoring defense in the country and a quiet night from IB…

Not sure what we did different tonight other than knocking down 3s, but really encouraged. Feels like w head our first complete offensive game in awhile.

Is this as simple as us having a reasonable 3 point shooting threat to open things up?

I feel like we changed up things just a bit late in the game against KU, and today, in making sure that our best scorers were getting the ball out top to stress the defense. Key today was points off turnovers, as has been mentioned.

cy90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 12, 2010

Let’s give TJ credit for sticking with Gabe.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
23 points off turnovers, or almost 30%. This team is never going to be outstanding in a half-court offense, but they also know how to unlock some easy buckets.

THIS is where this defense is trending now. They know what they need to do as a unit and now they can go hunt turnovers. We’re only going to get tougher and more hardened on Defense.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If Gabe and Brock are ever on at the same time I bet we could beat almost anyone. But it seems so hard for both them to be on at the same time.

One or the other is probably getting the shots.

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
I'm no expert analyst, but t seems like one thing the coaching staff is doing well is watching who is scoring against a particular defense early in the game and making a concerted effort to get them more shots. Our guys seem to be unselfish enough for it work.

Reactions: Cyclonepride