Our Offense

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
what are we doing? someone who knows more basketball than me explain why the ball gets stuck at the high post with our 5 so often? it looks like we are playing a point center at times.

is it sticking there by design or is a result of everything else getting taken away once the ball gets there and GC and RJ aren't skilled enough to get rid of it efficiently?

its just beyond bizarre at this point.

Reactions: clonehome

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
what are we doing? someone who knows more basketball than me explain why the ball gets stuck at the high post with our 5 so often? it looks like we are playing a point center at times.

is it sticking there by design or is a result of everything else getting taken away once the ball gets there and GC and RJ aren't skilled enough to get rid of it efficiently?

Not sure but I think your 2nd paragraph does it.

I'm not sure where else you put thrm to at least draw the other 5 out a bit since the perimeter gets pressure so easily.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

It's simple they are getting the ball there to free up the lane for a cutter to drive to the basket, but none of our bigs has the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop on a consistent basis, nor can they turn and hit the shot.

It is what it is, we are not going to get a lot of scoring out of our #5 position on a regular basis.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Man, when Gabe is on, this team is really hard to beat. More consistency from him would push this team to the top.
Agree with this but we can’t depend on that to score points because nothing about this season shows he is going to be consistent. If he is on great but need to create better looks for Brockington in his spots he excels and develop some offenseive sets for some others who maybe weren’t originally thought to have plays drawn up for them like Jaz and Enaruna. We are still overachieving but TJ going to have to continue to adjust as teams are to us.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Not sure but I think your 2nd paragraph does it.

I'm not sure where else you put thrm to at least draw the other 5 out a bit since the perimeter gets pressure so easily.
It's kind of a whole mix of bad on offense sometimes. Getting the 5 the ball where they do does in theory open things up for cutters, and it's not like pounding the rock into the post is gonna produce much, anyway. But when no one can get open, it gets really ugly. Don't really have a 5 on the roster that can dribble drive and unfortunately, those don't really grow on trees, either. I'm not sold on it being the best thing long term because of that, but in general I think we kind of just have to take our medicine on offense this year.

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016

We've had some success with Kunc as the small ball 5 getting the ball here with his ability to shoot the 3 and drive. Unfortunately, that probably leaves us vulnerable rebounding and guarding the rim without GC or RJ in the game. But agreed, neither GC or RJ have the offensive skill set to do anything with the ball at the top of the key. With Tyrese being a better driver then shooter, I'd like to see him run more pick and roll with GC rolling to the rim and shooters getting in position for a kick out 3.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I think TJ needs to come up with another set besides a big catching a pass above the foul line and running cutters off of it. Teams overplay the cutters and hound Conditt and Jones into turnovers. If they run that I would put Enaruna in that spot since he has some ability to attack off of it.

In a game like this where you can’t make anything from 3 you might as well attack the basket and try to get to the line. I would have been happy with an iso for Brockington on every possession. Let him take 35 shots and go for 40+. We might have cobbled together enough points to have a chance at the end.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I think TJ needs to come up with another set besides a big catching a pass above the foul line and running cutters off of it. Teams overplay the cutters and hound Conditt and Jones into turnovers. If they run that I would put Enaruna in that spot since he has some ability to attack off of it.

In a game like this where you can’t make anything from 3 you might as well attack the basket and try to get to the line. I would have been happy with an iso for Brockington on every possession. Let him take 35 shots and go for 40+. We might have cobbled together enough points to have a chance at the end.
That sounds better than what I saw for the 7 minutes I watched. I was going to say, based on the thread title, that yes, we should try playing offense soon.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
To me what is the most frustration is for as much ball pressure and turnovers we force we don't see to capitalize on points off fast breaks after that. Would just love to see everyone head to the hoop after a turnover and see if we can get a foul or blown assignment for an easy basket.

The other thing I notice is our offense seems to stall when we run it as in the ball gets stuck at the FT line with a big and he's looking around for someone to pass to or we have 1 guy dribble too much looking for a cutter or 1 on 1 opportunity. Need to move the ball more side to side and find some cutters or a post that has established position in the paint. We aren't going to outshoot teams from the 3 that is pretty obvious at this point so we need to find an identity on offense somehow and give us some better looks with higher percentage type shots. There is no way we should lose a game in Hilton holding a team under 60 points.

I know this team is limited offensively but there is athleticism on this roster as evidenced by how tough our defense plays and hounds the ball. Besides Brockington we don't have much for goto guys but we do have nice pieces around him we could use better. I think Hunter could be a goto guy too if he would not shy away from going to the basket more. Kalschuer could be a little more aggressive attacking the basket too. Conditt and Jones are going to get their points when the defense collapses and someone leaves them, I don't see much for set plays for them in the post. Enaruna is a wild card because he shows flashes of being a nice stretch 4 type of guy but could be more aggressive when he touches the ball too. We seem a little hesitant at times and settle for tougher jump shots than trying to drive and get the ball into the paint and draw some more contact. I'd love to see us turn games into free throw shooting contests than chucking up a bunch of bad looking 3's and jumpers like we did today.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron