Otzelberger's First Recruiting/Transfer Class - FULL

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
If we get Bockington that is another guard who struggles with his shooting. I'm not saying we shouldn't take him but it will be interesting to see how our offenses progresses taking into account these numbers from our guys in their most reason seasons:

• Kalscheur- 25% from 3 on 5.2 attempts per game
  • Jackson- 27% from 3 on 4.1 attempts per game
  • Walker- 29% from 3 on 1 attempt per game
  • Kunc- 34% from 3 on 2.7 attempts per game
  • Enaruna- 23% from 3 on 1 attempt per game
  • Hinson- 32% from 3 on 5 attempts per game
  • Johnston- 27% from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game
  • Grill- 34% from 3 on 6 attempts per game

At least Hunter and Foster should be capable shooters.

The unique skill set of Foster with that stretch 5 ability will allow them to invert their offense. Let Foster set screens on the perimeter and pop to the three point line dragging the other teams primary rim protector out of the lane. Hunter and Brockington can attack the rim at a pretty high level.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah that doesn't look pretty. Also, I wouldn't say Hunter is known as a shooter.
I’m not worried about Gabe, Kunc, Hinson, or Grill. I think each of those guys will be serviceable.

I’m not going to lose sleep over Walker’s freshman year numbers either. I’d also love to see Johnson’s shooting % when he was in the corner spotting up because I think it would’ve been nice. His biggest issue is he’d take terrible 3’s off the dribble or when we needed a desperation shot attempt to beat the shot clock because our offense was so bad.

Tristan I’m a little worried about but hopefully he can figure his shot out. He’ll be at his best attacking the rim with his size. Jackson I don’t care too much about because I truly don’t see him playing very much.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If we get Bockington that is another guard who struggles with his shooting. I'm not saying we shouldn't take him but it will be interesting to see how our offenses progresses taking into account these numbers from our guys in their most reason seasons:

• Kalscheur- 25% from 3 on 5.2 attempts per game
  • Jackson- 27% from 3 on 4.1 attempts per game
  • Walker- 29% from 3 on 1 attempt per game
  • Kunc- 34% from 3 on 2.7 attempts per game
  • Enaruna- 23% from 3 on 1 attempt per game
  • Hinson- 32% from 3 on 5 attempts per game
  • Johnston- 27% from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game
  • Grill- 34% from 3 on 6 attempts per game

At least Hunter and Foster should be capable shooters.

IMO Foster & Hunter are the biggest unknowns from 3. HS production doesn't always translate early on.

With moving back the 3 point line a couple years ago, IMO a player shooting over 35% is solid and 39%+ is elite. Especially for high volume shooters.

IMO we have a number of guys who can hit 35% or greater in the right offense (aka taking quality 3's vs. deep 3's or step-back/fadeaway 3's that seemed to characterize our shooting last season). I like Kalacheur, Grill, Jackson and Kunc to all be at least 35% shooters. Guys like Johnson, Hinson and Foster have potential as well.

If guys don't shoot as well from 3, I at least see TJ is building a team that can defend, rebound and shoot a solid % from two and get to free-throw line.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I’m not worried about Gabe, Kunc, Hinson, or Grill. I think each of those guys will be serviceable.

I’m not going to lose sleep over Walker’s freshman year numbers either. I’d also love to see Johnson’s shooting % when he was in the corner spotting up because I think it would’ve been nice. His biggest issue is he’d take terrible 3’s off the dribble or when we needed a desperation shot attempt to beat the shot clock because our offense was so bad.

Tristan I’m a little worried about but hopefully he can figure his shot out. He’ll be at his best attacking the rim with his size. Jackson I don’t care too much about because I truly don’t see him playing very much.

While I am a bit skeptical on the shooting too the staff seems pretty confident they have enough considering the transfers they have been looking to add with the last schoolly.

Let's not forget this is year one of TJ's tenure where he's setting the foundation for the next 2-4 years. The adds he made should improve the defense and rebounding of the team tremendously and thus ISU shouldn't need to score as much as Hoiball to get some wins.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I still think Kalscheur's numbers will improve quite a bit from last season. Maybe not up to 38 or 40%, but more in the 35% range. I think Grill and Foster will be decent as well. Kunc and Hinson seem capable as well.

The key to success there, IMO, is playing inside/out, and taking the wide open threes from kick outs rather than bombing away from outside, hoping to open up the middle. We definitely have guys who can get it into the paint.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
It's a cliche and maybe unwarranted optimism, but better conceived offense and players knowing their roles, rhythm, and 'spots' on the floor improves those numbers. Not talking about McGee, Thomas or Naz shooting, but even some improvement will lead to wins.
Statistics are results, not causes.

Last edited:

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I still think Kalscheur's numbers will improve quite a bit from last season. Maybe not up to 38 or 40%, but more in the 35% range. I think Grill and Foster will be decent as well. Kunc and Hinson seem capable as well.

The key to success there, IMO, is playing inside/out, and taking the wide open threes from kick outs rather than bombing away from outside, hoping to open up the middle. We definitely have guys who can get it into the paint.
Yeah, I think he is the key. If he gets back to being a good shooter, a lot of the shooting worries go away.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's a cliche and maybe unwarranted optimism, but better conceived offense and players knowing their roles, rhythm, and 'spots' on the floor improves those numbers. Not talking about McGee, Thomas or Nax shooting, but even some improvement will lead to wins.

We should see much more clean catch and shoots and more open and closer to the line catch and shoots as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
It's a cliche and maybe unwarranted optimism, but better conceived offense and players knowing their roles, rhythm, and 'spots' on the floor improves those numbers. Not talking about McGee, Thomas or Naz shooting, but even some improvement will lead to wins.
Very few players will hit a high percentage of threes taken off the dribble with a defender on them

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
IMO Foster & Hunter are the biggest unknowns from 3. HS production doesn't always translate early on.

With moving back the 3 point line a couple years ago, IMO a player shooting over 35% is solid and 39%+ is elite. Especially for high volume shooters.

IMO we have a number of guys who can hit 35% or greater in the right offense (aka taking quality 3's vs. deep 3's or step-back/fadeaway 3's that seemed to characterize our shooting last season). I like Kalacheur, Grill, Jackson and Kunc to all be at least 35% shooters. Guys like Johnson, Hinson and Foster have potential as well.

If guys don't shoot as well from 3, I at least see TJ is building a team that can defend, rebound and shoot a solid % from two and get to free-throw line.
I think we are underestimating effect of Hilton magic on shooting %. I mean we have had no magic for 2 years. Fred teams shot like crap in empty arenas too. A little magic goes a long way ;)

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I just assumed that judging by the highlights of all our transfers, we’d just be dunking on everybody. That’s a fairly high percentage shot.

Brockington would be a nice piece. We need some slashers, guys who can create off the dribble. He either penetrates and gets better at the dish to the "3", or he goes to the rack for a dunk!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Brockington would be a nice piece. We need some slashers, guys who can create off the dribble. He either penetrates and gets better at the dish to the "3", or he goes to the rack for a dunk!

I also see him as the Jake Anderson “glue guy +” type.

Reactions: t-noah

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
how do we feel ISU stands with Brockington? I don't see a bunch of chatter here, so I'm guessing the chances are slim? Typically chatter would ramp up when we hit the top few teams and a decision is imminent.

• Winner
Reactions: IndyClone15