OT - Cutting Cable

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I completely removed one of those same channels from my program guide...and it isn't the sports related one!
The last time I had gone in and re-sorted them (at least 2 yrs ago) I don't think there was a "delete" option. But THANK YOU! I have now deleted all related channels! And I was able to add some that I didn't even know were available!

Reactions: cyfanatic

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
The last time I had gone in and re-sorted them (at least 2 yrs ago) I don't think there was a "delete" option. But THANK YOU! I have now deleted all related channels! And I was able to add some that I didn't even know were available!
This is one of my, small, complaints. If they add channels, or if channels are taken away and then return, they won't automatically show up in your list. You have to go back in and add them and resort them.

This was a pretty big headache when we lost all the Disney channels for a couple days and I had to go back into my line up to add/move them around.

Reactions: CYTUTT

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
This is one of my, small, complaints. If they add channels, or if channels are taken away and then return, they won't automatically show up in your list. You have to go back in and add them and resort them.

This was a pretty big headache when we lost all the Disney channels for a couple days and I had to go back into my line up to add/move them around.

That is true if you manage/manipulate your program guide. If you just roll with the standard program lineup and don't customize it then the channels automatically appear. But yeah...it seems odd that they don't advertise additional channels than they have in the past. I keep checking to see if the Weather Channel has been added yet. I know they reached agreement to air it on YTTV but I have yet to find a date for when it will go live.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Oh, this gives me an idea. I'll remove certain 'news' channels from my FILs guide and maybe he'll eventually be un-brainwashed. Of course, he'll never figure out how to add it back in either.

• Haha
Reactions: DSMCy

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
That is true if you manage/manipulate your program guide. If you just roll with the standard program lineup and don't customize it then the channels automatically appear. But yeah...it seems odd that they don't advertise additional channels than they have in the past. I keep checking to see if the Weather Channel has been added yet. I know they reached agreement to air it on YTTV but I have yet to find a date for when it will go live.
Oh Man…The Weather Channel missing is a big one. They need to figure that out, but of course if they do, I assume it would come with another price bump.

There is a lot I really enjoy about TWC.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Pure entertainment purposes. I watch, in the background, for hours when there is a hurricane, winter storm, etc. I also sometimes use it for white noise.

It is coming...they already reached agreement. They just haven't announced a date that it will be added to the lineup.

Reactions: enisthemenace

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
It is coming...they already reached agreement. They just haven't announced a date that it will be added to the lineup.

Will it be added without impacting your YTTV bill? I know TWC launched it’s own streaming service for $5/month. I assume YTTV will need to incorporate that, right?

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Go online and you can rearrange your channels pretty easily by sliding them up/down the list. I moved Big Ten network and conservative "News" channels to the very bottom.

I don't know what you're meaning by the recording off by 3 minutes? Are you saying the playback if you rewind a live broadcast? If so, I don't have that problem. There might be a 15 second delay, but that's the max I've ever experienced.
I guess I like hitting 06 for channel six and 32 for channel thirty two is much easier. At the end of an episode the 1st 2-3 minutes of the next show is recorded. Likewise the end of the last show is recorded at the beginning of an episode. The entire episode is there. Maybe it allows for a network that starts shows later than 1/2 hour increments? Who knows. I like YTTV those were my only complaints.

Reactions: cyfanatic

CloneKing

Apr 5, 2020
Ankeny
Late to the show here but, with Ankeny getting Metronet and probably switching to YTTV what is the average monthly costs going to be approximately? Really tired of the $300 we are paying now for Mediacom for internet and cable. I assume 100mb are what folks are getting. Wife and I both work from home so speed is a need especially in her job. My office in our basement is by the modem so I currently get can connect to 5g at around 167mpbs download and 16 upload.

Sorry just not the most tech savy person here so any info is appreciated.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Late to the show here but, with Ankeny getting Metronet and probably switching to YTTV what is the average monthly costs going to be approximately? Really tired of the $300 we are paying now for Mediacom for internet and cable. I assume 100mb are what folks are getting. Wife and I both work from home so speed is a need especially in her job. My office in our basement is by the modem so I currently get can connect to 5g at around 167mpbs download and 16 upload.

$65 for YTTV...unless you add channels like HBO etc. I have had YTTV for a bit longer than 3 years and have really enjoyed it. My home gets 60mbps download and we never have issues with lagging at all. And we usually have 3 or more devices actively streaming something at the same time (between the family).

• Informative
Reactions: CloneKing

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

With two people working from home and streaming YTTV, you'll likely need to watch your usage. The 200Mb plan from Mediacom has a 1TB cap. I rarely work from home, but with wife and kid at home our usage is close to the cap most months. I believe the 400Mb tier bumps the cap to 3TB. Metronet has no caps

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
$65 for YTTV...unless you add channels like HBO etc. I have had YTTV for a bit longer than 3 years and have really enjoyed it. My home gets 60mbps download and we never have issues with lagging at all. And we usually have 3 or more devices actively streaming something at the same time (between the family).
Normal Metronet pricing (after promotional pricing ends) for 100mbps is $60. That includes the required $10 technology fee but does not include an extra $10 if you use their whole-home wifi routers.

So if it's just Metronet and YTTV with no other services, you're looking at $125 base price, $135 if you need to use Metronet's routers. Then add tax: YTTV is taxed, internet is not, but I don't know if that technology fee or router rental is taxed.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

YTTV is a flat $65, I don't have any of the upgrades, I get HBO directly through them.

The most important thing is you have good signal to all your TV's. We moved to a larger ranch house, so I had to upgrade my single access point to google mesh to get signal everywhere I needed.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

My monthly fee for YTTV is $69.05. I don't have any of the add-ons, like Showtime, HBO, etc. I also have Netflix, and then the Hulu/Disney/ESPN+ package.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm using this combo of Metronet/YTTV

Metronet 1GB=$70.60
YTTV=$68.89

I got rid of my 3 puck google wifi and now just use the Eero Pro system and get better coverage. No complaints besides the lousy 4k option that YTTV charges an extra $10.

Reactions: cycloner29

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
With two people working from home and streaming YTTV, you'll likely need to watch your usage. The 200Mb plan from Mediacom has a 1TB cap. I rarely work from home, but with wife and kid at home our usage is close to the cap most months. I believe the 400Mb tier bumps the cap to 3TB. Metronet has no caps
Aside from getting rid of data caps with Metronet, I'm also looking forward to much faster upload speeds. It's rare those are a big deal, but if you've ever had to upload something big and waited days for it to finish you know what a PITA it is.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I provided some documentation on how my metronet is wired on this thread.