Only One NonCon Game

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I think if somehow UNI, NDSU, SDSU, Montana, Montana State, Central Arkansas, James Madison and Weber State could make something work for the fall, they'd do it but that's a TON of logistics in 22 days.

Central Arkansas just added a game at Arkansas State today. But, UCA is in the Southland and that conference hasn't made any announcement yet regarding postponement/cancellation.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The Valley's official stance is no league play this fall, but institutions have discretion to compete this fall (i.e., play non-conference games).

Reactions: khardbored

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Sounds like playing UNLV is not an option. Mountain West is not starting play until Sept 26. UNLV/ISU is scheduled for Sept 19. I know playing UNI has never been popular on this board but I do think it might make sense this year for our non conference game.

I'm much more concerned about next year's game at UNLV than this year's game with them.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
So who is even playing still that would be an option?

From last night:

"USD is working with its non-conference opponents — Iowa State, Northern Arizona and Dixie State — to determine what their intentions are for the fall. When asked if the hope is to try and play those games this fall, athletic director David Herbster said they will continue to have discussions both with their team and as an administration to determine which direction they go."

• Informative
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
That's still happening, provided we aren't in Year 2 of COVID.
I think they will allow outdoor sports to have fans next year but highly doubt they will be at 100% capacity. Best scenario might be 50% capacity but not real confident that it will be that much.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
If you're an FCS AD, and could bank $500K or $1M, be done before October 1 (no more travel expenses for 6 months), and not have to worry about losses counting against playoff chances (because there are no playoffs), wouldn't that at least warrant some pondering?
Not even some pondering, it’d be like a paid scrimmage that may help save your athletic department.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ pay day.

If MAC or MVC teams would play a game or two this fall for a payday, they they gave the backlash of discounting player safety.

I don't think safety concerns would be less for playing 1 or 2 games. They would still need to go through an intense month+ for fall camp prior to playing a couple Sept. games. And incur all the costs of Covid mitigation.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think they will allow outdoor sports to have fans next year but highly doubt they will be at 100% capacity. Best scenario might be 50% capacity but not real confident that it will be that much.
From everything I've read it sounds pretty likely will have a vaccine by then, due to the rapid way they are going about simultaneously manufacturing and testing a bunch of different vaccine candidates. I've been one of the more pessimistic people about this season happening for months now but I think next year is much more likely.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
From everything I've read it sounds pretty likely will have a vaccine by then, due to the rapid way they are going about simultaneously manufacturing and testing a bunch of different vaccine candidates. I've been one of the more pessimistic people about this season happening for months now but I think next year is much more likely.
Yeah but vaccines are going to be only partially effective. It will reduce risk but certainly not eliminate it. There will be push back to have large events as long as there are any COVID related deaths.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah but vaccines are going to be only partially effective. It will reduce risk but certainly not eliminate it. There will be push back to have large events as long as there are any COVID related deaths.

Vaccines dont have to be 100% effective (none are) to reduce the spread dramatically.

And no one expects it to have to get down to zero. Hell, schools are trying to push ahead now, when thousands are dying every week, if the number is but a fraction of that next august and there's a vaccine there will be football.

Reactions: Sparkplug

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Vaccines dont have to be 100% effective (none are) to reduce the spread dramatically.

And no one expects it to have to get down to zero. Hell, schools are trying to push ahead now, when thousands are dying every week, if the number is but a fraction of that next august and there's a vaccine there will be football.
There will be football but will they jump in head first with full capacity stadiums. I am all for it I just don't think it will happen immediately.