On to the Purple Kittens Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Any news on Malik Verdon? I assume he was out with an injury vs KU given he wasn't seen on the field.

Really hope he can go vs KSU - he is a big body and a solid tackler in the 2nd level.

Purchase, Tampa, AJ, Freyler, Verdon as your back 5 is a great group of open field and run stopping tacklers which is needed vs this KSU rushing attack. Cooper and Howard really can also be thrown in there too but they are a big younger with less experience.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
just from watching games of both teams, I would say KState's offensive line with a speedier running quarterback is slightly more talent so-to-speak. (Don't have a clue what happened to them vs. Tulane)
Vaughn > Brock's replacement.....or is Brock going to be back??
We need to 'rock' the Jack for these guys!!!!!!
Deuce Vaughn can be lethal.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
I look for K-State to start chucking it if ISU puts 7 or 8 in the box. It's going to be very interesting watching how they tactically play off one another because ISU is not going to let the run game beat them.

Vaughn can be lethal.

• Agree
Reactions: surly

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If they pull their head out of the ass on offense and don’t repeat whatever the f*ck that was last Saturday, we’ll be right there for it.
I couldn't have said it better (like that) myself. :D

I will say ISU 34 - 31 Purple Kittens.

We will need +2 turnovers and must fugure out our offensive woes, make proper adjustments. Our defense will have to come in big once again.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
And it’s KState week so that twatwaffle Surly is around trying to pick fights.
dramaticirony-scaled.jpg

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Our 10.5 offensive production average versus Iowa & Kansas is a red flag. If Brock or Norton is available it will be helpful. If K-State prevails and particularly if their QB1 lights it up, it will be very hard for Surly to be magnanimous given the amount of ridicule directed his way due to his endorsement of the Nebraska transfer early on. He who laughs last laughs loudest. This is an early must win game.

• Love
Reactions: surly

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Talent isn't the problem (maybe on offensive line it is).

The problem is we are one of the worst teams schematically on offense in college football. Our offensive line splits are too narrow and, without the aide of extra blocks/chips, they are unable to run or pass block against teams with decent 4 man fronts. Compounding the issue is our offensive coordinator is clueless in devising plays with savvy route design. Teams KNOW we run routes/plays the line can't block for and tee off on Dekkers. The last two weeks Baylor and KU angled their ends directly at Dekkers/the pocket. When Dekkers needed to throw there was nowhere FO HIM TO THROW. You'd think we would have realized this after Baylor, change some plays and/or blocking schemes, and give the offensive a little bit more of a chance for success. But they didn't.

Dekkers hasn't been perfect. He needs to recognize when pressure is coming at times and be more decisive in gettting rid of the ball (throwing it away). But it's hard to fault a first year starter when he's routinely being pressured in 2 seconds or less. Even more so when you watch the replays/tape and see the routes our guys are running.

I'm not sure we would have beat Baylor, but I think the on field play would have been a lot closer if we had someone more competent than manning calling plays. Last week would have been a win for sure.

I appreciate loyalty in life but Campbell isn't making millions to be loyal to coaches who aren't performing. Manning should firmly be on he chopping block.

Not going to happen unless we make changes to the playing calling and blocking scheme. KSUs defensive ends will have a field day taking direct angles at Dekkers.

With that said, I do think the KSU game will tell us if we should expect much different through the back half of the schedule. Because we’ve seen a lot of the same struggles in both our wins and losses, it’s probably fair to say that a lot of the coachable and motivation factors should be corrected by now. If not, we probably know what to expect the remainder of the season. If we see progress, there is hope we could continue to be competitive here on out. Regardless, our Defense will keep us in many games.
Jeremy, your comments make a lot of sense. I know we all probably got a little ahead of ourselves this season, with this team. But for many of the reasons shared by ZRF and others, I have quite a bit less faith in the trajectory of this program than I used to. I suppose that is expected after the past 2 weeks, especially after this past week's loss at KU and how it occurred.

I don't think we should have the glaring difficulties in the OL and with the offensive scheme as we do, or seem to, at this stage in Campbell's tenure. And that includes accounting for our recruiting disadvantages. The OL should be better. It is not, certainly not recently. The ability to scheme and adapt as an offense, also should be better. Our ability to misdirect and be more unpredictable, per our personnel, should be better. JMO, but others feel the same.

You are right about one thing, Saturday's game should tell us quite a bit more about this season. It should also tell us more about some coaching. I personally will feel better about the OC and OL coaching if we see positive change.

I guess I am now of the opinion that the kind of change we need is a coaching change. At the very least, OL change. My opinion really doesn't matter though. I am certainly willing to let Campbell continue as he wants for the foreseeable future.

Campbell has surprised us before. I am hoping that he knows best. I do just wish, in a way, that he would come out with a statement something to the effect that he expects better results offensively, and that if they are not realized some changes will be made. I think that would go a long way in the eyes of the fan base, especially if the next few games don't turn out as we all might hope.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Gonna learn a lot about the coaches and players this Saturday.

Do they make the necessary adjustments and execute better?

Or do we see a repeat of KU.

We'll probably be able to guess the future of ISU football after Saturday.

Here's hoping CMC surprises us like at Oklahoma with Kempt or the 3 man front.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
So why does it look like the University released more seats in random spots around the stadium. Blue seats are available from the AD. Pink are resale tickets.

A couple days ago:
1665120147770.png

Today
1665120079991.png

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
H and J are visitor allotment; those may be unsold/returns.

Others could be from blocks that were being held for mini-pack sales.