On That Note: The Sound of Silence

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Welcome back to “On That Note,” CF’s music-fanatic series, hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and cyclones500.

This week’s topic is inspired by an idea sent to us by @Farnsworth: Songs with elements of silence.

We expanded the theme a little, and will accept the following:

1. (Farnsworth’s main premise): Official album tracks that are completely silent, and reason behind the performer’s concept.
2. Songs that include at least one noticeable “dead-air” or gap-of-silence segment — a pause with no music/vocals.
3. “False ending”: Songs that seem to conclude, then restart, or fade out and back in.

Please note the category with each clip.

Optional, but encouraged: For #2 & #3, include reference to the point in song when it occurs

Here’s one to start:
False ending (Fade out starts around 3:20, then fades back in)

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Welcome back to “On That Note,” CF’s music-fanatic series, hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and cyclones500.

This week’s topic is inspired by an idea sent to us by @Farnsworth: Songs with elements of silence.

We expanded the theme a little, and will accept the following:

1. (Farnsworth’s main premise): Official album tracks that are completely silent, and reason behind the performer’s concept.
2. Songs that include at least one noticeable “dead-air” or gap-of-silence segment — a pause with no music/vocals.
3. “False ending”: Songs that seem to conclude, then restart, or fade out and back in.

Please note the category with each clip.

Optional, but encouraged: For #2 & #3, include reference to the point in song when it occurs.

Here’s one to start:
False ending (Fade out/fade in)

You didn't follow your own suggestion of including the point in the song it happens.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
At about the 1:30 mark. Fades out. Then starts over.

I heard an interesting story about this record. I hope I remember it mostly correctly.

The OTHER side of this single was composed or co-composed by a local Memphis DJ. He planned to play the record on his show and hope it became a hit and he'd cash in as composer. However, he learned it was against some law or policy for a DJ to play a song he had composed. He got around it however, by playing the song on the B-Side - this one. Which became a hit.

Turns out the composer payout is equal for both sides of the 45 regardless of which becomes the hit. So he made a tidy sum even though his song was not played and forgotten.

Plus, the reason the song fades out and starts again. The song was too short, even for a throwaway B-side. So the engineer did the fade out bit and actually repeats the recording of the true beginning of the song after the false fade to make it longer, then fades it out again at the end.

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
About 1:44 it seems to stop, then start up again.

Somewhere in my deep dark past I was putting together a mix tape and this was going to be the last song on one side or the other. I was worried if it would fit - there wasn't much tape left. So I was Mr Ready-on-the-Stop-Button. When it reached the break I hit stop as I thought it was the end and so relieved it had fit!. Then a second later - started up again. I had to go back and redo that one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron