On That Note: Screen Gems

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands.
This is one odd but compelling video, but the song name is a direct reference to the literary and movie character Marvin the Paranoid Android from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Note, the video does have some NSFW animation.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclones500

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Just thinking about the moon/eyeball slice is unsettling. o_O

From Roger Ebert's review:

The image of the moon was followed by the image of a man with a razor (Bunuel) slicing a woman's eye (actually a calf's eye--although legend has transformed it into a pig). The hand crawling with ants was followed by a transvestite on a bicycle, a hairy armpit, a severed hand on the sidewalk, a stick poking the hand, a silent-movie style sexual assault, a woman protecting herself with a tennis racket, the would-be rapist pulling the piano with its bizarre load, two apparently living statues in sand from the torso up, and so on. To describe the movie is simply to list its shots, since there is no story line to link them.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread. Maybe I should start my own series of cinematic threads, like you guys have done with music.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Now they make new movies in old black and white
With happy endings, where nobody fights
So if you find yourself in that nostalgic rage
Honey, jump right up and show your age

I wish I had a pencil thin mustache
The "Boston Blackie" kind
A two toned Ricky Ricardo jacket
And an autographed picture of Andy Devine

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
star-wars-rocks-701x438.jpg

A little Jedi Follow Up if you will. Considering it's one of the most successful movie franchises of all time, it's not surprising that there many songs that reference Star Wars. Here's just a few that I could think of off the top of my head. Feel free to add more.

"Jaws was never my thing and I don't like Star Wars" Queen - Bicycle Race
I won't hold it against the greatest rock frontman of all time. Star Wars isn't for everyone.

Space may be the final frontier
But it’s made in a Hollywood basement
Cobain can you hear the spheres
Singing songs off station to station
And Alderaan’s not far away
It’s Californication
RHCP - Californication

"I rip **** and backflip like a Jedi"
House of Pain - Top O the Mornin' To Ya

NSFW LYRICS

And then this one is self explanatory. But pretty random. It was on the Clerks soundtrack

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A couple to get us goin’ …

“Sensory Deprivation,” Sloan
Movie reference: “Altered States”
A few lyrics to make the reference more clear: “Don’t take it from me/But “Altered States” scared me/Should have realized it/It’s when he tore apart the lab with the monkey on his back …
---> I’ve posted this song in other music threads, because it rocks.

In before the Metalheads :) Sorry to steal anyone’s thunder (or Ride the Lightning). :)
“One,” Metallica
Movie reference: “Johnny Got His Gun” (based on novel by Dalton Trumbo, who also directed the film).

I went through a Metallica phase. It was thankfully short, but I really liked One a lot. The video features clips from the movie Johnny Got His Gun. At the time I had to do some research to find that out, since I was curious and there was no easy ass internet to search on.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Now they make new movies in old black and white
With happy endings, where nobody fights
So if you find yourself in that nostalgic rage
Honey, jump right up and show your age

I wish I had a pencil thin mustache
The "Boston Blackie" kind
A two toned Ricky Ricardo jacket
And an autographed picture of Andy Devine

I'll never forget Andy Devine as Sheriff Link Appleyard in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance:
upload_2018-5-16_10-15-8.jpeg
"Callie, is my steak ready yet?"

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
References both Son of Frankenstein and Dracula. Not to mention Captain Kirk of Star Trek. Yes, it was a TV show first, but Wild Wild West was posted and it was the same deal, so not asking for permission. And it's fun in that wacky tacky campy way only the B52's can do.

Edit: Actually references "Captain of the Enterprise" Kirk is not called out by name.

Last edited:

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
This is a bit tangential but there's talk that if you play Pink Floyd's "The Wall" with the video to "The Wizard of Oz", it syncs together in a way that couldn't be random with songs and scenes changing simultaneously on the respective mediums. I know that Pink Floyd claims The Wall has something to do with The Sound of Music but it's evidently eerie how well The Wall and Wizard of Oz sync together.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
“Red Angel Dragnet,” The Clash
Movie reference: “Taxi Driver.”
Although the focus appears to be Guardian Angels in NYC, it references Travis Bickle and some of his lines from the movie. Stray music analysis: This sounds more like it's from "Sandanista!" than "Combat Rock."