Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
David Bowie - Awesome
Tina Turner - Awesome
Sax player thrusting his crotch at 2:29 - Awesome.....? o_O

I love that sax crotch man gets highlighted, then 10 seconds later they show his crotch pumping again just to confirm it was very intentionally in the video.

What happened just after the second cut was even better - Tina was like "what do I do now?" but never missed a beat!

• Funny
Reactions: HFCS

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It was was a top 10 hit in 1976, which you heard on AM radio all the time that summer. That always seemed a bit odd then, as The Beatles broke up in 1970.

Perhaps even more odd, the B-side is "Helter Skelter."

A Beatles compilation "Rock and Roll Music" was released that year and they released a couple more "singles" from that LP. I think by that time there was a sense the band was never going to re-form, and record company wanted to cash in on nostalgia

My knowledge of the Beatles retrospectives in the '70s is largely non-existent, so some of that is speculation or maybe I read about it at some point and that's how much I recall.

• Informative
Reactions: Clone83

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Pretty much this whole group played with sax legend Charlie Parker at Carnegie Hall, not long before this video. As a kid, Parker used to sneak into the clubs in Kansas City to see Count Basie, with Lester Young on the sax. Besides Lester Young on tenor sax, the other tenor sax player below is Flip Phillips, with Buddy Rich on drums, and Ella Fitzgerald on vocals. 1950

Lester Leaps In, which Lester Young used to perform with Count Basie, performed at Carnegie Hall. Again, with pretty much everyone above, plus Charlie Parker on alto sax. Ella Fitzgerald also performed that night, but not on this song. 1949

Help Support Us

Become a patron