Olympic Wrestling

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Young guns meet their match this round. Lilledahl loses to Richards and Forrest loses to Gilman. Both really competitive matches

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
No because you used the word favored. I said he’s competing against the best in the world there are only negative consequences that can happen at the level he’s competing with the slimmest of margins. Your phase was that he’s not the favorite so he’s not even going to try. Your solution to the problem is I’m not trying because I’m not favored
Yes. As you said he can’t beat the .0001%. If Dake, Burroughs, Nolf were not at the weight, he’d be wrestling. Thats the whole point of favored. He’s the underdog and knows he’d have a huge uphill battle to make the team even at 100%. But if he didn’t have such an uphill battle he’d be out there.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Yes. As you said he can’t beat the .0001%. If Dake, Burroughs, Nolf were not at the weight, he’d be wrestling. Thats the whole point of favored. He’s the underdog and knows he’d have a huge uphill battle to make the team even at 100%. But if he didn’t have such an uphill battle he’d be out there.
He’s walking around in a boot you have zero idea what he’s capable of right now you are blowing smoke making a stupid argument

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
He’s walking around in a boot you have zero idea what he’s capable of right now you are blowing smoke making a stupid argument
neither do you. If he’s not getting surgery, then I stand by my point. You can get a boot anywhere and use it for minor injuries.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Can Forrest and Basset take college visits this year? Man I really really want one of those two.
I wouldn’t waste my time. They’re not coming here as unfortunate as that is. ISU is just not going to win the recruiting battles for guys like this. We have absolutely no tie ins with them, and all the top teams want them.

We should be all in on Dorian Olivarez.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Yes, 100%
Then you aren’t making sense and you are just calling David a ***** in other words. He was an underdog to 3 opponents at NCAAs. It was an uphill battle to win it all in a big grueling tournament. So it has nothing to do with him being an underdog this weekend you just think he’s scared by what you’re saying. It’s no different than this tournament. Freestyle things can happen quickly and he could’ve spent less time on the mat than at ncaas. So to say he’d wrestle there and not here you are saying he’s ducking and I’m saying he’s too injured to wrestle.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Then you aren’t making sense and you are just calling David a ***** in other words. He was an underdog to 3 opponents at NCAAs. It was an uphill battle to win it all in a big grueling tournament. So it has nothing to do with him being an underdog this weekend you just think he’s scared by what you’re saying. It’s no different than this tournament. Freestyle things can happen quickly and he could’ve spent less time on the mat than at ncaas. So to say he’d wrestle there and not here you are saying he’s ducking and I’m saying he’s too injured to wrestle.
David was a toss up 50/50 at NCAAs. His chances at OTT would be like Hamiti’s chances of winning NCAA this year. Totally different.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Hopefully this explains it to everyone. Nothing against David, but there are risk/reward calculations that go into deciding whether not to compete with an injury. My whole point is that the likelihood of the reward in this case is infinitesimally small. That makes the decision a fairly simple one.
  • There are injuries that you can compete with and injuries you can’t.
    • We don’t know which David has.
  • If you have an injury that you can compete with, you have to make a decision whether or not you want to, and in that decision are a lot of factors, including:
    • What is the likelihood of further injury
    • What is there to gain from competing (reward)
      • In this instance, there is a ton to gain (a spot on the Olympic team)
    • Likelihood that you could achieve the reward
      • In this instance that likelihood is very, very small
If you don’t think there is a risk/reward calculation going on here, I don’t know what to tell you.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

cywr89

May 14, 2009
David DNP at U23s and was teched easily by Nolf last year. I love DC as much of the next guy, but he didn’t have a shot in hell at making this team.

Junior world champs are a dime a dozen. You’re talking about multiple time Senior world champs with Dake and Burroughs. Different levels
How bad is the injury?
Bad enough that he couldn’t wrestle this weekend. I can guarantee the decision to not compete had nothing to do with anyone else in the bracket. Let’s get back discussing the trials.

• Winner
Reactions: buf87 and stuclone

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Bad enough that he couldn’t wrestle this weekend. I can guarantee the decision to not compete had nothing to do with anyone else in the bracket. Let’s get back discussing the trials.
I did not mean to derail the thread. Unless anyone has specific information about David’s injury, it is irrational to think that the quality of competition isn’t a factor in the decision. Has nothing to do with being scared, or a wuss, just solid decision making.

Reactions: 4theheckofit