Olde Main closing

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Alluvial/anyone could transfrom Olde Main into a wedding reception/event venue and it would do really well IMO.
Alluvial already has a wedding venue though with their current operation in conjunction with Prairie Moon. They also just commissioned their new brewing facility (building behind their existing taproom) so it's not like they need the space. Personally I think part of their brand is being out in the boonies. This isn't to say I wouldn't be excited for Alluvial moving into the space from a personal convenience factor, just see a lot of pitfalls getting spread to thin with their existing space and clientele.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
The downfall of Olde Main has been pretty sad to see actually. It was the go to place when we went out to eat/drink with big groups. I hope that Corner Pocket and DG's somehow stay in existence.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Wow. So, what do they do now? Do DG's and Corner Pocket partner in some way with other places nearby for customers to purchase alcohol and bring it in? If not, how do they stay open?

One of the charges was failure to pay Ames Municipal services, so I don't know how they can stay open if the city would turn the utilities off.

junckerl

Feb 18, 2009
Saint Anthony
Wow. So, what do they do now? Do DG's and Corner Pocket partner in some way with other places nearby for customers to purchase alcohol and bring it in? If not, how do they stay open?

"During the suspension, alcohol cannot be sold, served, consumed or given away at these establishments."

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Clearly, the next step is:

816fwSv7eOL._RI_.jpg

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
The real shame about Old Main is that it is the best venue in Downtown Ames, so much wasted potential.

Yes, it is such a beautiful building, the second level in the bar and restaurant, the 'bridge truss' catwalk, the maintained brick and nice trim, nook and cranny booths in the back. If someone could make the beer consistent, bring back the generous nachos and just let it run well, it can/could/should/will be a great asset.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and BigCyFan

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
My wife and I stopped at Olde Main before a Saturady Cyclone bball game. I actually made a reservation through Open Table and was excited that we'd be guaranteed a table and would actually have time to enjoy a couple of beers.

Turns out we would have been just fine without a reservation (11:30 for a 1 pm tip). I was a bit shocked that we were basically the first people there, and even more surprised that they only had a couple of their beers on tap. I had no idea it had went that downhill. We usually prefer to go to Dublin Bay or Okoboji, but I thought I would give OM a shot again since I could reserve a table online. Yikes.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
When you consistently have servers who act like you are inconveniencing them to order food or pay your tab because their friends are there the only surprising thing about this news is that it didn't happen years ago.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think I "liked" Olde Main on Facebook a long while back, and any time they posted an update it was NEVER about beer. Just says so much about their focus.

A lot of posts would be some "get to know the staff" crap, and I remember a bunch of them saying their favorite Olde Main beer was the root beer or something to the effect of "I don't like beer".