Oklahoma vs Florida twitter

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
College sports need another one or two legitimate networks to provide a counterbalance to the ESPN narrative. I always hated ESPN getting control of most of the bowl games

In addition to having broadcast rights for nearly every bowl game, ESPN also owns and operates 16 bowl games. 9 of them are G5 vs G5, 2 are P5/P5, and the other 5 are a mix.
Las Vegas - Pac-12, B1G (odd years), SEC (even years)
Texas - Big 12, SEC
Fenway - ACC, American
Birmingham - SEC, American, CUSA
Gasparilla - SEC, American, CUSA
First Responder - Big 12 (odd years), American, CUSA, Sun Belt
Armed Forces - Big 12 (even years), American (even years), CUSA, MW
Bahamas - CUSA, MAC
Hawaii - American, MW, CUSA
Frisco - CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt
Myrtle Beach - American, CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt
Idaho Potato - MW, MAC
Boca Raton - American, CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt
New Mexico - MW, American, CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt
Camellia - CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt
Cure - American, CUSA, Sun Belt
Montgomery (2020 only; replacement for Fenway)

So, on one hand, ESPN is almost solely responsible for the "too many bowl games" argument, while at the same time providing the majority of the G5's bowl opportunities.

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
OU put up 55 and Rattler and many of the starters only played 2.5 quarters.

I believe the defense had one opt out. Name me a bowl team that doesn’t have a couple starters out due to injury or opt out.

UF is an absolutely trash defense, and OU could about name their score.
You mentioned this elsewhere, but Rattler played halfway into the fourth quarter. Check the ESPN play-by-play. Your point stands, though.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You mentioned this elsewhere, but Rattler played halfway into the fourth quarter. Check the ESPN play-by-play. Your point stands, though.
You are right, I thought I saw him out in the 3rd.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Who in radio makes millions a year? Howard Stern and Rush probably.

Lebetard was the highest paid sports radio personality and he made......3 mill. The drop off is SIGNIFICANT after that too. Even the major media market guys only make a couple hundred k.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If we had an 8 team playoff and winner was guaranteed a spot more would have watched too. Instead you get espn telling you the whole time this game is ok but really matters is the Notre Dame v Clemson

A game so important that one team was curb stomped and still made it into the TV show known as the College Football Playoff

Expansion to 8 is great. I'd even take an expansion to 6 with the conference championship games being a de-facto play in round...

ESPN sucks. Honestly.

Reactions: ChamplinCyclone22

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
In addition to having broadcast rights for nearly every bowl game, ESPN also owns and operates 16 bowl games. 9 of them are G5 vs G5, 2 are P5/P5, and the other 5 are a mix.
Las Vegas - Pac-12, B1G (odd years), SEC (even years)
Texas - Big 12, SEC
Fenway - ACC, American
Birmingham - SEC, American, CUSA
Gasparilla - SEC, American, CUSA
First Responder - Big 12 (odd years), American, CUSA, Sun Belt
Armed Forces - Big 12 (even years), American (even years), CUSA, MW
Bahamas - CUSA, MAC
Hawaii - American, MW, CUSA
Frisco - CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt
Myrtle Beach - American, CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt
Idaho Potato - MW, MAC
Boca Raton - American, CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt
New Mexico - MW, American, CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt
Camellia - CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt
Cure - American, CUSA, Sun Belt
Montgomery (2020 only; replacement for Fenway)

So, on one hand, ESPN is almost solely responsible for the "too many bowl games" argument, while at the same time providing the majority of the G5's bowl opportunities.
Ok so ESPN's dominance is far worse than I thought it was.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Lebetard was the highest paid sports radio personality and he made......3 mill. The drop off is SIGNIFICANT after that too. Even the major media market guys only make a couple hundred k.

Huh interesting and good for him. Perault doesnt sniff that though..

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Get off my lawn!
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
I believe UF had 9 starters out; 4 from the defense side...assuming SportsCenter was correct this morning

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

My .44 make sure your kids wont grow old!

Turns out, we are both old

Reactions: Gossamer

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
@isufbcurt How is that dumb? The 4 team playoff has rendered every other bowl irrelevant. It has basically made the regular season irrelevant for 95% of teams playing.

Does anyone remember that K-State played in an Alamo Bowl? Does anyone care? Bowls are great for the teams that get to play in them, but they are an afterthought for most fans who watch because they are home for the holidays.

People are taking off work to watch the NCAA tournament. Nobody took the day off to watch the Duke's Mayonnaise Bowl. (Which was an awesome game to watch, btw)
But this isn't new to the CFP. The BCS still had one game that actually mattered and that was whichever one was designated as the National Championship that year. I look at it the other way, the bowl system has hoodwinked everyone for a long time in making people think any of them aside from 1 or 2 really mattered. Before the BCS, yes the top 2-3 mattered a little more because it was just a vote for who was National Champion after that.

I truly have never gotten the whole love of the bowl system and worrying about it being hurt by a playoff and eventually a bigger playoff. I still watch a ton of them no matter what. I look for good games no matter the bowl. But 99% of bowls have always been glorified exhibitions and I am totally fine with that because in the end the teams playing in it and their fans bases will always care, and that really isn't anything new. Hardcore football fans will still turn on big bowl games no matter what. Youth today and future generations at this current juncture care more about social media platforms and all no matter what college football does.

I will be watching the Fiesta Bowl and loving every second of it because it's still the exact same game it's been for decades, and that is a big exhibition between two really good teams. Aside from when it was designated a CFP game or BCS National Championship Game, that's what it and the Rose, Orange, Cotton, Sugar, etc. have always been. The Rose is sacred only because it was just made sacred, but unless it was designated as the National Championship Game, it's truthfully only been this over the top exhibition that has tricked people into thinking it's anything more than that. And again, I am cool with it being a great exhibition game.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

That's good, not YIPPEE KI-YAY ************ good, but it's good.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Why has it not been highlighted more Texas had five defensive starters out, their stud WR, LT and also lost one of the more storied QBs in their history to injury in the first half. I didn't see them use that as an excuse to bend over and take it all night long. Okie State was also down a few big time players as well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron