***Official Y Cap City Thread***

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Here currently... Leech is by far our most talented freshman. I have never seen a quicker guard in an ISU uniform. Dude is on fire from 3.

That's also great to hear. Keep the news coming.

Leech could be the big X factor for this team IMO. If he's 100% healthy, he's one of the best recruits in the country.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Here currently... Leech is by far our most talented freshman. I have never seen a quicker guard in an ISU uniform. Dude is on fire from 3.

This is exactly the type of post I was hoping to see, especially if he is only 80% recovered from injury as been rumored. Thanks for going and sharing.

Anyone there taking and planning posting some video of the games as in past years?
Being out of state always appreciate catching some highlights of the new players.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I saw most of all 3 games.

-we should all pray to whatever deity we think is best that Bolton is eligible. He's just really smooth. He's obviously not Monte, but he is smooth like Monte.
-Leech was really impressive. You can see why he was a 5 star before the injury. His legs are stick then.
-I was impressed by Jackson, but I stand by the thought that he is small
-Jacobson, Solo, and Condit are going make things interesting. It was fun to see Solo out there again.

Surprisingly big crowd tonight.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

-we should all pray to whatever deity we think is best that Bolton is eligible. He's just really smooth. He's obviously not Monte, but he is smooth like Monte.
-Leech was really impressive. You can see why he was a 5 star before the injury. His legs are stick then.
-Jacobson, Solo, and Condit are going make things interesting. It was fun to see Solo out there again.

If you think Tre is tiny, you would have been shocked if we had landed Wheeler.

I love the updates though.... thanks!!!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There are dudes who have been great CCL players who never amounted to much at Hilton (and while not trying to pick on him nor giving up on him becoming a significant contributor this season, Terrence Lewis would be a primary example of this). Then again, I cannot remember anybody who turned out to be a decent player at Iowa State who was not at least a decent player at the CCL. Jackson and Leech off to hot starts is encouraging towards the same; they have not proven anything, but at least they cross that bar.

That's also great to hear. Keep the news coming.

Leech could be the big X factor for this team IMO. If he's 100% healthy, he's one of the best recruits in the country.

This is exactly the type of post I was hoping to see, especially if he is only 80% recovered from injury as been rumored. Thanks for going and sharing.

Anyone there taking and planning posting some video of the games as in past years?
Being out of state always appreciate catching some highlights of the new players.

CW said Leech was "closer to 80% than to 100% right now" on a recent podcast. I am going to keep my expectations in check for him. If we get something out of him this year, great, but I kind of think he is a long-term play to next year once he fully recovers and can come online with some of the big fish we have going for that recruiting class.

Thanks for the notes. Does Solomon look 100% again -- maybe still getting his sea legs under him, but nothing lingering from the injuries, at least?

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I'm not gonna say anything about defense because defense isn't the focus in this league.

Tre Jackson-- kid is going to be a gamer. Doesn't appear to be overly quick but can shoot the hell out of the ball. He hit one from about half court. He is one that I expect to play as a freshman.

George Conditt-- said he is officially 7'0. Couldn't tell too much out of him but he says he has put some weight on too.

Zion Griffin-- started a little slow but then turned it on. Shot looked better and had a little more of an arc on it today. He has gotten noticeably bigger and taller. Probably closer to 6'8 now.

Michael Jacobson-- looked the same as last year but his shot didn't appear to have the hitch in it that it had last year.

Solomon Young-- wasn't hitting hit long shots today but you can tell we missed his size last year. Had some nice hook shots over Conditt and it was frustrating Conditt some.

Caleb Grill-- needs a lot of work as I suspected. Only way I see him playing is if he is really scrappy defensively. Looks more like a track sprinter than a basketball player. I think he needs to work on his ball handling before he is a big time factor for us.

Javan Johnson-- I think he will be better than we think. A year off will do him wonders. Has a push shot, but is a very smooth athlete. I see a poor man's Clyburn in his game.

Terrance Lewis-- good game out of him but doesn't look significantly different from years past in the ccl.

Rasir Bolton-- He can jump out of the gym. I will say this, I would hate to play this kid because he is a talker. He has a push shot similar to Johnson. If his 3 point shot is consistent, he will be really good.

Prentiss Nixon-- Quick shot and strong build. He missed a lot of shots but also showed up with a wrist brace. Loved his passing, I think he starts at pg for us.

Marcedus Leech-- This kid is skinnnnny, butI will be shocked if anyone can guard this kid one on one. He is extremely quick and a very quick pull up. He has a very flat shot but it goes in a lot, at least it did tonight. You can see why he was a 5 star.

Others:

N'Faley Dante-- This dude is massive and athletic. I'm sure he will end up somewhere else but it'd be nice to get him. It looked like he had some 7'0 siblings sitting in the crowd.

Issa Samake-- kid is going to Drake and I am shocked. He does not look like a freshman and is insanely athletic. Drake got a steal!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If you think Tre is tiny, you would have been shocked if we had landed Wheeler.

I love the updates though.... thanks!!!

have you seen him in person? I guess I'd be surprised if he was 6'2", but what do I know?!? I seem to the the only one that thought he was small. Either way, I'm super impressed at the percentage he hit tonight. Watching him, I didn't realize he was hitting everything he threw up.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm not gonna say anything about defense because defense isn't the focus in this league.

Tre Jackson-- kid is going to be a gamer. Doesn't appear to be overly quick but can shoot the hell out of the ball. He hit one from about half court. He is one that I expect to play as a freshman.

George Conditt-- said he is officially 7'0. Couldn't tell too much out of him but he says he has put some weight on too.

Zion Griffin-- started a little slow but then turned it on. Shot looked better and had a little more of an arc on it today. He has gotten noticeably bigger and taller. Probably closer to 6'8 now.

Michael Jacobson-- looked the same as last year but his shot didn't appear to have the hitch in it that it had last year.

Solomon Young-- wasn't hitting hit long shots today but you can tell we missed his size last year. Had some nice hook shots over Conditt and it was frustrating Conditt some.

Caleb Grill-- needs a lot of work as I suspected. Only way I see him playing is if he is really scrappy defensively. Looks more like a track sprinter than a basketball player. I think he needs to work on his ball handling before he is a big time factor for us.

Javan Johnson-- I think he will be better than we think. A year off will do him wonders. Has a push shot, but is a very smooth athlete. I see a poor man's Clyburn in his game.

Terrance Lewis-- good game out of him but doesn't look significantly different from years past in the ccl.

Rasir Bolton-- He can jump out of the gym. I will say this, I would hate to play this kid because he is a talker. He has a push shot similar to Johnson. If his 3 point shot is consistent, he will be really good.

Prentiss Nixon-- Quick shot and strong build. He missed a lot of shots but also showed up with a wrist brace. Loved his passing, I think he starts at pg for us.

Marcedus Leech-- This kid is skinnnnny, butI will be shocked if anyone can guard this kid one on one. He is extremely quick and a very quick pull up. He has a very flat shot but it goes in a lot, at least it did tonight. You can see why he was a 5 star.

Others:

N'Faley Dante-- This dude is massive and athletic. I'm sure he will end up somewhere else but it'd be nice to get him. It looked like he had some 7'0 siblings sitting in the crowd.

Issa Samake-- kid is going to Drake and I am shocked. He does not look like a freshman and is insanely athletic. Drake got a steal!

I'll second you on Johnson. I was impressed. If he works hard this year, he can do something.

I was less down on Grill than you.

I was encouraged by Zion.

Lewis needs to work on his 3 point shot.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There are dudes who have been great CCL players who never amounted to much at Hilton (and while not trying to pick on him nor giving up on him becoming a significant contributor this season, Terrence Lewis would be a primary example of this). Then again, I cannot remember anybody who turned out to be a decent player at Iowa State who was not at least a decent player at the CCL. Jackson and Leech off to hot starts is encouraging towards the same; they have not proven anything, but at least they cross that bar.

CW said Leech was "closer to 80% than to 100% right now" on a recent podcast. I am going to keep my expectations in check for him. If we get something out of him this year, great, but I kind of think he is a long-term play to next year once he fully recovers and can come online with some of the big fish we have going for that recruiting class.

Thanks for the notes. Does Solomon look 100% again -- maybe still getting his sea legs under him, but nothing lingering from the injuries, at least?

It's hard to tell. His game is never going to translate to the CCL. He looked like he was moving

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I'll second you on Johnson. I was impressed. If he works hard this year, he can do something.

I was less down on Grill than you.

I was encouraged by Zion.

Lewis needs to work on his 3 point shot.
I haven't been sold on Grill from the beginning. I could be bias.

I agree about Zion. I think seeing his improvement was the most encouraging thing I saw.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Others:

If Griffin is really 6'8", that would be huge. I thought he looked about 6'4" or 6'5" last year.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011

Others:

How did Anderson look?

• Friendly
Reactions: STLISU