***Official Y Cap City Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'll second you on Johnson. I was impressed. If he works hard this year, he can do something.

I was less down on Grill than you.

I was encouraged by Zion.

Lewis needs to work on his 3 point shot.

I don't like to hear that. I was hoping he was finally going to click this year. But it's just one meaningless CCL game. If he can be a great 3 pt shooter off the bench, that would be big.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
6ft to 6'-1" players tend to look small on the basketball court with other D1 players. Have you ever watched college basketball before?

No! Never! You mean guards are smaller than forwards??

Again, I thought he looked smaller than 6'2". I think I'm the only one that thought that, so no big deal I am probably wrong. I have watched enough college basketball to know that guys under 6 foot sometimes struggle.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't like to hear that. I was hoping he was finally going to click this year. But it's just one meaningless CCL game. If he can be a great 3 pt shooter off the bench, that would be big.

Maybe he shot it better than I thought tonight. But I just think that is how he can get playing time this year. Defense and being able to hit a 3. He's probably the one player that I was disappointed in tonight. He scored plenty and is athletic, but for whatever reason I wasn't super impressed.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
have you seen him in person? I guess I'd be surprised if he was 6'2", but what do I know?!? I seem to the the only one that thought he was small. Either way, I'm super impressed at the percentage he hit tonight. Watching him, I didn't realize he was hitting everything he threw up.
I agree the 6'-2" is probably inflated. He's more like 6ft or 6'-" with shoes, which should be fine.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
His 3pt shooting was fine tonight. I would guess around 50% without seeing the stats. A higher percentage than about anyone else had. I honestly thought he looked the best out of all our players, at least for tonight. He shot well, drove to the basket, scored in transition, threw down several dunks and had some nice passes. I'm not saying it'll translate this season, but I have no idea how anyone could have watched him tonight and come away "disappointing".

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
No! Never! You mean guards are smaller than forwards??

Again, I thought he looked smaller than 6'2". I think I'm the only one that thought that, so no big deal I am probably wrong. I have watched enough college basketball to know that guys under 6 foot sometimes struggle.
I agree he is under 6'-2". He's not under 6ft though.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
His 3pt shooting was fine tonight. I would guess around 50% without seeing the stats. A higher percentage than about anyone else had. I honestly thought he looked the best out of all our players, at least for tonight. He shot well, drove to the basket, scored in transition, threw down several dunks and had some nice passes. I'm not saying it'll translate this season, but I have no idea how anyone could have watched him tonight and come away "disappointing".
Agree... He looked like Terrance Lewis. I wasn't blown away. His big thing will be if he is able to make the right play. He has all the talent in the world, it's just getting right between the ears.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Agree... He looked like Terrance Lewis. I wasn't blown away. His big thing will be if he is able to make the right play. He has all the talent in the world, it's just getting right between the ears.
I thought he played well when he got a chance early last year. He was fine offensively at least. The only thing holding him back has been his defense, in my opinion.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I thought he played well when he got a chance early last year. He was fine offensively at least. The only thing holding him back has been his defense, in my opinion.

He's probably the one I'm pulling for the most this year, mostly because he's been through a lot and could have easily transferred out, but he still wants to be a Cyclone.

The other one I'm really pulling hard for is Solomon. Really great person and deserves an injury free season to show what he can do.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

He was 3 out of 12 from 3.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Tinsley was more crafty than quick. Except for his hands which were very quick

He was fairly quick, but he was a master at using his body to work around guys. If he got the edge on someone he would use his strength to screen and hold guys from getting back in position.

Reactions: Cycsk