***Official Y Cap City Thread***

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by J-Diggy, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Statefan10

Statefan10 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,444 / 67 / -0
    I think if Bolton is eligible this team is a 5-7 seed in the tournament. It could be better seeding if we have a couple freshman that make an immediate impact too. I do think if Bolton is not eligible we still have a shot, but if and only if a couple of the freshman make an immediate impact. Tre Jackson was a guy that stuck out to me this summer. He looks like he could be a guy that can play and compete in the Big 12 right away.

Also, does anyone have information on Leech? I noticed I hadn't seen his highlights for a while and was wondering if there was any reason for that..

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thompsonclone

Thompsonclone Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Male
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +2,301 / 102 / -2
    That was the first time he had been there I’m pretty sure.

3. Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
    Male
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +2,301 / 102 / -2
    That would be pretty neat. I’m not very good with technology though so I wouldn’t know how to do it haha.

4. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Ratings:
    +12,014 / 907 / -8
    I won’t know what to do when the dark haired ref stops doing it or Malachi Canada isn’t in the CCL. It seems like they’ve been around forever ;)

5. tyler24

tyler24 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Ratings:
    +1,582 / 73 / -5
    Heres my overall assessment after seeing 3 or so nights of games.

Tre Jackson will play and play a lot. We need a shooter like him. I think he is the 6th man this year if Bolton plays. Had a huge blister on his left hand last night and still played great! Dude has great vision and cannot wait to see him after playing with the same guys for awhile.

Bolton needs to play the 2. He or Jacobson will be our leading scorer this year. He can score but I think he will make a lot of bone head plays. Appears to be a very emotional player.

Jacobson will have a much better 3 point percentage this year. His 3 point shot no longer has that hitch in it like it did last year. It is a smooth stroke now. His free throw still has the hitch.

Solomon will be Solomon. He will be our best overall post defender.

Conditt will take a huge step forward. Look for him to get some national recognition like Haliburton did last year.

Leech is my wildcard. I think he is going to be a phenomenal player at some point. Hopefully this year.

Luke Anderson will not play much this year but he has a lot of ability. In the one game I saw of him, his game reminds me a lot of niang.

Caleb Grill will play a little if he proves to be an great defender. Otherwise, he won't play much at all.

Javan Johnson will be a great role player down the road. He reminds me of Clyburn without the it factor.

Terrence Lewis is another wildcard. Looked lazy last night and I think other players got into his head some. He has all the tools to be great, he just needs to use his head.

Nixon will play and do the things you need a senior guard to do in order to win. I think the ccl doesn't show his true abilities. I think he will get us a road win or two we weren't expecting.

Zion Griffin will make an impact this year. I think his shot has improved and he appears to just be too talented to keep off the floor. He will play the four in small ball and really spread the court.

Haliburton will be first time all big 12 at pg. Calling my shot here.

I will add, I will be disappointed if Prohm has a rotation of 7 players this year. It needs to be 8. I think this team has the potential to be his best team yet.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
    Male
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +2,301 / 102 / -2
    Haha they are definitely a staple of the CCL. Was pretty funny last week when Malachi Canada got ejected in the first half.

7. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Ratings:
    +12,014 / 907 / -8
    I get a kick out of him but he’s such a pest. I would expect that he annoys the **** out of everyone he plays against.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Halincandenza

Halincandenza Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2,206 / 237 / -15
    If Jacobson is ISU's leading scorer, I predict a bad season.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. Statefan10

May 20, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,444 / 67 / -0
    If Bolton is eligible, I predict he'll average around 15, Halliburton probably putting up similar numbers, Jacobson getting 12, and Nixon around 10. If Lewis figures things out I see him also averaging around that 9-10 mark. I think Solo, Conditt, and Griffin could all average around 7-8 depending on rotations.

10. Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
    Male
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +2,301 / 102 / -2
    He loves guarding the ISU guys. He actually tries so it’s fun to watch. Him and Wigginton went at it 2 years ago. I could tell Lindell did not like him lol.

11. ClonesFTW

ClonesFTW Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Nov 13, 2013
    Male
    Finance/Sales
    Waukee
    Ratings:
    +2,358 / 91 / -4
    I remember that night, LW's first game in CCL in Ankeny. Malachi tripped him up twice in the first few minutes, I won't be upset when he's done playing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Ratings:
    +12,014 / 907 / -8
    Yep. It’s all fun and games until someone twists an ankle. I’m guessing Malachi will still be playing in the CCL in 5 years.

Oddly enough, that was the night I severely sprained my ankle climbing into the bleachers.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. tyler24

tyler24 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Ratings:
    +1,582 / 73 / -5
    If Jacobson increases his three point percentage, it isn't crazy to think. He would be a threat in the pick and pop and he gets a lot of garbage points. I would not be surprised if he averages 14-16 points. This is going to be a team of balance now that we don't have players who need the ball like shayok and wigginton.

He averages 11 last year and he was poor 3 point shorter. Averaging another 5 points isn't a ton if that percentage increases a bit.

14. Statefan10

May 20, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,444 / 67 / -0
    Mike shot 34% last year which isn't that poor for a big man. If he's better than that this year I'd be very happy!

15. mwwbbfan

mwwbbfan Active Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Iowa City, IA
    Ratings:
    +212 / 5 / -0
    My uneducated guess would be moving the three point line back will affect MJ more than the perimeter players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MJ271

MJ271 Active Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Male
    Atkins
    Ratings:
    +236 / 16 / -0
    Did anyone else think it seemed like Lewis was taking a lot fewer threes towards the end of the CCL season? I kind of wonder if the coaching staff wanted him to focus on his drive and finishing game this summer. Then again, I might be completely wrong and there wasn't any difference in his three point attempts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. J-Diggy

J-Diggy Active Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Ratings:
    +196 / 1 / -0
    Couple odds and ends:
    - Tre Jackson, assuming his game translates to the Big 12, will be an all-time fan favorite. Can do some flashy things with the ball, shoot it really well, and is a super nice and engaging guy. I heard him asking a little kid who was getting is autograph what grade he was in, etc. Love it when the guys embrace being ambassadors for ISU.
    - I have on good authority that the short, blond ref is actually a high school cross country coach. What the heck does he know about basketball?!?!? I kid -- the refs do their best. TJ is the dark haired one mentioned earlier that does tons of games. Last week there was a reddish hair guy who is actually on track to be an NBA/G-League level ref. Red-haired guy is the one who ran Malachi out of his playoff game with two technicals.
    - This year's guys were much more into the games than some years. Bolton is a talker and Conditt loves to be in the middle of the trash talking too. Lewis seems to be a frequent target but mixes it up as well.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Doc

Doc Comrade Laski
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Aug 6, 2006
    Male
    Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +17,309 / 734 / -13
    He also has a really nice short post game.