***Official Y Cap City Thread***

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
And when you take into account mistimed gambling on steals and blocking fouls the net impact results in modest DBPM and DRtg numbers? Even on poor teams the latter is generally favorable to guys that make possession-ending plays.

We certainly need guys that will commit to playing team defense and that can handle, which more aptly describes what we’ve seen of Nixon than Lewis. But if one is using TL’s stats like 3P shooting and rebounding rate as a standard of insufficient play, the difference between Lewis and Nixon is not that large imo.

So you're moving on from Wigginton to Nixon? Got it.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
When you combine charges taken and steals, he creates a lot of extra possessions. We didn't have anyone last season willing to stay in front of their man, let alone take a charge.

I don't think you're remembering THT. He was pretty good at taking charges last year for a frosh.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't think you're remembering THT. He was pretty good at taking charges last year for a frosh.

He was one of the better ones, for sure. But he was pretty much the only guy that had any feel for it, and it wasn't a staple of his game. Nixon is going to be a nuisance for opponents.

Reactions: isutrevman

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We don't need him to be a sniper, we need him to be able to penetrate in order to kick/dish and stay in front of the opposing PG. If he does those two things effectively he will be very valuable.
I also think he will be a quality 3 point shooter. A lot of the shots in his highlight tape from CSU were tough looking shots and usually were coming off the dribble, which might have led to his low percentages. Hopefully with better play makers around him he'll be taking more open looks / higher percentage shots.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence and Doc

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I also think he will be a quality 3 point shooter. A lot of the shots in his highlight tape from CSU were tough looking shots and usually were coming off the dribble, which might have led to his low percentages. Hopefully with better play makers around him he'll be taking more open looks / higher percentage shots.

He’s been a bad shooter in the CCL.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: clonedude and ComCY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He’s been a bad shooter in the CCL.
I'm going to have the mindset that his hurt wrist combined with it being a summer league is what's constituting some of that.

Miller_Cy_Life

Jun 19, 2018
I can't shake the feeling that Javan Johnson is Zoran Talley reincarnate. They're both tall small forwards without much of an outside shot, but excel at penetrating. But, that's just my take from seeing statlines at cap city. Anyone have a take on his role next year?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I can't shake the feeling that Javan Johnson is Zoran Talley reincarnate. They're both tall small forwards without much of an outside shot, but excel at penetrating. But, that's just my take from seeing statlines at cap city. Anyone have a take on his role next year?

Talley could never shoot.

Johnson shot 43.8% from three as a freshman.

Talley's best season was his junior year -- 28.0% in Ames.

Talley + 40% from three = a dang fine player.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I don't think Johnson's handle is as refined as Talley's. I would be concerned if I saw Johnson with the ball in his hands against a press.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Javan Johnson has more potential as a shooter. I really like his game. He could be a threat from outside where as Talley just wasn’t an option at all and teams didn’t have to respect his shot. I think there will be games where Johnson gets hot from 3.

Miller_Cy_Life

Jun 19, 2018
Javan Johnson has more potential as a shooter. I really like his game. He could be a threat from outside where as Talley just wasn’t an option at all and teams didn’t have to respect his shot. I think there will be games where Johnson gets hot from 3.

Dig it. I always liked Talley's game. Wish he could've carved out a more significant role in his second year, but love hearing how quality of a transfer Javan will be. That'll give our guards a little more height for the future with Zion stepping into (hopefully at least by then) a more significant role as well

• Winner
Reactions: salennon07

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Dig it. I always liked Talley's game. Wish he could've carved out a more significant role in his second year, but love hearing how quality of a transfer Javan will be. That'll give our guards a little more height for the future with Zion stepping into (hopefully at least by then) a more significant role as well
I liked Talley’s game too. I was surprised at how little of an impact he made in his second year. It was strange seeing everyone from 2017-18 make less of an impact in 2018-19. (Wiggy, Talley, Lard)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I liked Talley’s game too. I was surprised at how little of an impact he made in his second year. It was strange seeing everyone from 2017-18 make less of an impact in 2018-19. (Wiggy, Talley, Lard)

Bad teams usually became good teams by replacing their players, if we are frank about it. Shayok, Haliburton, and Jacobson were better than those three in their respective roles.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Bad teams usually became good teams by replacing their players, if we are frank about it. Shayok, Haliburton, and Jacobson were better than those three in their respective roles.
Shayok for sure. I still feel like Wigginton and Lard could’ve made us even better if they were used more. We did go 9-9 in Big 12 and made an early exit in the tournament so we had room to improve and I think that would’ve been more likely to happen with Wigginton and Lard than Tyrese and Jacobson. Those two guys playing more last year will be beneficial for this year though. I don’t think the problem in 2017-18 was Lindell and Cam. If you remove those two from that team and replace them with Tyrese and Jacobson, that team still finishes last in the Big 12.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Shayok for sure. I still feel like Wigginton and Lard could’ve made us even better if they were used more. We did go 9-9 in Big 12 and made an early exit in the tournament so we had room to improve and I think that would’ve been more likely to happen with Wigginton and Lard than Tyrese and Jacobson. Those two guys playing more last year will be beneficial for this year though.

I agree with you that Wigginton and Lard were definitely a cut above Talley.

Shayok and Wigginton were both high-volume "chuckers" -- Shayok was just a better one (Shayok was a slightly better shooter from the field, but much better from the line, which added up over time). You only need so many of those guys out on the floor at a time.

Haliburton was marvelous. He moved the ball, spaced the floor, did not demand a high usage, rarely turned the ball over, and was probably our best defender and attitude guy. Replacing him with another high-volume guy like Wigginton who played suspect defense was probably not going to be a net improvement. You need guys who can contribute without the ball in their hands, and that describes Tyrese but does not really describe Lindell very well.

I can see a case that there should have been more Wigginton and less Horton-Tucker, though, but LW did play more minutes than THT in the Big 12 and far more minutes than him in the postseason tournaments. Shayok was a better chucker than Wigginton, but Wigginton was a better chucker than Horton-Tucker. You can have two out there, not three.

Lard was so maddeningly inconsistent. At his best, he was the best big man in the conference. There were other times where he fouled out in just a few minutes. The best version was far better than Jacobson, but I am not sure the median version was better than the relatively steady play that you could expect from Jacobson on any given night.

So yes, we improved in no small part because we replaced either less efficient or less consistent players with better ones, especially Shayok and Haliburton.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Shayok for sure. I still feel like Wigginton and Lard could’ve made us even better if they were used more. We did go 9-9 in Big 12 and made an early exit in the tournament so we had room to improve and I think that would’ve been more likely to happen with Wigginton and Lard than Tyrese and Jacobson. Those two guys playing more last year will be beneficial for this year though. I don’t think the problem in 2017-18 was Lindell and Cam. If you remove those two from that team and replace them with Tyrese and Jacobson, that team still finishes last in the Big 12.

When Wiggs was good he played a lot. He didn’t start but he was getting a lot of minutes.

Lard was a liability most of the time.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Agree - also, he's very athletic (like Talley) and can also finish at the hoop with either hand... he's had some nice left-handed finishes (lay-ups) in the CCL. Looking forward to how he can develop his handle and shooting consistency during his year off - a la Shayok & Jacobson. Nice length to have in the backcourt/wing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron