*** Official Xavier vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
We ran them out of the gym if I remember correctly, then the programs went completely different directions.

Yeah, it was like a fork in the road and we didn't realize it at the time. Fell short vs. U-M in first round then caught fire in that game ... Even with the early loss at Oregon State, I still thought we had NIT/bubble potential. *Sigh*

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
KenPom moved our projection up to 15 wins on the season after tonight.

With the addition of Tre, unless there is some injury I can see this team winning 20 now and making the dance with no problem. They remind a bit of LE's group with Tinsley, Horton and Nurse in the back court. Not that good but the way TJ has them playing isn't Hoiball or GMAC ball. It reminds me of LE type of ball. He has done a fantastic job of blending the talent that was here (wanted to stay) and transfers. I like the fact we can have two point guards (Jackson/Hunter) at the court on the same time and not lose any #2 guard effectiveness. Going to be very hard to press.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is petty, but I had to roll my eyes when I read the summary of the game in the Des Moines Register. Overall, the article was positive, but there were two things that made me shake my head.

First, the article commented on how Iowa State's 3 point shooting percentage rebounded from it's dismal 0.5% from against Alabama State. I could have sworn we were 1 for 20 that game, not 1 for 200.

Then the article commented that Xavier's bench put up 34 points while Iowa State’s bench managed just 7 points. Yet it didn't bother to point out that Iowa State's starters put up 75, while Xavier's starters managed just 36.

Petty, I know, but it still bugged me.

Not like I read the Register these days but I had assumed the headline would have been Ex-Hawk Leads Xavier Against Cyclone With 24 Points.

:rolleyes:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
He started with Garza I think so I’m saying at least 5.

5th year with one regular redshirt and one medical hardship waiver. Not sure how the Covid thing fits into this but looks like he will be college for at least six years.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
With the addition of Tre, unless there is some injury I can see this team winning 20 now and making the dance with no problem. They remind a bit of LE's group with Tinsley, Horton and Nurse in the back court. Not that good but the way TJ has them playing isn't Hoiball or GMAC ball. It reminds me of LE type of ball. He has done a fantastic job of blending the talent that was here (wanted to stay) and transfers. I like the fact we can have two point guards (Jackson/Hunter) at the court on the same time and not lose any #2 guard effectiveness. Going to be very hard to press.

Don’t forget Grill could handle the point I’m an emergency situation

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Per our updated scholarship chart.
Condit, Brockington, Kalscheur and Kunc are seniors but could come back for another year. The only one I've heard not likely to return is Brockington who is in his 5th year already. Jones, Enaruna, Gill and Jackson are juniors so would each have 2 more years if they take the bonus.

Anyone else catch them saying that Xavier had 16 on their roster? Seems like being down 2 (though important ones) isn't that huge of a deal in that scenario.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Anyone else catch them saying that Xavier had 16 on their roster? Seems like being down 2 (though important ones) isn't that huge of a deal in that scenario.

I am sure Xavier will be a better team in a month when they get two key pieces back.

I would submit that ISU growth over the next. could out pace teams like Xavier and Oregon St. I expected the first 1/2 dozen games this year to be somewhat of a mess as TJ figure out the combinations and they learned to play together and then they would start to become competitive. Let's put that down as 'Ahead of Schedule'.

In other words, those pointing at ISU competition so far need to remember exactly how deep of hell hole this program is coming from in the last 12 months - not to mention losing 2 key pieces at the start of practice. Either TJ is a mastermind and he got this team to play to it's potential in just a few months or the best is yet to come.

In any case, we are going to learn some more Friday night - I be liking what we have learned so far.

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017

20 wins might give us the all-time record for win improvement from one season to the next. The current record is +17.5. I say might because I'm not sure how they calculate additional games played.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is petty, but I had to roll my eyes when I read the summary of the game in the Des Moines Register. Overall, the article was positive, but there were two things that made me shake my head.

First, the article commented on how Iowa State's 3 point shooting percentage rebounded from it's dismal 0.5% from against Alabama State. I could have sworn we were 1 for 20 that game, not 1 for 200.

Then the article commented that Xavier's bench put up 34 points while Iowa State’s bench managed just 7 points. Yet it didn't bother to point out that Iowa State's starters put up 75, while Xavier's starters managed just 36.

Petty, I know, but it still bugged me.

Haven't checked but I'd guess The Gazette gave more press to Nunge for his performance than ISU.

• Sad
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
20 wins might give us the all-time record for win improvement from one season to the next. The current record is +17.5. I say might because I'm not sure how they calculate additional games played.

LE went from 15-15 to 32-5 so if they win 20 that is one game better in the win column than the 99-00 team. Of course it's a little easier getting from 2 to 20 than 15 to 32 but still.....they do that TJ has to be Big 12 COTY.

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
LE went from 15-15 to 32-5 so if they win 20 that is one game better in the win column than the 99-00 team. Of course it's a little easier getting from 2 to 20 than 15 to 32 but still.....they do that TJ has to be Big 12 COTY.

Easily

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Finally put the game on. Want to put some shine on a great play though

Around the 15 minute mark in the 2nd half, Hunter went down tangled up with a Xavier player. Everyone kinda forgets about him until he's suddenly off the floor, picking off the pass and running it for a layup.

Went back to watch it again because I couldn't believe how quick he got off the ground to that. Turns out he went down with the Xavier player, but got back up, crouched down a bit to sell that he wasn't fully back in the play, and then when the pass went by he grabbed it and ran with it.

Just insane basketball IQ play there. We got ourselves a special one

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Around the 15 minute mark in the 2nd half, Hunter went down tangled up with a Xavier player. Everyone kinda forgets about him until he's suddenly off the floor, picking off the pass and running it for a layup.

Went back to watch it again because I couldn't believe how quick he got to that. Turns out he went down with the Xavier player, but got back up, crouched down a bit to sell that he wasn't fully back in the play, and then when the pass went by he grabbed it and ran with it.

Lew caught that as it was happening, and had me replay so I could see it. Hella BB IQ, no doubt.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Went back to watch it again because I couldn't believe how quick he got off the ground to that. Turns out he went down with the Xavier player, but got back up, crouched down a bit to sell that he wasn't fully back in the play, and then when the pass went by he grabbed it and ran with it.

Is that the play when it looks like he was just standing there waiting to intercept the pass? ... I think that's the one, I didn't notice the tangle-up before that.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Memphis #11 shorts :eek:

Guy's an absolute chucker shooting the ball too. He literally was hitting all backboard on some of his 3's. Fran F was actually calling him out for his terrible shot selection during the broadcast.