***Official USMNT Thread***

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Tactics are a big reason why you won't see blow outs. Think of a team running out the shot clock/play clock down before they do anything. Plus, in soccer a lot of things have to go right to score a goal.

Why did we beat Tech 66-10 and not 14-3 (score at the end of first quarter) by running out the clock?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Why did we beat Tech 66-10 and not 14-3 (score at the end of first quarter) by running out the clock?

Because Tech has a horrible defense and ISU knows that Tech would not let up if the situation was reversed.

Unless you are just trolling, there is no point comparing scoring in soccer to scoring in another sport. Defenses can be set up to severely limit scoring chances if a team has no intentions of countering. No other sport really has that as an option. Hockey would probably be the closest thing, but there are still a ton more scoring opportunities in hockey.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

Other way around. The worse team will try to stall the majority of the game and only take a few opportunities, unless there's only a few minutes left and they're down by a little. Then they will throw numbers forward to create chances.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Because Tech has a horrible defense and ISU knows that Tech would not let up if the situation was reversed.

Unless you are just trolling, there is no point comparing scoring in soccer to scoring in another sport. Defenses can be set up to severely limit scoring chances if a team has no intentions of countering. No other sport really has that as an option. Hockey would probably be the closest thing, but there are still a ton more scoring opportunities in hockey.

I'm not trolling. I'm saying (as a soccer fan) it is hard to tell the really good from the average because there is no differentiation between scores. Football is easy, basketball is easy, hockey is more like soccer but still easier to tell, and baseball is really a one-v-one sport at times that people may want to be able to see the better team dominate. Because soccer is so hard to tell a single game elimination tourney is not ideal because it's more based on luck than skill. I'm not saying the Premier League championship is the way to go, but that maybe it could be best of three to confirm the better team is better. I'm just thinking outside the box.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm not trolling. I'm saying (as a soccer fan) it is hard to tell the really good from the average because there is no differentiation between scores. Football is easy, basketball is easy, hockey is more like soccer but still easier to tell, and baseball is really a one-v-one sport at times that people may want to be able to see the better team dominate. Because soccer is so hard to tell a single game elimination tourney is not ideal because it's more based on luck than skill. I'm not saying the Premier League championship is the way to go, but that maybe it could be best of three to confirm the better team is better. I'm just thinking outside the box.

Lol 6 points for a goal, 3 for an OG, 5 for a pen. So a 3-0 with each of those scoring plays magically becomes 14-0 would that make you feel better? Because it doesn't change ****.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The convo in here got a little weird today.

Back to business, US v. Jamaica in the Gold Cup final kicks off in less than a hour.

• Winner
Reactions: srjclone

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Are the lineups out on Twitter yet? I'm still mad that Bruce the line cook cut Dwyer to bring in Jozy Icantscore.
DFs8lRfUMAAjqfw.jpg:large

Reactions: Gunnerclone

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
What are everyone's thoughts on the dark hoop kits? I'm a fan.
Not a fan, I am a fan of the more simplistic kits. I would take a red top or all blue version of this for sure:

2013%20MNT%20White%20Centennial%20Omar%20Gonzalez

Didn't hate these though (probably in the minority):

2015%20MNT%20Blue%20Jozy%20Altidore

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Jozy takes a ton of **** from US fans, not unlike the way Bradley gets crapped on. But I do think it's interesting that he's got the same goal scoring rate as Landon. They each have averaged a goal every 2.8 games for the US.

• Winner
Reactions: Cytasticlone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Jozy takes a ton of **** from US fans, not unlike the way Bradley gets crapped on. But I do think it's interesting that he's got the same goal scoring rate as Landon. They each have averaged a goal every 2.8 games for the US.

Except Donovan was pretty much a wide player. Jozy is a chance waster, Donovan was lethal when presented with good chances. Altidore is the definition of a donkey.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron