***Official USMNT Thread***

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
It's been a hot topic for a few days around here. The general feeling is that Sporting is now dealing directly with Orlando to acquire the top allocation spot in order to bring back Nemeth. He's working on finalizing his release from his Qatari club.

My daughter got a chance to meet his wife during a soccer camp last weekend. I'm wondering if she'll try for a trade to the Orlando Pride. They already have Marta and Alex Morgan, not to mention Ali Krieger. I'm not sure if there is room for another striker, but I'm sure they'd love to add Leroux.

I would love if they brought back Nemeth. He was my favorite player when he was here.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
I guess you lost me at Football. What would you like them to do? Baseball has the most expansive farm/feeder system of all of the sports. I guess, my thought was if they were to have a rel/pro system it would have to be with the NASL/USL teams, as they are already in place.

For players, it seems like the system they have in place works well so they can loan players to teams for seasons, if they aren't going to play or want to give them more time, but can recall them at different times as well.

Maybe that isn't how it is set up for every team at this time, but I've been told that is the first step in that direction. My buddy is on the Chicago Fire and plays D for them, but being behind Johan Kappelhof has caused him to be put out on loan the past season and a half. But he was brought up in situations throughout the year. He felt it was a great situation for him, as he thought he probably wouldn't be able to contain the Giovinco's and Depsey's of the world at this point. And he was only in St Louis so he could make the drive up to Toyota Park if they needed him to suit up.

I think a G-League type set up is a good system for the development of US soccer players, not sure how it would fare for the money-makers in the MLS though. They would have to take their lumps and promote USL/NASL teams for the first couple years until they establish the teams that will be going up and down, kinda like how the EPL has teams in the Championship that are the longest shot ever to reach the EPL, but they need to fill out that level with teams that can sustain.

MLS kind of does a "minor league" set up with the USL. A lot of teams have their "reserve" team in that league.

I think eventually MLS will get up to 40 teams. And then they will split that into a first and second division. That way owners won't lose out on their investment.

Reactions: srjclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I love the idea of relegation in MLS, but it's a very dangerous proposition in the US where soccer's footprint is still very tenuous. US Soccer has been on a diligent campaign to increase the popularity of the sport , but I worry that you run the risk of losing those newer fans whose favorite team gets relegated.

As a fairly new fan myself that tries to get some of his non-soccer friends to attend a game to appreciate the sport, I already envision their reactions.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I love the idea of relegation in MLS, but it's a very dangerous proposition in the US where soccer's footprint is still very tenuous. US Soccer has been on a diligent campaign to increase the popularity of the sport , but I worry that you run the risk of losing those newer fans whose favorite team gets relegated.

As a fairly new fan myself that tries to get some of his non-soccer friends to attend a game to appreciate the sport, I already envision their reactions.

I've been trying to jump into MLS but just can't seem to increase my fandom past USMNT.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
I've been trying to jump into MLS but just can't seem to increase my fandom past USMNT.

Best way would to be to pick a local team and attend a game. Sporting KC has the best atmosphere out of those teams, but I'm a bit bias. Chicago is the best team this year, but they have been terrible in the past. Minnesota sucks.

If you're looking for the best/most entertaining teams would be Chicago, Toronto, NYCFC, Seattle, Atlanta, and Dallas would be the teams for you. I prefer the local connection but everyone is different.

Also, catching the weekly games on ESPN and FS1 are a good way to get into the league and following it's story lines. And if you ever get on Reddit, there's an active sub that makes the league easy to follow. It's a fun league to follow because it's new, it's parody, and the constant expansion speculation.

Plus, I think the best way to grow the national team is going to be improving our domestic league and increasing our youth training which are directly tied together IMO.

Hope that helps.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

Sounds like you're open to becoming a fan. That's cool. My suggestion is the same as ISUCY23, go to a game and sit in the real supporters section. It's awesome! I lived in D.C. for several years and went to many games and that got me hooked. It's so much better than the sterile atmosphere that is an NBA or MLB regular season game. Yes, the quality of football is not a top-5 league, but I'd say it's just inside top-10 league world wide now in terms of talent. There are some exceptional older players who were among the best in the world at one time playing and some other great designated players. I think it just squeaks into the top 10 among world leagues.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Best way would to be to pick a local team and attend a game. Sporting KC has the best atmosphere out of those teams, but I'm a bit bias. Chicago is the best team this year, but they have been terrible in the past. Minnesota sucks.
Hey, first year you gotta take some lumps! Allianz showing their belief in the Loons when they agreed to the naming rights is all you need to know about where this squad is heading. Clearly on the trajectory to Bayern Munich and Juventus type success:D:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: ISUCY23

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
partied with Dom and Sydney quite a bit. Lots of fun. Didn't want to be in KC, Syd is gone as well. Her BFF is Alex Morgan. SKC gets some money to spend on some LB (or whatever) that plays in the 3rd division in Italy that Peter Vermes can get for cheap.

Best way to develop our National Team is to get the talented youths to not play college soccer and instead enter youth academies overseas. College soccer retards the development of most players.

If Matt Hedges plays tonight, i'm going to be very upset. Same with Zardes. Clint needs to be a super sub at this point in time in his career.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
partied with Dom and Sydney quite a bit. Lots of fun. Didn't want to be in KC, Syd is gone as well. Her BFF is Alex Morgan. SKC gets some money to spend on some LB (or whatever) that plays in the 3rd division in Italy that Peter Vermes can get for cheap.

Best way to develop our National Team is to get the talented youths to not play college soccer and instead enter youth academies overseas. College soccer retards the development of most players.

If Matt Hedges plays tonight, i'm going to be very upset. Same with Zardes. Clint needs to be a super sub at this point in time in his career.

So true about Vermes haha. Luckily the money they got in return can only be used to buy down player's contracts that are above the DP line.

But I'd argue that our domestic youth academies are more important than ones overseas. As MLS academies improve, our youth development will improve. I feel like right now, we miss out on so much talent just because it was overlooked or they can't afford to play. It's something we need to improve as a country.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
So true about Vermes haha. Luckily the money they got in return can only be used to buy down player's contracts that are above the DP line.

But I'd argue that our domestic youth academies are more important than ones overseas. As MLS academies improve, our youth development will improve. I feel like right now, we miss out on so much talent just because it was overlooked or they can't afford to play. It's something we need to improve as a country.

the domestic academies are fine for finding the diamonds or players to fill out a pool, but the top level players, the ones identified at 12 and 13, need to go to Europe and play with and against the best players in the World.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Hey, first year you gotta take some lumps! Allianz showing their belief in the Loons when they agreed to the naming rights is all you need to know about where this squad is heading. Clearly on the trajectory to Bayern Munich and Juventus type success:D:rolleyes:

I'm a Vikings/Wolves/Wild/Twins fan so I suppose I should give Minnesota a try. Though also would like to see Sporting KC.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm a Vikings/Wolves/Wild/Twins fan so I suppose I should give Minnesota a try. Though also would like to see Sporting KC.
I haven't made it to a game, but they seem to have leveled off after starting the season terribly. I'm not expecting them to be world beaters and it'll be hard for them to bring in a Superstar that is out of his prime as Minneapolis isn't the hottest destination for Europeans. But as a soccer fan I like that their games are all on local TV so I can watch if I want. I will certainly make my way to a game next year and of course at their new stadium.

Reactions: ISUCY23

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
the domestic academies are fine for finding the diamonds or players to fill out a pool, but the top level players, the ones identified at 12 and 13, need to go to Europe and play with and against the best players in the World.
It's harder to do this now due to FIFA rules. Pulisic was only able to go to Dortmund because he has a Croatian passport.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

ISU has had an alumni event at Sporting matches for a couple years now. It's not ideal for tailgating, but it's a good time. This year's is actually Saturday night.

Or just go sit in the Cauldron and scream your head off.

Reactions: mj4cy

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
i went to a lot of Minnesota Thunder games growing up (precursor to MN United) and found it much more fun then than now. It's hard to see who is really good vs just okay on a personal level. And (this is not an "American complaint" about soccer) it's tough to see who is the really good team when the score is still 2-1 or 3-1. In football or basketball the better team will often wipe the floor with the lesser team, yet in soccer we rarely see 10-0 or 8-2 blowouts. If English or Mexican players are that much better (and they are!) why are the scores vs average teams still... well.. average?
Seems like a pretty "American complaint" haha

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
i went to a lot of Minnesota Thunder games growing up (precursor to MN United) and found it much more fun then than now. It's hard to see who is really good vs just okay on a personal level. And (this is not an "American complaint" about soccer) it's tough to see who is the really good team when the score is still 2-1 or 3-1. In football or basketball the better team will often wipe the floor with the lesser team, yet in soccer we rarely see 10-0 or 8-2 blowouts. If English or Mexican players are that much better (and they are!) why are the scores vs average teams still... well.. average?

Tactics are a big reason why you won't see blow outs. Think of a team running out the shot clock/play clock down before they do anything. Plus, in soccer a lot of things have to go right to score a goal.

And English/Mexican players aren't that much better.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
As a long time EPL fan (since the early 90's thank you Primestar!) the MLS is just getting better and better. Now, if you're one of those "names" guys it might not be for you. The beauty of MLS is in the guys that have come up through their clubs academies and the pace of the game. It's generally high pressing and fluid. The teams at the top and bottom are more evenly matched than teams in European leagues so there really isn't any Arsenal vs. Sunderland type matches when Arsenal has the ball for 80 minutes and Sunderland is just hoofing long balls to try to catch a fluke goal.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
It's harder to do this now due to FIFA rules. Pulisic was only able to go to Dortmund because he has a Croatian passport.

Exactly. The only way a player under 18 can make the move to Europe is if they can get a European passport. This pretty drastically limits the options for a kid who's family has lived in the States for generations. This is just another reason that it's absolutely critical for professional clubs here to develop strong academy systems.

Help Support Us

Become a patron