*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
I just hate that the takeaway from this bracket is punt on the conference tournament unless you are on the bubble or OUT.

They are literally putting more emphasis on games 5 months ago over 24 hours and it's insane
Most teams haven't even established their identity before conference play. Basing seeding on who was on the schedule in November is silly.
I don't get the love for Illinois. There are 10 teams in the Big 12 with a better defensive rating than them.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
Of the 7 seeds, the only team I'd prefer to see than wsu is Dayton (b/c we can't play tex@ss).

Of the 3 seeds, I'd choose Illinois over the other options.

Uconn for final 4 sucks, but all of the elite 8 teams are going to be tough.

It's just gotta be "one game at a time"... And avoiding frosted tips.

I'd be pissed if I were uconn... on paper their region is stacked.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Agree. Yes, we are MUCH better than Drake is... but when you play an instate team that's literally just down the road from you... it does give the lesser team a LOT more motivation. That's what sucks about this.
It’s March madness. Pretty sure every team will go into every game with the same motivation.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I don’t get the Drake fear. I’ve watched plenty of Drake games & they are a one man show. Their big center dominates in the MVC but he is slow and not a leaper and does not protect the rim. They are not the juggernaut they were last year by any means.

No one feared Drake in football a few years ago as well.

If they get past their first round game, and so does ISU.............Drake has a shooters chance. They may not be BYU......but if they are hitting it will make ISU fans a bit more nervous than they would like.

Weirder things have happened in the tourney.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
When confronted with the brutal truth that Big 12 is toughest conference, the committee stated that they evaluate the entire season, including the Noncon, and ISU's weak noncon hurt them. Then why didn't the weak ACC schedule hurt UNC? Total season SOS: ISU = 16, UNC = 31. Tenn has SOS 10 so I can see them above us maybe, but not UNC.

It seems that they just didn’t use conference strength at all. ACC, Big 10, Big 12, it’s all the same.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
When confronted with the brutal truth that Big 12 is toughest conference, the committee stated that they evaluate the entire season, including the Noncon, and ISU's weak noncon hurt them. Then why didn't the weak ACC schedule hurt UNC? Total season SOS: ISU = 16, UNC = 31. Tenn has SOS 10 so I can see them above us maybe, but not UNC.
Because it’s all BS. It’s the magician waving his hands and telling you to look over there while they move the pea to the other cup.

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
Tru TV. This is the only time of the year where I wish I had cable. Could pay for Max with ads. Either that or I watch it out at a bar. Wonder if there are enough Clevelander Cyclone fans for a game watch. At least I don't have to skip out on work.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I just hate that the takeaway from this bracket is punt on the conference tournament unless you are on the bubble or OUT.

They are literally putting more emphasis on games 5 months ago over 24 hours and it's insane
It's a horrible precedent, the idea that a fake in November counts as much just shows how little basketball people are involved here.

Reactions: rosshm16

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
Anybody watch the women's bracket reveal? They interviewed the chairwoman of that committee and the first question was why Texas over Stanford for the last #1 seed. Her answer was basically that Texas faced 3 straight tournament teams in their conference tournament and won impressively, so it was really about how well they were playing lately...

My 8-year-old and I looked at each other and just laughed.