MLB: ***Official MLB Postseason Thread***

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Nats are gonna be tough. Scherzer and Strasburg are a dominant one-two punch in a playoff series. I know they beat Mad Max once this year, but that dude is as big of a competitor as I've ever seen. Probably going to have to beat Scherzer twice to win the series. I think their bullpen is shaky though? I don't know much about them beyond the rotation.

Cards have Flaherty who's been dominant, but the rotation falls off quickly after that. Here's to hoping the Cards can keep the offense rolling!
Worse than Atlanta's. And that's saying something. Might actually have the worst in baseball, actually. Not even kidding, they're horrible.

Max and Stras are as good as any 1,2 in baseball outside of Houston though. Throw in Pat Corbin and you've got a pretty solid playoff rotation.

Wish LA would've won. There isn't a good outcome to the NLCS for me. **** both those organizations.

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Worse than Atlanta's. And that's saying something. Might actually have the worst in baseball, actually. Not even kidding, they're horrible.

Max and Stras are as good as any 1,2 in baseball outside of Houston though. Throw in Pat Corbin and you've got a pretty solid playoff rotation.

Wish LA would've won. There isn't a good outcome to the NLCS for me. **** both those organizations.

All my family was asking who I wanted the Cards to play and I honestly didn't have a good answer. LA on paper is the best team in the NL, but WAS has been playing good ball and has the strong top of the rotation.

I feel like WAS lineup is a bit of a drop off from ATL though. Acuna, Albies, Freeman, and Donaldson was a tough lineup to get through all in a row. Rendon and Soto can swing it, but I'm less worried about the rest of their lineup. If the Cards can somehow beat Scherzer in game 1 (assuming he starts), I'll feel really good about the rest of the series.

Either way, if the Cards don't advance, I'm thrilled with this result. If you told me in July the Cards would be playing meaningful baseball into mid-October, I'd have told you that you were crazy. They have far exceeded my expectations this year.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
All my family was asking who I wanted the Cards to play and I honestly didn't have a good answer. LA on paper is the best team in the NL, but WAS has been playing good ball and has the strong top of the rotation.

I feel like WAS lineup is a bit of a drop off from ATL though. Acuna, Albies, Freeman, and Donaldson was a tough lineup to get through all in a row. Rendon and Soto can swing it, but I'm less worried about the rest of their lineup. If the Cards can somehow beat Scherzer in game 1 (assuming he starts), I'll feel really good about the rest of the series.

Either way, if the Cards don't advance, I'm thrilled with this result. If you told me in July the Cards would be playing meaningful baseball into mid-October, I'd have told you that you were crazy. They have far exceeded my expectations this year.
It sucks Freeman and Donaldson essentially disappeared this week. And Markakis and McCann. I think Freddie Freeman said it best in his post-game interview last night saying that this season was a failure. With that lineup, it's embarrassing they didn't achieve more. Especially after signing DK and "fixing" (*eye roll*) the bullpen at the deadline.

St Louis did what they needed to do last night and that was tag Folty with a run early. Once you do that with him the flood gates always open. He's so mentally fragile. I get the reasoning behind slotting Soroka in game 3 (he was lights out on the road all year) but for your ace to only pitch one game in a series you end up losing.... smh.

Washington will be tough. Soto is basically Acuna with more plate discipline. Rendon is Rendon. Trea Turner is good. Howie Old Man Kendrick is going to rake when given the opportunity. Crazy eyes Max is gonna give them two good games. I think Washington has the better roster but that obviously means nothing. It will be a good series and I'll struggle to even watch it.

I'm a butthurt sore loser, I know.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Many congrats to the Nats for negating LA's home field advantage in the first round and moving on. Last night was a great night. :D

Had listen to Rome today after LA's collapse. He said maybe every day after a Dodgers playoff collapse should be a national holiday. I have to agree and laughing at Dodgers fan callers calling for Roberts to fired and Kershaw traded.

Reactions: Buster28

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
5 game series need to go... While i'm not sure they completely to blame here, it'd be a travesty to lose the two best teams in the first round. Baseball is a sport where best team doesn't always win, but easier for the better team to come out of deficit in 7 game series.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
5 game series need to go... While i'm not sure they completely to blame here, it'd be a travesty to lose the two best teams in the first round. Baseball is a sport where best team doesn't always win, but easier for the better team to come out of deficit in 7 game series.
One Wild Card from each league, 7 game LDS, LCS, and WS and do away with the other crap.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Make the wildcard best of three and first round 4 of 7 and play till November? :rolleyes:

As it is they need to think about going back to a 154 game regular season and wrap things up sooner and maybe start the season a week later.

Reactions: cyclones500

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Cards-Nats is going to be the most Big 10 Basketball Baseball series of all time.

Seeing eye single, sac bunt, shallow fly out to center field for the second out, blooper drops between short and left field, Cards win game one, 1-0.

Reactions: heitclone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Make the wildcard best of three and first round 4 of 7 and play till November? :rolleyes:

As it is they need to think about going back to a 154 game regular season and wrap things up sooner and maybe start the season a week later.

Although it'll never happen because of $, I'm an advocate of slight reductions in regular and postseason for MLB, NBA and NFL (I don't have a firm opinion about hockey).

I think, especially compared to NBA's drawn-out postseason, MLB's playoff setup of 1-game WC, best-of-5, best-of-7, best-of-7 is a fairly tight setup.

Divisional series doesn't need to go up to best-of-7. If you can't get it done it 5 as the top seed, TFB. (And I say that even as a Dodgers fan).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Interesting comparisons. Can't say I disagree with any of it. It's kind of a push position by position as a total (six each cause of tie at DH) but I think starting pitching and home field = Astro's in seven, at least on paper. Astro's are so good the Yanks 38 homer 2nd baseman doesn't get the nod cause Altuve.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/yanks-astros-position-by-position-breakdown

hrqhj4tcfbac4etkibyz

Not sure who Yank starter is yet. Game one is the Yanks chance to steal one in Houston before they have to face Verlander and Cole who are both better than anyone else's #1's. One of them will screw the other out of the Cy Young this year.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
No hitter thru 7 but I’m not sure he’s coming back out.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
No hitter thru 7 but I’m not sure he’s coming back out.

He’s only at 89 pitches and the bottom of the order is coming up. He’s really in a good position to go one more. I think one of Washington’s good relievers is out this game as well so they may try to stick it out one more.