Official KU postgame thread

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Also, maybe work on not letting teams just run right by you for easy layups. Not sure of any drills that fix that in practice but I’m sure @Fitzy can find some

I wondered if players were worried about risking a blocking foul in the lane or something. There was some tight one-on-one defense on drives, but KU still glided mostly untouched for lay-ins. Looked like ISU could have impeded some of the drive-momentum better.

Separate question, what did you guys think about the zone? I liked seeing it as a mix-up, do you think we could have applied it more? Would it have helped to use it a little more?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I wondered if players were worried about risking a blocking foul in the lane or something. There was some tight one-on-one defense on drives, but KU still glided mostly untouched for lay-ins. Looked like ISU could have impeded some of the drive-momentum better.

Separate question, what did you guys think about the zone? I liked seeing it as a mix-up, do you think we could have applied it more? Would it have helped to use it a little more?

It was a good change up out of a timeout but Lawson would eat our zone alive. Especially tonight where he was not missing from anywhere.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
We lost the game with poor second half defense, turnovers, and questionable free throw shooting (until late when we were already down two possessions).

To be honest, some of those stats should have had us losing big.

We hit 40% from 3 and outscored them from the FT line, lost the board battle, by 2, and 3 more TO's.

So not too bad really

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016

I thought switching to the zone out of timeout was genius to void anything Self drew up during the timeout. It turned the possession out of the timeout into a turnover in the instance I am thinking about. Switching it up after KU started their 2nd half run could have stalled their run too.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
- Shayok continues to be the go-to late.
- I believe Cyclones made 4 shots that didn't count when a foul had been called. Biggest was on Shayok, who sidestepped and buried a 3. (I've seen that counted recently!)
- Probably the most impressive thing was that just when it was on the verge of getting away, the team fought back.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
Lewis and Conditt would have been lost out there. Lewis hasn't played defense all year, and Conditt would have been going against the best player in the conference. Talley, I would have tried because of his defense and matchup options.

Lewis, maybe. But Conditt could have given at least some semblance of a rim protector. He sure didn’t look lost when he put up 9 & 4 against KSU. Obviously Lawson is a different cat, but I don’t think having a shot blocker to deter Garrett from making the same drive down the lane all night would have hurt.

Jan 8, 2019
My main question...What is Prohm’s aversion to playing more than 7-8 guys? When you have two guys as volatile as Wiggy and Lard, wouldn’t you want to at least have a couple of guys that could give you 5-10 mins on nights like tonight when those two give you absolutely nothing. You can’t tell me it would honestly hurt you to give Talley, Lewis, or Conditt a few of their minutes?

Obviously when those two are playing well, they should get those minutes. But when one fouls out in 6 minutes and the other can’t hit a shot but insists on forcing the issue and making bad decisions all night, I wonder why he doesn’t budge on this line of thinking.

I'm fine with Steve playing 7-8 guys. It means they are less fresh defensively but subbing too much doesn't give guys a chance to get in an offensive rhythm. Tonight may have been a rare instance you use more of your weapons off the bench for obvious reasons. Even though Steve blew the rotation tonight Lard didn't do him any favors.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Lewis, maybe. But Conditt could have given at least some semblance of a rim protector. He sure didn’t look lost when he put up 9 & 4 against KSU. Obviously Lawson is a different cat, but I don’t think having a shot blocker to deter Garrett from making the same drive down the lane all night would have hurt.

Lawson would have abused him worse than any of the other two. He is too weak to provide any interference. Would have fouled out faster than lard did.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I haven't gone back to watch, but I think many of those drives were more great play calls and sets by Self, than a lack of a rim protector.

I think if Prohm puts Conditt in, Self quits the dribble drive, and immediately goes to the high low, with Lawson against Conditt.

crayhons

Mar 6, 2013
Losing that game is just another wasted opportunity - add it to the list with the Baylor and KSU games. Even more frustrating is the fact that this Kansas team is nowhere near as good as teams we've faced in the past and still can't get over the hump. We'll never win the B12 regular season with "well, at least it was close" mentality.

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
There's a lot of things that went wrong tonight, and we were still in the game to the end. Two things that I found frustrating were:
1. We seemed to relax for a split second when Garrett would get the ball, and once he turns the corner he is getting to the rim. Props to him.
2. If Lawson is going to make jumpers with a hand in his face, you know it is his night. I can live with him settling for three pointers and long two's. He just happened to make them tonight.

Dress Slacks

Jan 7, 2018
Overland Park, KS
Losing that game is just another wasted opportunity - add it to the list with the Baylor and KSU games. Even more frustrating is the fact that this Kansas team is nowhere near as good as teams we've faced in the past and still can't get over the hump. We'll never win the B12 regular season with "well, at least it was close" mentality.

Sadly that mentality has been driven into our souls.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
That game is nothing like a game against Baylor, and a home game in Hilton.

As fans, we can have moral victories. We don't play, don't scout, and don't come up with game plans. Being down 8, after a 14-0 run in phog, then coming back to tie it and taking it down to the wire against a still very good KU team, shows a lot of character. I was honestly surprised it was even a close game.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I haven't gone back to watch, but I think many of those drives were more great play calls and sets by Self, than a lack of a rim protector.

I think if Prohm puts Conditt in, Self quits the dribble drive, and immediately goes to the high low, with Lawson against Conditt.

Fair, Lawson was unreal tonight and would have probably found a way to put up pointsWould have still liked to see something, but I guess I still question the general philosophy a bit if your two main bench guys are as inconsistent as ours currently are.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron