MLB: ***Official Cubs 2018-19 Offseason Thread***

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Start looking for a new hitting coach first thing tomorrow (today?).

Starting pitchers are fine, hopefully get Darvish healthy next year. Agree on the stud closer; Chavez impressed me, but not sure he’s quite there yet.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
They could work on swinging the ******* bat without trying to hit a home run. Same problem for most of the year. It was a close game tonight, but the Rockies hitters put on a clinic of good form the entire time -- and eventually it paid off.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Who are some candidates for hitting coach?

Well considering Colorado isn't a big market I'd go after their guy Duane Epsey or Brewers hitting coach Darnell Coles.

Anyone from a small market who has done something productive with a bunch of nobodies (Story, Lemehiu) can take this job.

The Red Sox were one of the worst offenses in baseball last year. Fired Chili Davis. Became the best offense in baseball.

Cubs were one of the best offenses in baseball last year. Fired their hitting coach for more. Became one of the worst offenses in baseball.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I could coach Little League baseball and I'd pull a kid if he was swinging at some of the pitches we were in 2-0, 3-1 counts.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Biggest beef is we just have a ton of guys who's role on a playoff team will never be more than being a glorified bench player.

Get rid of these guys. Let them be stars in a small market. Can you imagine the impact Schwarber would have for the Royals/Rays/Twins? The name alone would give them excitement.

Rockies proved tonight you don't need glorified bench players, you need a 5, 6, 7 stars and a few guys on your bench to help out later.

Tony ******* Wolter won the game for them. Meanwhile, I believe our entire bench went hitless.

But hey, Happ has a good approach, Schwarber has power, etc...gets old.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan32

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Lastly, the last few years Theo has held his end of the year press conference extremely quickly at seasons end.

I would guess by Friday he gives us his offseason plans.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
My Concerns for next year/future (I'm sure to some I will be considered Mr. Negative but I just think it's reality):

Starting Pitching:
Lester: Hell of a competitor but stuff isn't what it once was. Rarely goes more than 5 or 6 innings, up there in age.
Darvish: Can't count on him, injury prone and mental midget
Quintana: Solid pitcher but not elite by any means. Also usually only goes 2 times through the order (5 or 6 innings).
Hamels: Pitched well for the most part but is up there in age and have to figure out what to do with his contract (pick up big money or not?)
Hendricks: Solid, but his stuff/command has to be just right or gets hit hard. Took him quite a bit of time to get on track this year.
Chatwood: Can't throw strikes...can't count on him.
Montgomery: Average starting pitcher at best, hopefully will just be a long relief guy.

Hitters:
Schwarber, Heyward, Contreras, Almora, Happ, Russell (who will probably be gone): Average (at best) to below average hitters this point.
Bryant: coming off of shoulder injury. So who knows how that responds? Shoulder rehabs are tricky.
Murphy: Doubt he is re-signed. Guessing some AL team will pay him good money to DH for them.
Bote: Nice story but he faded down the stretch. Real deal of not?

Offense- 40 freaking games of scoring 0 or 1 runs.
At least I would assume Chili Davis isn't coming back.

Bullpen
Morrow-Can you trust him health wise? Theo already said that next year they are going to baby him quite a bit.
Edwards-Can't trust to throw strikes
Chavez: Free Agent so who knows if he will be back?
Strop: Can count on 1-2 DL stints a year with him. Streaky at times as well.
Cishek: Used a TON this year, arm going to respond next season?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: chuckd4735

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Biggest beef is we just have a ton of guys who's role on a playoff team will never be more than being a glorified bench player.

Get rid of these guys. Let them be stars in a small market. Can you imagine the impact Schwarber would have for the Royals/Rays/Twins? The name alone would give them excitement.

Rockies proved tonight you don't need glorified bench players, you need a 5, 6, 7 stars and a few guys on your bench to help out later.

Tony ******* Wolter won the game for them. Meanwhile, I believe our entire bench went hitless.

But hey, Happ has a good approach, Schwarber has power, etc...gets old.

Royals have as many WS as overhyped Cubs in last 4 years. GFY.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I’m not trashing them. They will not be going to the playoffs anytime soon. Do they even have anyone from the 2015 team?
Alex Gordon? They will be selling for the next couple years
Dayton Moore is a weird dude. They believe they will be competitive next season and back in the playoffs in two seasons. There is zero chance he trades Whit.

• Winner
Reactions: xboxfever