***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This is a pretty broad line of storms right now, from OK, up thru IA and MN. We are in the south end of the tail right now.

Heavy rain now (SW MO) with some high winds and smaller pop-up tornados N & SW of us. Not near as bad as last week but 'hanging on'.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Below are three YouTube videos of the Minden tornado someone sent to me.

I haven't looked at them for awhile, but the first two are shorter, and the third captures a longer sequence (10 minutes).

I'll add some brief notes from what I recall.

Here is someone driving in from the north, as the tornado hits. I-80 is 2 miles north.

I believe this is south of Minden (and the second part of the video is on Lincoln NE).

This captures more of the entire sequence, but less close up. See more of the shape shifting (on east side, out?, on its way out of Minden?). IIRC might have been driving in from the north, but decided to turn around, maybe some of this is from I-80.

Horrible, powerful, nasty. If something like this misses you, you thank God or your lucky stars!

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Seems like there were some tornado warnings but haven’t heard of anything too bad in Iowa. Hoping that is the case at least.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Grimes facebook group posters saying 1.5 inches in their rain gauges.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If you're waking me and the kids up at 1:15 there better be a damn tornado.

Just kidding. Appreciate erring on the side of caution. But that kind of sucked for what wound up being a normal thunderstorm.
Yeah, I'm not the type of person that needs a lot of sleep, so waking up 2 hours after falling asleep makes it hard to get back to sleep. Luckily my three dogs went right back to sleep after hauling them all downstairs, but it still probably took me an hour before I fell asleep again.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Just over 2 inches of rain for SW West Des Moines last night.

Saylorville Lake is forecast to rise 17+ feet from the recent storms. Any other flooding issues in Iowa?

Would prefer this amount of rain to be slow and gradual over a days time versus in a couple hours.