***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
May 2012? Cant remember the year Des Moines got about 5” of the wet heavy in the first week of May. I could be way off though I’m 43 so Twitter tells me i probably have early dementia.
May 2013. I remember because I got married that weekend, it was 80 degrees when I drove home on Wednesday, and Thursday morning there was sleet/snow. The wedding was supposed to be outdoors at a local winery; luckily we were able to roll with it and do the whole thing indoors.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Supposed to be snow and rain in the next 10 days. Would be kind of miserable out but a good swatch of precip would be good.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Seven day Precip Potential looks like nuisance amounts, not drought relieving amounts.

View attachment 125753
0.5" wouldn't be a nuisance. If we were to receive enough rain in the next 10 days to take us out of "drought" status we would be in trouble. It would take many weeks of regular rains to effectively reverse the issues we have. 8" of rain in a week would look good on paper but very little would make it to the subsoil.

Reactions: ABECyguy and wxman1

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Seven day Precip Potential looks like nuisance amounts, not drought relieving amounts.

View attachment 125753

GFS on Skip Talbot's models for the last few days have been painting a bullseye on Iowa for precip be it rain or snow. Seems the NWS in their discussions are picking up on that. Interesting to see if any of this comes to fruition. Even Weatherstreet is agreeing and some of the totals are quite substantial.

• Informative
Reactions: Turn2 and aauummm

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
GFS on Skip Talbot's models for the last few days have been painting a bullseye on Iowa for precip be it rain or snow. Seems the NWS in their discussions are picking up on that. Interesting to see if any of this comes to fruition. Even Weatherstreet is agreeing and some of the totals are quite substantial.
Sorry if it came across as cynical, but it gets tiring to hear of "ATMOSPHERIC RIVERS!" and "Some people could pick up..." over and over and then under-perform the forecast every time.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
0.5" wouldn't be a nuisance. If we were to receive enough rain in the next 10 days to take us out of "drought" status we would be in trouble. It would take many weeks of regular rains to effectively reverse the issues we have. 8" of rain in a week would look good on paper but very little would make it to the subsoil.
Right, I keep telling my wife that .5" is in many ways better than 8". I just can't get her to understand though.

• Funny
Reactions: ABECyguy and NWICY

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Sorry if it came across as cynical, but it gets tiring to hear of "ATMOSPHERIC RIVERS!" and "Some people could pick up..." over and over and then under-perform the forecast every time.

No problem. You are correct, and the reason I didn't post anything a few days ago when weatherstreet was putting almost 3 feet of snow from western into southern Iowa. While the totals have gone down some, and have moved from model to model.....they seem fairly certain something significant is going to happen in and around Iowa the first of next week. Even the NWS in Des Moines has picked up on it.

Of course now watch.........it will be sunny and in the 70's.