***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Hadley is a major upgrade. Really good all around player. He had the highest offensive rating in the entire Pac-12 last season.

Kyle is similar to Ward at this stage in his career but he was only a Sophomore compared to Ward as a 5th year senior. Kyle has the potential to be even better. He has all the physical tools.

I think Dishon will gave us a little more offensively than BRE did but we will miss many of the little things Rob was so good at. His motor was tremendous, he set really good screens, etc.
Agree re: BRE, he will be missed more than people think. He set the tone for the team with his hustle and surprisingly good interior passing.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Is King better defensively? I've never watched Hadley. But King wasn't always in the best position defensively and a little slow footed on the perimeter. Now King was tough as hell and strong. Probably a better interior presence than Hadley.
From his videos, Hadley appears to have small forward skills with his ability to drive and shoot the three.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Oh I agree he would be a great hire. I'm just commenting on the fact that Kentucky fans don't want him.
I don’t understand why Kentucky fans wouldn’t want Drew. He has to be one of the top 5 coaches in the game right now. Unlike Calipari, he knows how to coach. He brings tons of talent to Baylor. Throw him in Lexington and he will be able to get just about any recruit. If Kentucky fans don’t want Drew then they’re dumb.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I don’t understand why Kentucky fans wouldn’t want Drew. He has to be one of the top 5 coaches in the game right now. Unlike Calipari, he knows how to coach. He brings tons of talent to Baylor. Throw him in Lexington and he will be able to get just about any recruit. If Kentucky fans don’t want Drew then they’re dumb.
You are absolutely correct, but I’m not sure his attitude fits Kentucky as much as say a Bruce Pearl, Hurley, etc. They seem to like the more vocal and accessible types than Drew is.

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022
You are absolutely correct, but I’m not sure his attitude fits Kentucky as much as say a Bruce Pearl, Hurley, etc. They seem to like the more vocal and accessible types than Drew is.
This is not a coaching thread. Might be a topic you want to talk about but not in the transfer thread.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones12321

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Eyeballing a bracket...

UConn
Memphis

Auburn
Colorado

Carolina
Michigan State

Iowa State
Dayton
Uconn will likely be breaking in a new starting five (outside of Karaban) if both Clingan and Castle enter the draft. Not sure what kind of transfers and recruiting class they have coming in.

UNC loses Bacot. Not sure if RJ Davis is coming back?

Colorado is turning over their entire roster.

Not sure on the outlook next year for Mich St or Auburn.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is Hadley similar to Brockington? Tough midrange guy who can get to the hoop?
Maybe more similar to Hogue? TBD on the toughness, but similar size, can shoot the 3, but doesn't often, most likely to cut to the rim, post up, etc. He doesn't rebound quite as well as Hogue, but still averages 6+ per game. A better passer than Hogue at 2.5 assists.

Oh, and if that didn't have you excited enough - he shot 84% from the FT line last year. (Note, I've point out in the past that transfers almost always have a drop in FT% the first year in our program - my theory is that it has to do with the physicality of the defense and practices).

Hadley was maybe a good, not great, defender last year. I think he has a better defensive reputation than Gilbert did coming in - but I think like Gilbert he's got ALL the tools to be an A+ defender and will buy into the TJ / KG defensive system and be an absolute stud at that end of the court (similar to Gilbert this year, but at the 3/4)

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Definitely looks like a project piece with high-end potential. Incredible athlete with a strong motor but has a somewhat unpolished game (similar to Ward last year) and has some brutal free throw mechanics
You guys watched a different first round tourney game than I did! I posted in the game thread that I wanted Kyle as a Ward replacement - to me he completely looked the part, he's got all the physical traits, is a great finisher, has a nice mid-range shot, can drive a bit, rebounds pretty good - but mainly has a skillset that is perfect for KG to mold (and seems like a really great kid and a great team chemistry fit)

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Not that you're claiming otherwise, but that's A-OK. There's nowhere to go but down in terms of defense. But this season's team was at least one scoring threat/floor spacer short. The staff seems to have exclusively targeted guys who would be, at the least, slight offensive upgrades across the board, and oh by the way all still seem capable of playing at least decent defense. They jumped from what, in the low 100s in offensive efficiency in '22-'23 to 52? I'm hopeful about a jump next season if they bat 1.000 or close to it in the portal.
We said the same thing last year after replacing Gabe and Holmes with "unproven, and sometimes unwilling, defenders" in Gilbert and Jones. Don't discount the ability TJ and Kyle Green to get guys to buy in and commit on the defensive end - and to know EXACTLY what they are looking for in terms of physical traits

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You guys watched a different first round tourney game than I did! I posted in the game thread that I wanted Kyle as a Ward replacement - to me he completely looked the part, he's got all the physical traits, is a great finisher, has a nice mid-range shot, can drive a bit, rebounds pretty good - but mainly has a skillset that is perfect for KG to mold (and seems like a really great kid and a great team chemistry fit)

I didn't post it, since I was working, but I thought several times that Kyle sounded exactly like a great fit for us. He's just ideal for what we do.

Reactions: Cyclad

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It still amazes me how much better Hogue got as time went on, his senior year he was terrific. Love guys that improve like that while here. Matt Thomas, Naz and yeah, BRE, three more examples.

I hadn't realized that he averaged 8.4 rebounds per game his first year and 4.9 his second year - I assume it had to do with others rebounding better that year (McKay and BDJ)

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Julian Larry from Indiana State in the portal. He's 99.9% just following Schertz to St Louis BUT if you could somehow get a chance to talk to him, he'd be just an outstanding fit in this system.

Crazy quick guard, handles great, shoots well and on the Valley defensive team last year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron