***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
My son - recently a HS athlete - says in his generation, some people would literally avoid "Adidas schools" b/c their stuff is uglier than Nike designs.

I'm sure NIL and playing time are bigger factors in the transfer portal but ugly warm-ups / jam-jams may be a tiny motivator in a decision set. Who knows? But what the young man was wearing in that photo above can't be unseen..

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I noted that Jaden Walker was leaving East Carolina. It'd be hilarious if he ended up with Prohm at Murray State.

(Side note: I sat by one of Jaden's former teachers at the Brooklyn Thanksgiving tournament in TJ's firt year - Ws over Xavier and Memphis - and she had great things to say about the young man).

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think it will be interesting to see How Patrick does on a team with out the fan base destroying him, With out his dad, and just able to play basketball. Probably do pretty well at a mid major with no pressure
I think he has talent and is a unique offensive player. I wouldn’t want him on my team, but that is because he doesn’t fit what we are trying to do (ie defense).

I, too, will be interested to see how he does without being under the shadow of his old man. The kid struggles mentally, which isn’t his fault, and I don’t think the environment he has been in has been good for him at all.

We’ll see, I guess.

Reactions: Drew0311

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It's what makes the transfer portal so interesting. You cant have 13 guys play significant minutes, but with the competitiveness in the portal it's hard to convince someone to come here and be a role player. So it's almost like freshmen are roster fillers at this point. Have them come in, help at practice, and see if you have something there assuming most of them will likely leave.
I think 12 is about the most you can happy. 8 in rotation, 2 getting spot minutes ala Watson and 2 newbys getting their feet wet.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I think he has talent and is a unique offensive player. I wouldn’t want him on my team, but that is because he doesn’t fit what we are trying to do (ie defense).

I, too, will be interested to see how he does without being under the shadow of his old man. The kid struggles mentally, which isn’t his fault, and I don’t think the environment he has been in has been good for him at all.

We’ll see, I guess.
I honestly don't think it's his old man that is the problem. It's the Iowa fans on social media. They destroy the kid. I have never seen one fan base destroy a kid who has not really done anything wrong, as bad as they destroy Patrick. Usually a kid would miss a late game free throw to get the heat he get's. It's crazy.

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
It's amazing how fast a team/school can be changed (wiped out) these days. WSU is just one of many examples. They lost their AD, MBB coach and 4 MBB players so far. Not to mention the loss of a conference too.
I would say the loss of the conference was the most impacting factor. Power 5 players want to play for Power 5 programs. Not to mention ADs and coaching staffs want Power 5 money.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Which blows my kind how a 6'11 guy putting up 11 and 8 on a good team in a solid league doesn't get more respect.
I'd have to guess that high PPG is the first criteria they look at, and then whether said athlete was all league or not. I'm guessing that they don't add any weight to years of eligibility either, but they absolutely should because you're getting more long term value.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron