***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
CC said Tauchman has been our best hitter. OBP +.390. Not his fault the rest of the lineup hasn't produced.

Do you believe everything you hear from coaches?

Tauchman is an OK hitter (.256) and above average top of order guy because he walks a lot, doesn't strike out and sees a lot of pitches. I like Tauchman a lot if there are the right pieces around him, but he's a nice piece not a focal point.

But if the Cubs have the following outfield rotation going into the 2025 season would you be happy? I don't think I would- not much slug.

Happ
PCA
Suzuki
Tauchman

So IMO the Cubs either need to in order:
  1. Re-sign Bellinger
  2. If they can't re-sign Bellinger, sign another top-end FA (.280+ hitter with 25+ HR).
  3. If Caissie, Canario or another MiLB OF prospect is MLB ready coming out of spring training, make them the 4th outfielder
  4. Trade Happ and/or Tauchman if a prospect is ready. Regarding Happ, as he ages is he projected as a 1B?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Do you believe everything you hear from coaches?

Tauchman is an OK hitter (.256) and above average top of order guy because he walks a lot, doesn't strike out and sees a lot of pitches. I like Tauchman a lot if there are the right pieces around him, but he's a nice piece not a focal point.

But if the Cubs have the following outfield rotation going into the 2025 season would you be happy? I don't think I would- not much slug.

Happ
PCA
Suzuki
Tauchman

So IMO the Cubs either need to in order:
  1. Re-sign Bellinger
  2. If they can't re-sign Bellinger, sign another top-end FA (.280+ hitter with 25+ HR).
  3. If Caissie, Canario or another MiLB OF prospect is MLB ready coming out of spring training, make them the 4th outfielder
  4. Trade Happ and/or Tauchman if a prospect is ready. Regarding Happ, as he ages is he projected as a 1B?
I watch basically every game. Tauchman gives you a quality AB basically everytime he steps in the box. Is his ceiling as high as the other guys? Of course not. But a guy that will get on twice in 5 ABs and see 35 pitches makes everyone in the lineup better. If you don't see that this conversation is pointless.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I watch basically every game. Tauchman gives you a quality AB basically everytime he steps in the box. Is his ceiling as high as the other guys? Of course not. But a guy that will get on twice in 5 ABs and see 35 pitches makes everyone in the lineup better. If you don't see that this conversation is pointless.
I don't disagree, Tauchman's been solid. And in 2024 he's a valuable part of the lineup. PCA is learning and will have his ups & downs. And Bellinger gives the Cubs flexibility with their OF rotation because he can also play 1B.

But is Tauchman a big part of the Cubs OF rotation in 2025+? I don't see it. In part because I hope they re-sign Bellinger or replace him with a top level FA OF with slug. AND I hope a prospect like Caissie is ready to be their 4th OF.

The good thing is Tauchman has been solid and other teams will see his value. He's probably an easier trade piece than Happ (unforturnately). Like you said- high on base and cheap. Hopefully, Hoyer can leverage Tauchman's solid play into a quality trade piece.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't disagree, Tauchman's been solid. And in 2024 he's a valuable part of the lineup. PCA is learning and will have his ups & downs. And Bellinger gives the Cubs flexibility with their OF rotation because he can also play 1B.

But is Tauchman a big part of the Cubs OF rotation in 2025+? I don't see it. In part because I hope they re-sign Bellinger or replace him with a top level FA OF with slug. AND I hope a prospect like Caissie is ready to be their 4th OF.

The good thing is Tauchman has been solid and other teams will see his value. He's probably an easier trade piece than Happ (unforturnately). Like you said- high on base and cheap. Hopefully, Hoyer can leverage Tauchman's solid play into a quality trade piece.
Honestly he could be. But most likely he's a 4th OF that DH a lot. They used to call guys like him a professional hitter. Looking at the farm I'd say Davis is the only guy that could displace him as the 4th OF. Caissie and Alcantara won't be up till they are regular starters.

I think Bellinger gets signed long-term this offseason. He's a centerpiece which we badly need. Happ has been a league average guy when he's on which is hit and miss. We're better with Bellinger in right. Suzuki Honestly may evolve into a primary DH, part time OF. Tauchman is a very solid stop gap till Caissie or Alcantara emerge. Happ is an average OF for a small market team.

This is how I see him departing in the offseason.
He's owed 40mil over next two. Cubs rework give him 10 upfront then he agrees to go home to Pittsburgh at 15 per with a 2026 opt out.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Chances are pretty good that Tauchman turns back into a pumpkin but you ride this as long as it lasts.
He was pretty good last year too. Reports were when he came back from Korea he was a different player.

He could drop off but the way he approaches he's less likely to fail.

I'm not saying he's the type you build a team around but he is the type of guy you insert around the guys you build the team around.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Honestly he could be. But most likely he's a 4th OF that DH a lot. They used to call guys like him a professional hitter. Looking at the farm I'd say Davis is the only guy that could displace him as the 4th OF. Caissie and Alcantara won't be up till they are regular starters.

I think Bellinger gets signed long-term this offseason. He's a centerpiece which we badly need. Happ has been a league average guy when he's on which is hit and miss. We're better with Bellinger in right. Suzuki Honestly may evolve into a primary DH, part time OF. Tauchman is a very solid stop gap till Caissie or Alcantara emerge. Happ is an average OF for a small market team.

This is how I see him departing in the offseason.
He's owed 40mil over next two. Cubs rework give him 10 upfront then he agrees to go home to Pittsburgh at 15 per with a 2026 opt out.

I agree. The Cubs will find a way to trade Happ this off-season. Eating a big part of Happ's contract isn't a big deal when they have a bunch of other dead money falling off.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Two takeaways from tonight

- Steele has been nothing short of horrible in his two starts against a bottom 5 offense in the league. He HAS to figure it out.

- Even the worst playoff team in the history of the sport wouldn’t have Mastrobouni/Wisdom/Tauchman as their 3 hitters in the bottom of the 9th.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Two takeaways from tonight

- Steele has been nothing short of horrible in his two starts against a bottom 5 offense in the league. He HAS to figure it out.

- Even the worst playoff team in the history of the sport wouldn’t have Mastrobouni/Wisdom/Tauchman as their 3 hitters in the bottom of the 9th.
Yea tough situation, but pretty limited options. Counsell could have led off PCA, but my guess he felt Mastrobuoni had better shot against Bedard's action. Plus if Cubs were fortunate to tie game, the infield would have been interesting.

Hope Nico's back tomorrow.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
7,8,9 is a mess, but getting Swanson and Hoerner back will lessen that a bit. Catcher is not going to get fixed without a trade. Gomes masked this last year with a surprise year. Our catchers are 7/52 currently in May.

The bigger problem is in the middle of the order.
OPS Morel. 700, Happ .651. Honestly Morel needs to bat 6th or 7th. Happ well we've covered that enough.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yea tough situation, but pretty limited options. Counsell could have led off PCA, but my guess he felt Mastrobuoni had better shot against Bedard's action. Plus if Cubs were fortunate to tie game, the infield would have been interesting.

Hope Nico's back tomorrow.
Probably would of saw Happ at 2nd or i guess Morel 2nd, Wisdom 3rd.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
0-8 in Steele's last 8 starts. Not really concerned long-term but with limited repertoire i don't think he's necessarily a top of the rotation guy we anticipated. He'll get sharper I'm sure but I think teams have a blue print to attack a 2 pitch starter that only throws mid 90s.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
0-8 in Steele's last 8 starts. Not really concerned long-term but with limited repertoire i don't think he's necessarily a top of the rotation guy we anticipated. He'll get sharper I'm sure but I think teams have a blue print to attack a 2 pitch starter that only throws mid 90s.
Steele doesn’t throw mid 90‘s, more like low 90’s

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Go back and look at play by play on ESPN game log. It was between 91-94. I call that low 90’s. Mid 90’s is more like 93-96 MPH
Why???
It just further proves the point that a 2 pitch starter without heat basically has to be perfect. Marquee announcers commented he was hitting 94, 95 if their gun is different who cares? Really no need to fixate on a tick or two. Point is he has to win with location.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Why???
It just further proves the point that a 2 pitch starter without heat basically has to be perfect. Marquee announcers commented he was hitting 94, 95 if their gun is different who cares? Really no need to fixate on a tick or two. Point is he has to win with location.
The movement on his fastball is off or the league is getting used to it. I was always wondering why MLB hitters had hard time hitting his fastball last year.