***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The one thing keeping me optimistic about this **** show is you get the three starters back and Merryweather in July and this entire bullpen looks different.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This FO's commitment to trying to pull relievers off the trash heap is truly unrivaled. Invest in some god **** bullpen arms. Where the **** do we find these guys?

• Winner
Reactions: cyguy9320

CycloneT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 14, 2017
Got to move Ben Brown to closer at this point. 12 of the 13 losses are either the pen or Kyle Hendricks

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Wow this bullpen pitches so erratically. How can Counsell have any confidence in these guys when Palencia looks like he can strike out anyone one inning, and then completely craters the next?
Dude throws 101, maybe he isn't a multi inning guy.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Dude throws 101, maybe he isn't a multi inning guy.
Really my only knock on Counsell so far from the entire season standpoint. 2 of Alzolays 4 blown saves came after he had already thrown in the 8th.

There are multi-inning relievers and there are not multi-inning relievers. I would argue Adbert, MJL, Palencia, and Almonte are guys on our roster that should not ever throw in an inning and then come back out.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
3-4 on a tough trip. Take it and get ready to beat the Brewers this weekend.
Amen. This team is obviously banged up and has played quite poorly for a while. To be in the position it’s in is very encouraging. More guys will drive the ball more consistently than they have, and I really believe the bullpen works itself out eventually. Call me a sunshine pumper if you want.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Really my only knock on Counsell so far from the entire season standpoint. 2 of Alzolays 4 blown saves came after he had already thrown in the 8th.

There are multi-inning relievers and there are not multi-inning relievers. I would argue Adbert, MJL, Palencia, and Almonte are guys on our roster that should not ever throw in an inning and then come back out.
I'm going to give Counsell benefit of the doubt that he's trying to figure out what he has. Not ideal during the season, but really only way a new manager can figure out guys strengths/weaknesses in big league situations.

In the case of guys like Lovelady, Brewer, Thompson, Wisdom, etc. he's giving them a legit chance to prove themselves in case it comes to DFAing a guy.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Amen. This team is obviously banged up and has played quite poorly for a while. To be in the position it’s in is very encouraging. More guys will drive the ball more consistently than they have, and I really believe the bullpen works itself out eventually. Call me a sunshine pumper if you want.
sunshine-pumping.gif

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Turns out 85 without elite placement is just batting practice. Although strangely those numbers aren't bad.
It’s ******* double a. Basically a bunch of high schoolers and college kids

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
To be fair, Steele had a statistically worse outing but management felt good about that outing. Entirely possible Hendricks got out of it what he was looking for

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Steele was just getting work in. There was zero scouting and he was just throwing what he wanted to throw.

I don't know if that was the case for Hendricks.