***Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think Tuchman sticks around next year as insurance in CF for PCA. But I agree too many hot prospects coming for him to be there long term.
I don't think he has any options left so they'd have to DFA him if they want to send him back to Iowa this season at any point so I'm not so sure he's even around at the end if the season to be honest. As for Mastrobouni and Rios neither belong on the big league roster and while Madrigal isn't anything great either he's better than both of them. I was surprised Tauchman got called up over Velazquez when Bellinger went on the IL because they had to add him to the 40 man to bring him up.

Going to the Iowa Cubs game Sunday and hope to see some guys I recognize playing. Reading today about Wesneski called up to use out of the bullpen for now and apparently Ross says they may have to look at bringing up some of the young starters to fix the bullpen possibly. Sounds like Ben Brown could be one of those guys possibly too if they need to go there. They already moved Placencia to the pen and Huerer should be back soon so would not be surprised to see some guys sent to Iowa or even DFA if needed to make room for new arms in the bullpen if it continues to be an issue.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't think he has any options left so they'd have to DFA him if they want to send him back to Iowa this season at any point so I'm not so sure he's even around at the end if the season to be honest. As for Mastrobouni and Rios neither belong on the big league roster and while Madrigal isn't anything great either he's better than both of them. I was surprised Tauchman got called up over Velazquez when Bellinger went on the IL because they had to add him to the 40 man to bring him up.

Going to the Iowa Cubs game Sunday and hope to see some guys I recognize playing. Reading today about Wesneski called up to use out of the bullpen for now and apparently Ross says they may have to look at bringing up some of the young starters to fix the bullpen possibly. Sounds like Ben Brown could be one of those guys possibly too if they need to go there. They already moved Placencia to the pen and Huerer should be back soon so would not be surprised to see some guys sent to Iowa or even DFA if needed to make room for new arms in the bullpen if it continues to be an issue.
Tuchman looks better in CF then Velasquez. I bet they break spring training next year with PCA in Iowa. Seems to be our MO. Velasquez probably isn't long term either.

Canario is an absolute beast at the plate when he gets back to healthy. Davis seems to be back on track. Then you have Cassie and the Jaguar still in the pipeline. Just so much talent for only three spots.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Tuchman looks better in CF then Velasquez. I bet they break spring training next year with PCA in Iowa. Seems to be our MO. Velasquez probably isn't long term either.

Canario is an absolute beast at the plate when he gets back to healthy. Davis seems to be back on track. Then you have Cassie and the Jaguar still in the pipeline. Just so much talent for only three spots.

There is a glut of OF in the farm system right now so I would not be surprised to see some of them traded at some point to fill some other needs. I highly doubt PCA will be one that is traded but Davis and Valazquez are 2 I think could be traded and not hurt the depth at the position. I could see teams ask for Canario too who I think is the 2nd best OF in the system behind PCA so could be some tough decisions coming at some point when all these guys are at the point of being ready for a call up but not enough open spots to play them every day.

Tauchman is already 32 I'm not certain he stays with the big league team even through this season as he doesn't have minor league options so either they are going to commit to him being the backup OF for the remainder of the year or have to DFA him when they need to make a roster move involving him. Not really concerned with what happens with him because he's not going to be part of the long term picture.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Here's a take on ESPN Jeff Passan's article: A Very Early Trade Deadline Preview Has the Chicago Cubs As Pro-ssibly Sellers (bleachernation.com) Tommy Birch touched on this a little yesterday on KXNO too. Would not be surprised if the Cubs look to trade Stroman, Bellinger, and Hendricks at the deadline as this current team even if they were to get hot and get back into playoff contention is not built to have a long run if they make it. Cubs have too much young pitching coming up through the system right now they likely will not commit money to keep Stroman so it would be in their best interest to get what they can for these guys an not let them walk for nothing. Cubs are likely looking at 1-2 years down the road when their top prospects like PCA are ready to go all in on a team that can make a deep playoff run so in the meantime anyone that isn't in the plans to be part of that group may be on the trade block.

Especially if they are going to be serious bidders for Ohtani this offseason stocking the farm system with a few more prospects would not hurt. Whoever signs him will have to commit to some serious $ but in the Cubs situation you look at the potential rotation next year and you already have Steele, Taillon, and Smyly and plenty of young guys to give a look at the backend like Wesneski, Ben Brown, and Killian if you do sign an ace for the rotation. I'm not too attached to guys on this roster with short term contracts as I've always viewed them as stop gap players or trade chips so would not be upset if they did trade Stroman for a fair return. Not sure he's a good use of payroll to sign to a longer deal when he's already 32.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Here's a take on ESPN Jeff Passan's article: A Very Early Trade Deadline Preview Has the Chicago Cubs As Pro-ssibly Sellers (bleachernation.com) Tommy Birch touched on this a little yesterday on KXNO too. Would not be surprised if the Cubs look to trade Stroman, Bellinger, and Hendricks at the deadline as this current team even if they were to get hot and get back into playoff contention is not built to have a long run if they make it. Cubs have too much young pitching coming up through the system right now they likely will not commit money to keep Stroman so it would be in their best interest to get what they can for these guys an not let them walk for nothing. Cubs are likely looking at 1-2 years down the road when their top prospects like PCA are ready to go all in on a team that can make a deep playoff run so in the meantime anyone that isn't in the plans to be part of that group may be on the trade block.

Especially if they are going to be serious bidders for Ohtani this offseason stocking the farm system with a few more prospects would not hurt. Whoever signs him will have to commit to some serious $ but in the Cubs situation you look at the potential rotation next year and you already have Steele, Taillon, and Smyly and plenty of young guys to give a look at the backend like Wesneski, Ben Brown, and Killian if you do sign an ace for the rotation. I'm not too attached to guys on this roster with short term contracts as I've always viewed them as stop gap players or trade chips so would not be upset if they did trade Stroman for a fair return. Not sure he's a good use of payroll to sign to a longer deal when he's already 32.
Tired of this ****, at some point you have to actually put a team together and win instead of selling your 3 best players every year, then hoping the prospects you get back will be good in 4 years. It's setting up right now to look like and endless cycle.

They aren't even getting top prospects from these trades so who's to say Canario, PCA, etc will be any better and we'll be good again? Mervis already looks like a bust, something I predicted last year when I saw him at Iowa a few games.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Tired of this ****, at some point you have to actually put a team together and win instead of selling your 3 best players every year, then hoping the prospects you get back will be good in 4 years. It's setting up right now to look like and endless cycle.

They aren't even getting top prospects from these trades so who's to say Canario, PCA, etc will be any better and we'll be good again? Mervis already looks like a bust, something I predicted last year when I saw him at Iowa a few games.

1. This team is not going to win anything this year, making the playoffs could be a stretch given how they have played lately. The bullpen is a mess and not worth trading good young players just to patch it up for a short lived run if they make the playoffs
2. They have gotten some decent pitching prospects back in these trades. Killian came with Canario in the Bryant trade, Ben Brown was the return from David Robertson last year, and Wesneski was acquired from the Scott Effross trade. Those may not be "ace" caliber pitchers but they are still young and developing and good returns in those trades so far and could be a part of the rotation going forward.
3. You aren't going to win every trade you make but the sell off in 2021 we are seeing several of those players produce in the minors and even some knocking on the door or already getting a taste of the big leagues. So far I think they did pretty good getting talent back for guys that were rental players and not guys the Cubs were willing to pay top dollar for. Can you imagine the mess they'd be in today if they had signed Rizzo Baez and Bryant to expensive long term deals?
4. Too early to call Mervis a bust and they signed him as a non-drafted free agent so the fact he's killed minor league pitching and is getting a shot in the big leagues now says something. Even if he does bust they didn't trade anything away to acquire him
5. The Cubs aren't going to resign Stroman, Bellinger, and Hendricks so you want them to just keep them all season, trade away guys in the farm system for some short term help, and try to make a wild card spot then let those 3 guys go for nothing in the offseason? This would not be a full sell off like the 2021 this would be more like 2014 when they traded Samardzija and Hammel to the A's and got Addison Russell. The Cubs were halfway competitive that year but not good enough to make a playoff push and had some guys they weren't going to be keeping around when they built that 2016 WS team. The 2014 team finished 73-89 and some fans weren't happy with that trade initially but Russell was a big part of that 2016 success before all the issues happened with him.

There are going to be options to land an ace for the rotation this offseason or even a solid top half of the rotation guy at worst. This is the UFA class this offseason: 2024 MLB Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac and there are others that have some kind of option that could be available too if you adjust the filters. I just don't see a reason why the Cubs can't be selective sellers this year and still keep the core part of the roster intact to add to this offseason and as top prospects make their way to Chicago. Things could be much worse, look at the mess Oakland is in right now for instance. They are nowhere near being competitive anytime soon and are on pace to have one of the worst seasons in MLB history.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
1. This team is not going to win anything this year, making the playoffs could be a stretch given how they have played lately. The bullpen is a mess and not worth trading good young players just to patch it up for a short lived run if they make the playoffs
2. They have gotten some decent pitching prospects back in these trades. Killian came with Canario in the Bryant trade, Ben Brown was the return from David Robertson last year, and Wesneski was acquired from the Scott Effross trade. Those may not be "ace" caliber pitchers but they are still young and developing and good returns in those trades so far and could be a part of the rotation going forward.
3. You aren't going to win every trade you make but the sell off in 2021 we are seeing several of those players produce in the minors and even some knocking on the door or already getting a taste of the big leagues. So far I think they did pretty good getting talent back for guys that were rental players and not guys the Cubs were willing to pay top dollar for. Can you imagine the mess they'd be in today if they had signed Rizzo Baez and Bryant to expensive long term deals?
4. Too early to call Mervis a bust and they signed him as a non-drafted free agent so the fact he's killed minor league pitching and is getting a shot in the big leagues now says something. Even if he does bust they didn't trade anything away to acquire him
5. The Cubs aren't going to resign Stroman, Bellinger, and Hendricks so you want them to just keep them all season, trade away guys in the farm system for some short term help, and try to make a wild card spot then let those 3 guys go for nothing in the offseason? This would not be a full sell off like the 2021 this would be more like 2014 when they traded Samardzija and Hammel to the A's and got Addison Russell. The Cubs were halfway competitive that year but not good enough to make a playoff push and had some guys they weren't going to be keeping around when they built that 2016 WS team. The 2014 team finished 73-89 and some fans weren't happy with that trade initially but Russell was a big part of that 2016 success before all the issues happened with him.

There are going to be options to land an ace for the rotation this offseason or even a solid top half of the rotation guy at worst. This is the UFA class this offseason: 2024 MLB Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac and there are others that have some kind of option that could be available too if you adjust the filters. I just don't see a reason why the Cubs can't be selective sellers this year and still keep the core part of the roster intact to add to this offseason and as top prospects make their way to Chicago. Things could be much worse, look at the mess Oakland is in right now for instance. They are nowhere near being competitive anytime soon and are on pace to have one of the worst seasons in MLB history.
They need to resign Stroman and Bellinger for starters. I'm tired of a huge market team acting like the Ray's.
I feel like we are right back to the Jim Hendry, McFail days where they do just enough to keep droves up people showing up to Wrigley, but aren't serious about winning either.

No reason the Cubs can't be like Houston or LA right now.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
They need to resign Stroman and Bellinger for starters. I'm tired of a huge market team acting like the Ray's.
I feel like we are right back to the Jim Hendry, McFail days where they do just enough to keep droves up people showing up to Wrigley, but aren't serious about winning either.

No reason the Cubs can't be like Houston or LA right now.
I guess we can agree to partially disagree. I think they are on the right track building this for longer term and sustainable success and right now is just that awkward stage of showing signs of improvement but still missing some pieces to bring it all together. As fans we obviously grow impatient. Hendry used to just overpay for veteran free agents that were washed up and were busts for the Cubs and failed to build a good minor league system so don't see that as the path we are on. With the contracts coming off the books after this season the Cubs have no excuse not to be major players in the free agent market IMO to plug in some of these holes such as a top of the rotation pitcher and a proven bat for the middle of the lineup.

This is why I hope they are serious bidders for Ohtani as he would fill both those needs with 1 signing and just 1 roster space too. If they don't get him then they better be in on the next biggest names else I will be joining you with the calls to start acting like a big market team. They were in on the SS market last offseason and committed significant money to Swanson so there are signs that they can spend when they want to. I don't see a need for Bellinger unless you move him to 1B and give up on Mervis because PCA is the future at CF and there is a logjam of other OF prospects in the system too that you have to find a spot to play them or move them in a trade for another need. I think 3B is a sore spot right now too and I don't know how they plan to solve that position either. Stroman is not an Ace and probably will command more money than the Cubs should spend especially if they want to sign Ohtani which is why I think you trade him at the deadline because he's already 32 so probably won't get this kind of production out of him for too much longer. If they hadn't spent the money on Taillon then I'd probably be in for trying to retain him but I don't see the point when you have multiple young pitchers in the system that we'll likely see get some chances to start later this season in Chicago. If you really want Stroman back could still trade him at the deadline then go after him again in free agency as he is going to opt out of his contract although rarely do you see that ever happen when you trade a guy.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Went to the I-Cubs game yesterday and Keegan Thompson had a brutal appearance out of the bullpen. in 1.2 innings gave up 1 hit, 2 ER, 5 walks, 4 strikeouts. Command was not good at all, not sure what has happened to this kid as he was so good at times in Chicago last year especially out of the bullpen.

Madrigal played pretty well with the glove at 3B I thought, had a couple nice picks and went 1-2 at the plate with 3 walks. Brennan Davis threw a guy out at home on a nice throw from RF and had another laser from RF on a pop fly tag up from 3B that wasn't on target to make a play at home but was still on a rope.

Unfortunately didn't get to see any of the pitchers like Brown Killian or Perlaza as they all pitched recently and of the 5 I did see none looked like they would be able to help out the bullpen mess in Chicago any time soon. Nice day for David Bote going 3-3 and a couple walks but don't see him getting a call up this year since he's no longer on the 40 man and would need some injuries to have a need for another bench infielder.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Went to the I-Cubs game yesterday and Keegan Thompson had a brutal appearance out of the bullpen. in 1.2 innings gave up 1 hit, 2 ER, 5 walks, 4 strikeouts. Command was not good at all, not sure what has happened to this kid as he was so good at times in Chicago last year especially out of the bullpen.

Madrigal played pretty well with the glove at 3B I thought, had a couple nice picks and went 1-2 at the plate with 3 walks. Brennan Davis threw a guy out at home on a nice throw from RF and had another laser from RF on a pop fly tag up from 3B that wasn't on target to make a play at home but was still on a rope.

Unfortunately didn't get to see any of the pitchers like Brown Killian or Perlaza as they all pitched recently and of the 5 I did see none looked like they would be able to help out the bullpen mess in Chicago any time soon. Nice day for David Bote going 3-3 and a couple walks but don't see him getting a call up this year since he's no longer on the 40 man and would need some injuries to have a need for another bench infielder.
Wait. Madrigal walked THREE TIMES!?!?!?

If he'd do that in the bigs, he'd be a valuable piece that is actually playable. His approach that is constant weak contact isn't a major league bat.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wait. Madrigal walked THREE TIMES!?!?!?

If he'd do that in the bigs, he'd be a valuable piece that is actually playable. His approach that is constant weak contact isn't a major league bat.

Seems like he's hitting AAA pitching pretty well so far. Only 27 AB so far but he even has a HR too! If he can keep making consistent contact and get on base I'd gladly replace Rios and his .071 batting average. Wisdom has really cooled off lately too, just 4 HR and a .162 BA with 31 strikeouts in the month of May and already in 2 June games is just 1-8 with 4 strikeouts. Platooning Madrigal at 3B can't be any worse than what those 2 have been doing. I know some here have a real hard on for Wisdom because he gets on his hot streaks and hits some massive homers but he's been an all or nothing hitter with a career .216 batting average and a lot of strikeouts so I've never been too high on him, especially don't see much of a role for him going forward either if the goal is to get away from these players that chase bad pitches and strike out a lot. Not saying Madrigal is the solution either but if he can get on base and get some consistent contact he's a better option than Wisdom and Rios as neither are getting on base much.

Nick Madrigal Stats, Fantasy & News | MiLB.com

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Seems like he's hitting AAA pitching pretty well so far. Only 27 AB so far but he even has a HR too! If he can keep making consistent contact and get on base I'd gladly replace Rios and his .071 batting average. Wisdom has really cooled off lately too, just 4 HR and a .162 BA with 31 strikeouts in the month of May and already in 2 June games is just 1-8 with 4 strikeouts. Platooning Madrigal at 3B can't be any worse than what those 2 have been doing. I know some here have a real hard on for Wisdom because he gets on his hot streaks and hits some massive homers but he's been an all or nothing hitter with a career .216 batting average and a lot of strikeouts so I've never been too high on him, especially don't see much of a role for him going forward either if the goal is to get away from these players that chase bad pitches and strike out a lot. Not saying Madrigal is the solution either but if he can get on base and get some consistent contact he's a better option than Wisdom and Rios as neither are getting on base much.

Nick Madrigal Stats, Fantasy & News | MiLB.com
An everyday lineup ofMadrigal at 3rd and Mervis at 1st would struggle to win a AAA game. They average 1 home run per every 80 at bats at two of the premier power spots.

Far cry from the Rizzo/Bryant days.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
An everyday lineup ofMadrigal at 3rd and Mervis at 1st would struggle to win a AAA game. They average 1 home run per every 80 at bats at two of the premier power spots.

Far cry from the Rizzo/Bryant days.

Where did I say Madrigal should play everyday? I said he would be a lot better platoon option than Rios would while also pointing out how bad Wisdom has been the past month. 3B is a big hole for the Cubs right now with no in-house solution currently. Eventually need to address it long term either with a trade or free agent signing.

I haven't given up on Mervis as this is his first taste of the big leagues but if he doesn't start hitting soon he probably needs to go back to Iowa for some regular playing time to get some confidence at the plate again. Not saying that he is the next Rizzo but Rizzo's first stint in the big leagues with San Diego was nothing too great either. In 49 games and 153 plate appearances he hit .141 with just 1 homer 9 RBI and 46 strike outs. Mervis hit a combined 36 homers and .309 batting average at 3 different minor league levels last season and another 6 at Iowa in 24 games before his call up. I doubt he's just all the sudden lost his power. Probably will need to be sent back to Iowa at some point and work on some adjustments now that he's got a taste of big league pitching then see how he responds.

Rizzo is probably one of my all-time favorite Cubs and I wish they had found a way to keep him around as even with his back issues he is still a serviceable 1B and a leader in the clubhouse. Wasn't sad to see Bryant go, he's been hurt a lot and not worth the kind of contract he got which actually probably was much less than he thought he was going to get after how his career started. We knew the moment the Cubs messed with his service time by waiting to bring him up shortly after the season started his rookie year plus being a Boras client that he wasn't going to be a Cub forever. Got an MVP season out of him in 2016 and to date that still is probably his best season.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think it's starting to look like the Cubs will be sellers not buyers after this recent stretch and they have a tough stretch of games against teams with winning records (Giants, Pirates, Orioles, Pirates again before 2 with the Cardinals then have 3 games with Philly to close out June. Currently 7.5 games back from the devision and 10 games under .500, and unless they figure something out in a hurry will probably be at least 10 back by end of June.

Pitching staff just walks too many guys to be competitive enough and still some big holes in the roster where they can't string together some consistent hitting. Probably need to shift the focus more on development of players that can contribute next year like moving on from Barnhart and keeping Amaya up for the rest of the season to get some work catching a big league pitching staff or I would not be surprised if Gomes gets packaged with a pitcher in a trade either. If they have no intent to extend Stroman or Bellinger they probably are your biggest trade chips so I will not be shocked to see them traded by the deadline along with Hendricks too if he stays healthy and pitches decent. I know some here love those 2 guys but reality is the best long term strategy with them is if you don't/can't extend them you have to cash in on some assets at the trade deadline. Stroman is pitching so well right now he surely could net a decent haul especially if the Cubs agree to pick up a good chunk of his salary for this season.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
A franchise with these kind of resources shouldn't be stuck in the never-ending cycle of having to unload anything of value every July.

How terrible is this team going to be (again) after Stroman, Bellinger, Hendricks, Gomes and anybody else they can get a lottery ticket for is gone?

Jed has to go.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
A franchise with these kind of resources shouldn't be stuck in the never-ending cycle of having to unload anything of value every July.

How terrible is this team going to be (again) after Stroman, Bellinger, Hendricks, Gomes and anybody else they can get a lottery ticket for is gone?

Jed has to go.

I agree but writing is on the wall, if you can't/don't/won't extend them you don't let them walk for nothing either. With all the payroll coming off the books this offseason it's time to spend on some needs and if they don't Hoyer needs to go.

Stroman 25 mil as he will not opt into the 21 mil option for 2024
Hendricks 14 mil - 16 mil club option won't be picked up
Gomes has a 6 mil club option
Bellinger has a 12 mil mutual option I doubt he picks up so there is 17.5 off the books after his buyout
Mancini has a 7 mil player option he probably picks up given his season so far
Fulmer 4 mil
Barnhart has a 3.25 player option
Boxberger has a 5 mil mutual option I doubt they pick up
Current dead money: Heyward 22 mil (5 mil deferred payouts through 2027 though) Torrens 225k, Hosmer 197k

Factor in some small contracts if they don't offer arbitration to some guys and they could recoup a few mil more there with some cheap arbitration eligible guys they may just cut bait with like Rios, Sampson, etc and they realistically could shed over $80 mil in payroll. Would sure hope with that kind of money freed up they would make a run at some of the top guys this offseason to fill some of the needs. There are only 5 guys on this roster they have long term contracts that run into 2026 and no one that doesn't at least have some kind of arbitration or team control through then too but Steele will get more pricey as he goes through arbitration so he could be a candidate for an extension at some point but he's still under team control through 2027.

Trying to look at the long game here as I don't see a short term fix for this year for obvious reasons.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Jed has to go.
Yeah, I'm done with Ross and Jed, 3 straight years of this with no end in sight.

We have Wisdom with 77 K's in only 178 at bats, then the savior Mervis who is a AAAA player is batting .176.

This roster is a total disaster.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Trying to look at the long game here as I don't see a short term fix for this year for obvious reasons.
I dont know what the long game here is either. The main problem is I still don't think they have a very good farm system. At least not in comparison to where they were at during the 2014 rebuild.

PCA is currently ranked 15th, but after that you have to go all the way down in the 70s for Alcantara. Meanwhile you have teams like the Orioles who are already good have 4 guys in the Top 50 who haven't even played in the majors yet.

This

I said this 2 years ago, there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't have the top minor league system right now with all the talent they gave away the last 2 years.

I think the offense is serviceable but there are huge black holes right now at 1st and 3rd, two of the most important power positions.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My preference would be Jed goes before Ross but it’s hard to hire a GM and force him to keep the manager. Jed’s been a colossal failure sans PCA and I’m not sure I can blame roster for the hot steaming pile of **** they keep handing him.

Hopefully we can find a valuable piece for Bellinger in July.

Reactions: CYdTracked