***Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Thread***

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Great day for a ballgame it appears. Guessing they won't play today:

Rain and snow showers likely, mainly before 3pm. Cloudy, with a steady temperature around 39. Breezy, with a west southwest wind around 25 mph becoming north northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Great day for a ballgame it appears. Guessing they won't play today:

Rain and snow showers likely, mainly before 3pm. Cloudy, with a steady temperature around 39. Breezy, with a west southwest wind around 25 mph becoming north northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
They should have scheduled it in Milwaukee. Instead we have 9 of the first 12 games in Chicago which is pretty much still winter right now, along with a trip to Cincinnati which isn't much better.

The scheduling makes no sense.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
That I Cubs roster full of good prospects up and own the line up, Mervis seems to be on a good track if he keeps mashing, especially if Hosmer struggles. But Morel, Nelson V, Slaughter and once Canario gets healthy, he’s in the mix and don’t sleep on Caleb Killian, if he gets going on the mound and finds his velo and limits walks, he’s brings great depth options for Chicago’s rotation.

Should be fun in Des Moines. I won’t say it was similar to 2013/2014, because we had top level studs in Javy and KB and Soler, but the quality is there.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Mervis and Morel will be the first ones up if there is an injury or someone struggles. The most exciting part this summer will be if PCA gets promoted from AA to AAA which likely would be in June if he rakes in AA. Even if they are shuffling guys up and down from Iowa and Chicago lot of depth on the roster there should be someone exciting to watch all season.

• Agree
Reactions: larrysarmy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Mervis and Morel will be the first ones up if there is an injury or someone struggles. The most exciting part this summer will be if PCA gets promoted from AA to AAA which likely would be in June if he rakes in AA. Even if they are shuffling guys up and down from Iowa and Chicago lot of depth on the roster there should be someone exciting to watch all season.
Excited about 2023 but 2024 may be the start of a very special run.

Spend 60 mil on Ohtani.
Barnhart
Mervis
Hoerner
Dansby
See what works out at 3B
Davis/Canario LF
PCA
Suzuki

Yes, I think we may trade Happ even if we're in the hunt. Lot of young talent and Happ going to get around 30 mil. Spend it on our future Ace/DH.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Excited about 2023 but 2024 may be the start of a very special run.

Spend 60 mil on Ohtani.
Barnhart
Mervis
Hoerner
Dansby
See what works out at 3B
Davis/Canario LF
PCA
Suzuki

Yes, I think we may trade Happ even if we're in the hunt. Lot of young talent and Happ going to get around 30 mil. Spend it on our future Ace/DH.
I really hope they go all in for Ohtani. Filling 2 roster spots with 1 player who is a generational talent. Would immediately become their best pitcher and hitter and after seeing what the top end guys get its not a crazy number if you were to invest in an ace and top tier hitter. May be wishful thinking but I hope they are in the mix for him. If money is an issue can clear some by trading Stroman and they do have both Hendricks and Heywards contracts coming off the books too at end of the year. I don't think they extend Happ either, he's a good player but they may have better players than him coming up soon and need the roster spots to accommodate them plus they will not be as expensive on rookie contracts too.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
And we have a 3 game losing streak....

Smyly had multiple leads and couldn't hold it either time.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
And we have a 3 game losing streak....

Smyly had multiple leads and couldn't hold it either time.
Brutal, should went to Thompson sooner. I know it’s early, but the Cubs need to make hay against Cincy and the Pirates early to avoid being sellers again, the schedule in April and May is pretty tough.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Finally got some offense last night I see. Pitching seems to be a little shaky so far but its too early to get worried about it until we get a few times through the rotation. Stroman and Steele had good starts, Smyly, Taillon and Wesneski not so much. Of those 3 Smyly probably concerns me the most if he starts to have multiple bad outings as he wasn't good in spring training either. Bullpen will figure itself out I'm sure, can't read too much into guy's 1st or 2nd outings right now.

I think offensively we kind of knew coming in that this is not a team that is going to consistently put a bunch of runs up and will struggle when the matchup is bad. And the hitting really drops off in quality in the last 3 or 4 spots in the order most games too with the lineups Ross is currently putting out there. Its early but good to see Swanson off to a hot start after not hitting much in spring training.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron