MLB: ***Official 2021 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Trotting out the same dudes hoping for different results, take 5.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Will be an interesting season. We will see if there is a sell-off come July or so.

Also a nice expected 37 degrees at the Opener today.

thejoeldozer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 14, 2017
I cannot wait to see what Joc will do. I have high hopes for him! The rest of the team... not so much

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I cannot wait to see what Joc will do. I have high hopes for him! The rest of the team... not so much

Sadly I think the best case scenario for the Cubs is Joc plays very well and we unload him by the trade deadline for some prospects. I imagine Cubs fans will get to like him just in time for them to promptly deal him at the deadline.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
With capacity already limited I think you should be allowed to assemble your own ice fishing shack in the bleachers.
Yeah, I kind of wonder why they didnt just postpone today when they have an off day tomorrow and the temp. Is suppose to be in the 50's?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yeah, I kind of wonder why they didnt just postpone today when they have an off day tomorrow and the temp. Is suppose to be in the 50's?

Ricketts put down a non-refundable downpayment on the heater for the dugout is my guess. Gotta pinch those pennies where you can.

Reactions: BigJCy

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Just glad to have baseball back on the radio. After that, I can’t wait to see KB suck some more.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Really hope KB is able to bounce back and at least be a top ten 3B. I think Javy, Happ, and Contreras have nice years. Rizz will be Rizz.

Pitching staff, especially the bullpen, will be pretty rough.

All in all I’m not very optimistic but Opening Day is always exciting and I will watch this season until we’re out of it

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
Seems like I may be one of the few, but I am fairly optimistic about this team. We have some dudes out there that underperformed during a weird year last season and won the division. This team will be in the hunt for the Central title.

The only thing that sucks is that the NL is very top heavy with LAD, SD, ATL and potentially the NYM. Just get to Oct and you never know things could get weird.

Reactions: Rabbuk

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm excited to see the team's likely final run. Plenty of really good players that made excellent memories on this team.

Not looking forward to the trade deadline destruction. I don't trust current management to do the wheeling and dealing that they'll think they're doing. They played their hand too early in terms of their unwillingness to build this team.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
at this point, I am just waiting for the Cubs to sell off their core pieces for a bucket of baseballs. It is still good to have some baseball back especially after how the basketball season went.

One benefit from working from home now is that I can have the radio to listen to Pat and Ron while working.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Our 3 highest ceiling guys are in contract years and Joc has been on a damn tear in ST.

I’m feeling better about this year than I have the last 2-3.

That being said, I think it’s the Last Dance 2.0. I’m hoping KB, Rizzo, and Baez play well enough that it’ll be impossible to keep all 3.

The lineup is salty. No real holes.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Our 3 highest ceiling guys are in contract years and Joc has been on a damn tear in ST.

I’m feeling better about this year than I have the last 2-3.

That being said, I think it’s the Last Dance 2.0. I’m hoping KB, Rizzo, and Baez play well enough that it’ll be impossible to keep all 3.

The lineup is salty. No real holes.
I think the thought is bryant is gone and whoever agrees first between rizzo and baez stays

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I don't think the Cubs are going to be very good, but the NL Central also isn't very good. I think we can win the division but have no shot against the top teams in the NL in the playoffs. Either way, it's nice to have a real baseball season again.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This is the least excited I have been about opening day in several years. I fully expect a sell off of anyone they can get return on or not be able to resign and I think the pitching rotation is setup to be a disaster especially if there are any injuries as they have no starting pitching depth to fall back on right now. I don't care about winning the NL Central this year, this team is not good enough to compete in the playoffs if they make it and I care more about flipping assets for prospects or cheaper MLB ready guys than winning the division then getting embarrassed in the 1st round of the playoffs.