***Official 2020-2021 Transfer Thread***

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Seems like it is happening other schools as well and at other positions. Fletcher left UK because of playing time. Terrence Clarke basically just quit midseason for them and you had something similar at Duke with Johnson.
I think part of it is these 5 stars all come in expecting to be dominate like they were in HS and are expecting just a quick stop in college before the NBA. The expectations seem to be out of control for these kids.

And it doesn't help at a place like Kentucky where they've had some generational talents come in and have great success right away. The John Wall, Anthony Davis, KAT, etc. of the world are the exception to the rule with Freshmen.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Wow, a 5-star McDonald's All American, and he needs a lot of development? I realize the college game is a big step up, yet many on here are expecting a 4-star Hunter to be our full time starting pg next season. I guess there's a big difference in a 5-star Cade Cunningham and the bottom dozen of the McD all-American team.
Definitely should put the expectations of Hunter into perspective.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I am fascinated the results of ISU/TT/UofM's hire and how the strategy to build result in success the next few years.

OTZ former assistant with some HC experience a lower levels. Has kept the top talent (- Bolton) and roster is pretty set mostly with young ISU players as the base.
Adams promoted an assistant, still determining his strategy.
Johnson young recruiter high upside. Most the roster gone, filling with older transfers.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
I am fascinated the results of ISU/TT/UofM's hire and how the strategy to build result in success the next few years.

OTZ former assistant with some HC experience a lower levels. Has kept the top talent (- Bolton) and roster is pretty set mostly with young ISU players as the base.
Adams promoted an assistant, still determining his strategy.
Johnson young recruiter high upside. Most the roster gone, filling with older transfers.

Same, especially Minnesota. That hire started out looking great by grabbing Battle and looking like they could keep Kalscheur and get Race Thompson back. Now that those two are scooped up they're left with Battle and some lower level school guys having to make the step up. Will be very interesting to see how they fill out and then how they recruit the state in 2022.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Same, especially Minnesota. That hire started out looking great by grabbing Battle and looking like they could keep Kalscheur and get Race Thompson back. Now that those two are scooped up they're left with Battle and some lower level school guys having to make the step up. Will be very interesting to see how they fill out and then how they recruit the state in 2022.

I'll add Moser highly sought after Mid Major coach making the jump. Uses a very different style than Oklahoma/Big 12
Shaka to an extent too, with him being at Marquette.
Lot of story lines.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Seems like it is happening other schools as well and at other positions. Fletcher left UK because of playing time. Terrence Clarke basically just quit midseason for them and you had something similar at Duke with Johnson.
I think part of it is these 5 stars all come in expecting to be dominate like they were in HS and are expecting just a quick stop in college before the NBA. The expectations seem to be out of control for these kids.

It's just natural for these 18ish year old kids have unrealistic expectations. Most have a lot of people in their ear telling them how great they are beyond immediate family.

The elite youth basketball structure puts emphasis on the kids identity as basketball players.

Pre-College
  • First there was the growth of travel AAU ball for elite players.
  • Over the last few years there has been growth of "basketball-prep" schools.
  • Earlier this week there was a lot of media attention of Kevin Ollie being hired by Overtime Elite to run their basketball academy for around 30 elite 16-18 year old kids. This is modeled after elite youth residential soccer academies.
During College
  • Athlete Dorms
  • Athlete Major Clusters (aka UNC=African American Studies, Michigan= Sports Mgmt)
  • Spending arms race for football & basketball facilities
  • Spending arms race for athlete supports services - training table, academic support, lounges, etc.
The developmental system has catered so much to THEIR athletic needs, that when something goes wrong, the solution isn't to work through adversity but to move on to a "better" fit.

The reality is a minority of the elite HS basketball players have strong interest for the academic side of college - they are there to play ball.

Let's end the hypocrisy and the NBA or a partner should create a minor league system where 18-22 year old kids can be paid and market their NIL.

Reactions: Javinegli

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We were never a player for Wright after he wasn’t allowed to commit in the summer of 2016. LW didn’t commit until October of 2016. Wright committed to Dayton in September well before LW committed to us. And he was pissed that we slow played him.
Prohm had a brilliant strategy of only taking one good player per position instead of stacking the team with the best players like Baylor. We could have had both.

• Dumb
Reactions: isu83

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Know nothing about Ellis and his game. Does everyone think its more about following Shaka or more about Beard coming in and re-evaluating and parting ways?
Yeah, as others have said, he committed to Shaka not caring about Texas at all. One of the QC TV stations carried a good interview last night but I couldn't find it. This link is not it.