***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
No one is expecting JCL to walk in an put up 15 ppg, but does he make the team better even if his stats are worse than they were at DePaul? That will be the key.
No one? Perhaps, but he’s been referenced as a home run and even hinting at him being our most talented player. You’re likely correct that he’s a role player though. Hopefully a selective shooter that hits a high percentage.

I think if you reviewed a few threads you’d see many posts suggestive of JCL having better numbers than his season at DePaul. His per game numbers can go down, but his per 100 and other stats need to maintain or improve imo

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
No one? Perhaps, but he’s been referenced as a home run and even hinting at him being our most talented player. You’re likely correct that he’s a role player though. Hopefully a selective shooter that hits a high percentage.

I think if you reviewed a few threads you’d see many posts suggestive of JCL having better numbers than his season at DePaul. His per game numbers can go down, but his per 100 and other stats need to maintain or improve imo

CW said on a recent pod he think's JCL could be our leading scorer. i think thats too ambitious

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Expecting a player to leave a school, join a new team and learn a whole new system is far more likely to depress their numbers than inflate them. The Kane/Shayok impact transfers are not the norm but fans point to those few as what is needed. I do think many of us get caught in the hype and expect that impact from all new players.

Still Coleman-Lands and Harris are upgrades on the players they replaced. Justin Smith and Gach would be if they become Cyclones. Getting two eligible will improve next years teams tournament chances over the outlook we had in March. That hope for the fans psyche is what was needed.
Exactly, probably would be hard to calculate but what is the differential of these transfers' numbers vs who they replaced in the lineup. I think that's what we need to look at for our team.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think he'll be our second leading scorer. I've heard they're pretty excited about him

Expect Bolton would be the leading scorer, especially if he's allowed to play off the ball for a majority of his time on the floor. Lot to ask for him to bring the bring the ball up the court, start the offense and get good shots.
JCL slashing with the addition of Harris, Gach and/or Smith would allow for a lot of open shots for Rasir, and some big scoring games. Getting some stretch 4 PF play (Smith, Johnson, and Foster) would also open the paint.

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
I think he'll be our second leading scorer. I've heard they're pretty excited about him

He was very good at Illinois. Was the drop off at DePaul due to a poor fit or the injury? If he regains the form he had as an underclassman we got a great one.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
JCL slashing with the addition of Harris, Gach and/or Smith would allow for a lot of open shots for Rasir, and some big scoring games. Getting some stretch 4 PF play (Smith, Johnson, and Foster) would also open the paint.
He was very good at Illinois. Was the drop off at DePaul due to a poor fit or the injury? If he regains the form he had as an underclassman we got a great one.
Look at the 3P rate. In Big10 play at Illinois he had a very high 3P rate and low free throw rate. The former went down in his Big East play, and the latter up.

Imo, if we’re asking him to do much slashing we may be asking too much. I hope he’s mostly taking set 3Ps off Bolton and Harris drives, and Young kick outs.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Exactly, probably would be hard to calculate but what is the differential of these transfers' numbers vs who they replaced in the lineup. I think that's what we need to look at for our team.

It is not that difficult to look at their points above replacement of Bart Torvik compared to the guys they are replacing. Just assume some distribution of minutes.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
What was DePauls style of play? That can make a big deference too(see Shayock).
They had a slightly faster adJT, but poor shooters.

With our lacking of pg, and many long players, hopefully we return to getting out in transition more. Gotta get stops!

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Show me a staff that isn’t excited about any incoming recruit

Transfers? Beverly and Kasongo didn't get talked about positively by them at all. They liked Talley, Nixon and Brase. Pretty indifferent on Bowie and Holden, they were just happy to have bodies at that point with that squad. Nixon was talked a lot about his redshirt year but not much the off season going into his playing year. Obviously all the hits were talked about a lot

High school is a whole different ballgame. They've known right away with multiple guys it wasn't going to work but you can't really tell until they get them on campus. You have a better idea what you're getting with a healthy grad transfer with P5 experience

Last edited:
Reactions: CyPunch

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames

I think him playing all conference level is a hope, not an expectation. Anyone with that expectation is likely to be incredibly disappointed, even if he does still end up helping the team win games.