***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If the kid can play, even at 5'9"" we are in no position to pass. Not saying Gomez is a pro, but these NBA guys were all too short too:

Calvin Murphy
Muggsy Bogues
Avery Johnson
Damon Stoudimire
Michael Adams
Spud Webb
Nate Robinson
Earl Boykins

You make a list like that and don't have Tiny Archibald?

You're also making quite the time frame, Calvin Murphy is 71 years old.

Reactions: Halincandenza

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I can't wait for the "I tHoUgHt YoU sAiD bOwEn BoRn WaS tOo ShOrT" takes when we land Terrell Gomez.

Reactions: Cytown12

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
They both shot 33% from 3 point range last year. They may improve next year but they are not nearly “good enough” unless they both are 38% or above.

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=cbb&url=/cbb/schools/iowa-state/2020.html&div=div_per_game_conf"></script>

38.2% for Bolton and 37.9% for Jackson in conference play. After they hit their stride against better competition they were just fine. I'd expect that to continue.

Reactions: WhoISthis

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Wrong. I have been on the record of wanting all of those guys. I like Murphy from Rise as well as a sit out guy. I am just not high on every single guy ISU goes after just because they go after them.

Yeah you were probably leading the charge complaining we had no three point shooting last year. Gomez shot it from three at 44% last year. 95% from the free throw line. 95%!! That absolutely fills a need/role and we have four open scholarships! He would be a great spark plug.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Yeah you were probably leading the charge complaining we had no three point shooting last year. Gomez shot it from three at 44% last year. 95% from the free throw line. 95%!! That absolutely fills a need/role and we have four open scholarships! He would be a great spark plug.

I know he is a good shooter. The guy might be an ok bench player but he doesn’t do anything to help the defense or help get them back to the tournament. If he is the best they can get for a GT I would take him but there are more players I would rather have than him and there are probably some more guys that will be available at some point.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I know he is a good shooter. The guy might be an ok bench player but he doesn’t do anything to help the defense or help get them back to the tournament. If he is the best they can get for a GT I would take him but there are more players I would rather have than him and there are probably some more guys that will be available at some point.

Remember too he'd be replacing Nixon's and Grill 3 pt shooing next year. Gomez would immediately help the spacing and not allow team to crowd the paint let alone the additional points he could add by hitting 15%ish from 3.
I understand there are defensive limitations but the hope is adding the length of Johnson, Dubar, Blackwell at the wings with both Conditt and Foster in the post will mitigate it.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Remember too he'd be replacing Nixon's and Grill 3 pt shooing next year. Gomez would immediately help the spacing and not allow team to crowd the paint let alone the additional points he could add by hitting 15%ish from 3.
I understand there are defensive limitations but the hope is adding the length of Johnson, Dubar, Blackwell at the wings with both Conditt and Foster in the post will mitigate it.
I'd be surprised if a freshman foster is a good defender

DreamyFred21

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2012
Grimes
Not that my opinion matters much, but I watched Gomez play a couple times this year in CSUN games (I like gambling on mid-major hoops), and he is legit. Tough as nails and can make challenged jumpers. I absolutely think he would have started for ISU this year, and I would project him to be a 12-15 ppg guy next year if he comes here. Admittedly, I didn't pay as close of attention to his individual defense, but it didn't stand out as absymal in the couple games I saw. Plus, there is usually one guard who can be hidden guarding a "shooter" or lesser offensive threat on the other team. Under the assumption of a Gomez-Jackson-Bolton starting lineup, I assume Jackson guards the best perimeter player, then Bolton, then Gomez. Would love to add him to the team. Just thought I'd share since I watched a couple full games and saw more than highlights.