***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
According to Busting Brackets Javian Davis has a final 6 of WKU, Xavier, Gerogetown, Wake Forest, Tulane and Miss St. I haven't seen a official release on twitter and BB isn't always the most accurate. Not to surprised ISU wouldn't use the final roster spot on a sit out post though either.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/07/17/ncaa-basketball-analyzing-top-6-teams-transfer-javian-davis/
Not a huge deal losing out on him I don't think, but this team will have a hole in the front court in the not so distant future when Solo graduates and (if) XF goes 2 and done like he has been on record stating. If XF goes 2 and done, he'll leave with Conditt, meaning that as early as 2 years from now, we have no clue who any bigs will be in this program. Not ideal for a position that typically requires a year or two to develop prospects. Steve will need to bring in a transfer big within the calendar year imo, unless he's gonna land another highly touted big like XF in the 21 class.

Reactions: heitclone

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Not a huge deal losing out on him I don't think, but this team will have a hole in the front court in the not so distant future when Solo graduates and (if) XF goes 2 and done like he has been on record stating. If XF goes 2 and done, he'll leave with Conditt, meaning that as early as 2 years from now, we have no clue who any bigs will be in this program. Not ideal for a position that typically requires a year or two to develop prospects. Steve will need to bring in a transfer big within the calendar year imo, unless he's gonna land another highly touted big like XF in the 21 class.

XF saying he'll be an NBA early entrant and it actually happening are two different things. I hope like hell it happens as it means 1) ISU was likely successful and 2) hes a native iowan.

This staffs track record with big men, recruiting and developing, is not great.

Alonzo Gaffney (NWFS) is someone i'd love this staff to recruit as a JUCO player. Played Freshman year at OSU and wasnt great but is a former top 50 recruit

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
XF saying he'll be an NBA early entrant and it actually happening are two different things. I hope like hell it happens as it means 1) ISU was likely successful and 2) hes a native iowan.

Alonzo Gaffney (NWFS) is someone i'd love this staff to recruit as a JUCO player. Played Freshman year at OSU and wasnt great but is a former top 50 recruit
I don't know if it's so much they have a bad track record as they just take so much damn time to get the players ready. That's just the nature of being a big, regardless of where they play, unless they're an elite talent. The only bigs I can think of that were whiffs were in Prohms first couple classes, Ernst and Carter. Lard was good, albeit inconsistent and a hot head. Young has panned out. Conditt has been serviceable in 2 years so far with potential to improve. And now he brings in highly touted XF. Where Steve has struggled is with transfer bigs. Jacobson was good at times, but also bad and never great. Bowie was more of a stretch 4.

Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I don't know if it's so much they have a bad track record as they just take so much damn time to get the players ready. That's just the nature of being a big, regardless of where they play, unless they're an elite talent. The only bigs I can think of that were whiffs were in Prohms first couple classes, Ernst and Carter. Lard was good, albeit inconsistent and a hot head. Young has panned out. Conditt has been serviceable in 2 years so far with potential to improve. And now he brings in highly touted XF. Where Steve has struggled is with transfer bigs. Jacobson was good at times, but also bad and never great. Bowie was more of a stretch 4.

Steve Prohm coached players 6'8 and over

Simeon Carter - whiff but in first recruiting class

Brady Ernst - whiff but in first recruiting class

Cam Lard - very talented but a head case

Ray Kasongo - absolute whiff. no excuse taking a kid that bad

Merrill Holden - not a big 12 player, but a bit excused due to guard talent that team had

Darrell Bowie - had highs and lows but a solid big 12 bench player

Solomon Young - solid big 12 player

Michael Jacobson - solid big 12 player

Hans Brase - whiff, had injuries and roster construction forced him to be a take, but not a big 12 player

George Conditt - has shown flashes but struggled in big 12 play this year

Reactions: Statefan10

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Merrill Holden - not a big 12 player, but a bit excused due to guard talent that team had

Hans Brase - whiff, had injuries and roster construction forced him to be a take, but not a big 12 player

I generally agreed with this save...

Lard = I think you were trying to imply this, but he was worth the take given how talented he could be to see what they could get out of him.

Brase = I bet a healthy Brase could have been a nice piece. He was just never healthy between the knee and the ankle while he was in Ames.

I am really curious how Conditt is going to turn out.

Time for him to grab the bull by the horns.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

I am glad Foster picked the good guys and am excited to see him play next year. He appears to be a well-rounded player with NBA size/length, but right now, I don’t know that he has a single skill or attribute that is NBA-level elite. That doesn’t mean he won’t develop to a lottery-level pick, or that he can’t leave early to play pro, but I think it’s a little early to plan for him to be gone in 2 years.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am glad Foster picked the good guys and am excited to see him play next year. He appears to be a well-rounded player with NBA size/length, but right now, I don’t know that he has a single skill or attribute that is NBA-level elite. That doesn’t mean he won’t develop to a lottery-level pick, or that he can’t leave early to play pro, but I think it’s a little early to plan for him to be gone in 2 years.

Wigginton and Horton-Tucker were able to leave early when they did because them going pro coincided with the NBA making the D-League into a serious AAA system. The NBA expanded the D-League to have one affiliate for each franchise (so NBA rosters went essentially from 15-man to 30-man constructions), improved the contracts offered to the players, moved the affiliates closer to their home base, and invested more money and seriousness into coaching and development at that level.

All these contributed to a windfall of more roster spots and good contracts being available for guys on the margin, like LW and THT, so away they went. But I imagine the system has already spent that windfall and established a new equilibrium by now. Foster still might be good enough to draw an NBA team's attention, but he is going to have to do it against a settled tide instead of a rising tide from a few years ago.

I would be perfectly happy for #10 to hold down the 5 position for us the next four years, be the perfect big to fit into the 4/1 we like to run, and go out on top with us discussing if we should be putting his number in the rafters someday. You know, if it happens, but keeping him around if he is really that good would be difficult.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Wigginton and Horton-Tucker were able to leave early when they did because them going pro coincided with the NBA making the D-League into a serious AAA system. The NBA expanded the D-League to have one affiliate for each franchise (so NBA rosters went essentially from 15-man to 30-man constructions), improved the contracts offered to the players, moved the affiliates closer to their home base, and invested more money and seriousness into coaching and development at that level.

All these contributed to a windfall of more roster spots and good contracts being available for guys on the margin, like LW and THT, so away they went. But I imagine the system has already spent that windfall and established a new equilibrium by now. Foster still might be good enough to draw an NBA team's attention, but he is going to have to do it against a settled tide instead of a rising tide from a few years ago.

I would be perfectly happy for #10 to hold down the 5 position for us the next four years, be the perfect big to fit into the 4/1 we like to run, and go out on top with us discussing if we should be putting his number in the rafters someday. You know, if it happens, but keeping him around if he is really that good would be difficult.

It’s entirely possible that he chooses to leave even if not protected in the lottery, and, if that’s the case, get paid, young man!

THT has elite-to-excellent positional wingspan, athleticism, and scoring ability. Wigginton is a freak athlete. I’m just not sure (yet?) what Foster does well enough to set him apart from other NBA-level 5’s, though that may be ignorance on my part.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It’s entirely possible that he chooses to leave even if not protected in the lottery, and, if that’s the case, get paid, young man!

THT has elite-to-excellent positional wingspan, athleticism, and scoring ability. Wigginton is a freak athlete. I’m just not sure (yet?) what Foster does well enough to set him apart from other NBA-level 5’s, though that may be ignorance on my part.
I think Xavier fits the mold of what a lot of posts from Texas have looked like over the last 5 years. Very long and very athletic. We just have to see how he's going to do at this different level. If his game translates to the Big 12, he will be a very special player for us.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I am not the scout that some people are in here, but for Foster...

-- legit 7', and you cannot teach that

-- has the ball and passing skills of a wing, which fits nicely into the modern NBA

-- could develop into a stretch-4 or stretch-5 on offense and a rim-protector on defense, which is a very attractive piece in the modern NBA game

I know we think of him like a 5, but his path forward might be something more like "Marial Shayok except he's 7' tall and can block shots."

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I am not the scout that some people are in here, but for Foster...

-- legit 7', and you cannot teach that

-- has the ball and passing skills of a wing, which fits nicely into the modern NBA

-- could develop into a stretch-4 or stretch-5 on offense and a rim-protector on defense, which is a very attractive piece in the modern NBA game

I know we think of him like a 5, but his path forward might be something more like "Marial Shayok except he's 7' tall and can block shots."
I think you literally described Kevin Durant.. Lordy would that be fun.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I think Xavier fits the mold of what a lot of posts from Texas have looked like over the last 5 years. Very long and very athletic. We just have to see how he's going to do at this different level. If his game translates to the Big 12, he will be a very special player for us.

the problem is those texas big men have been boom or bust

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.44.09 AM.png

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Seems like this list is missing somebody that's pretty difficult to forget.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

My dyslexia is wondering why searching for Alonzo Gaffney is not safe for work.

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018

I know Hans was injured but the guy had a 19% EFG% in Big 12 play. Just brutal.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

He can shoot the 3 which is a marketable skill for a 7' player in the NBA, assuming it carries over to college level play. He looks to have good ball handling skills such as the clip showing him dribbling the ball behind his back, but not enough visual evidence to conclusively state how good those skills are.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron