***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Eastern is very good. If he was a grad transfer he'd be at a blue blood. He'll still be highly sought after even as a sit one play one

The "good" version of him above is a bad shooter (or at least not a good one) who turns it over too much... but makes up for it with rebounding and steals.

Weird sort of player. I suppose he has some potential as a defense-first guard.

If a year off and a change of venue to clear his head and get him back on the development path he had after his sophomore year is what he needs, he would have potential as a 1/1 guy. He would not be Shayok (and very few people are going to stomp on Tokyo like he routinely did), but he could be neutral on offense and a plus on defense.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I'd be all over Eastern. Limited offensive player, but two time Big Ten all-Defensive team selection. Elite defender and strong on the boards. Would be a great fit at the 4 on our roster, especially if paired with a big like Foster who is able to be a perimeter threat.

We could use a player like Eastern big time.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Eastern was very good as a sophomore but took a step back as a junior.

View attachment 71862

Was there some sort of injury or personal issue there distracting him?

He just made way fewer shots and turned it over a lot more as a junior. He barely ever shoots threes, so that might be a problem, but there are things to like.

Seems like that whole program was out of sorts last year. Now with Eastern and Haarms leaving, maybe there is something going on. Purdue is a pretty decent program but its odd to lose your best returning player in Haarms and Eastern who played starter minutes.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Seems like that whole program was out of sorts last year. Now with Eastern and Haarms leaving, maybe there is something going on. Purdue is a pretty decent program but its odd to lose your best returning player in Haarms and Eastern who played starter minutes.

...maybe Eastern felt he was about to fall out of the rotation...?

Reactions: aobie and heitclone

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
The "good" version of him above is a bad shooter (or at least not a good one) who turns it over too much... but makes up for it with rebounding and steals.

Weird sort of player. I suppose he has some potential as a defense-first guard.

If a year off and a change of venue to clear his head and get him back on the development path he had after his sophomore year is what he needs, he would have potential as a 1/1 guy. He would not be Shayok (and very few people are going to stomp on Tokyo like he routinely did), but he could be neutral on offense and a plus on defense.

I’m not going to lie to you (and this is purely off of what I’ve read in this thread as I haven’t seen him play), he sounds like Nixon 2.0 (and coming in we thought Nixon might be able to shoot).

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I’m not going to lie to you (and this is purely off of what I’ve read in this thread as I haven’t seen him play), he sounds like Nixon 2.0 (and coming in we thought Nixon might be able to shoot).

See this --

A 6’7” Nixon would have shut dudes down.

"Nixon only what was advertised" would be useful.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Makale Forman is the better player of the top two Stoney brook players. Elijah is just super athletic and strong. That’s what I’m being told

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
How many P6 schools still have three open scholarships?

Gregg Marshall and Bruce Weber each had to fill 8(ish) spots. Though their classes are 5+ freshman and some jucos.

Marquette still has 2 open, which was 4 until Carton and Perez committed, but those are each sit-outs.

I do tend to like our hopes of immediately eligible players coming in to fill the kinds of roles we still need.

Lastly, Michigan and Illinois are still possibly at 3 open if declared players stay in the draft.

Considering some of the large amounts of defections at mid majors this offseason as well, Prohm & Co relatively speaking aren’t in that odd of a situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: baagoe

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think Eastern is a take, but I'm not sure he is a great fit for what. ISU does.

He's not a perimeter player in today's college game. Like someone else mentioned, at best he's a point forward. But I don't remember him being a great ballhandler.

I would be curious on what type of leader he is. If he is a strong personality and team leader, he could impose some defensive accountability among his teammates. If he's more a background kid, his value is less.

I would also say the fact he is a sit-out transfer makes him less attractive- I just don't see the sit-out year allowing him to develop a jumpshot and having anywhere near the impact Shayok did.

If he is OK being a defensive stopper. A 4th/5th option on offense. A grinder type player then great.

If he is looking for a fresh start and wants to be a team's go to guy on offense then he should jump to an MVC type program.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Eastern sounds like he might be in the mold of a Dustin Hogue. You can always use a guy like that.

jmkc12

Apr 27, 2017
Can't believe how quiet it's been from AJ Walker and his camp. With 3 open schollies he's near the top of my list of who is left.

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I think Eastern is a take, but I'm not sure he is a great fit for what. ISU does.

He's not a perimeter player in today's college game. Like someone else mentioned, at best he's a point forward. But I don't remember him being a great ballhandler.

I would be curious on what type of leader he is. If he is a strong personality and team leader, he could impose some defensive accountability among his teammates. If he's more a background kid, his value is less.

I would also say the fact he is a sit-out transfer makes him less attractive- I just don't see the sit-out year allowing him to develop a jumpshot and having anywhere near the impact Shayok did.

If he is OK being a defensive stopper. A 4th/5th option on offense. A grinder type player then great.

If he is looking for a fresh start and wants to be a team's go to guy on offense then he should jump to an MVC type program.

Crazy he was listed anywhere from a PG to SF. He was listed as a PG on 247. I don’t think he ever played PG at Purdue but I may be mistaken.
https://247sports.com/player/nojel-eastern-35511/

Clyde4cy

Oct 22, 2018
We need players who have been exposed to quality coaching. ISU has had great results from Big 10 transfers. Eastern is a take.