NBA: ***Official 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Total NBA Hoiball... Playing for anywhere from a 5 seed to not in the playoffs with 3 games left, and lose to the worst team in the NBA with another 4th quarter collapse. Bulls have by far the easiest schedule to close out the season, and they have lost 2 of 3.

On the bright side they hold the tiebreak over Miami and Indiana, and they're at the sorry-ass Magic tonight. The bad news is the Pacers get Philly tonight so they should be able to maintain that one game lead over the Bulls.

edit: I just read that Lebron and Kyrie are out for tonight's game at Miami. That's not doing Indy or Chicago any favors.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If OKC was a top three seed he'd be a lock. But historically, wins matter in the MVP vote. I can see why voters would be uncomfortable voting for a the best player on a six seed team. I don't have the numbers off the top of my head, but generally the award goes to a player on a team near the top of the league standings.

Maybe the triple double thing is enough for him to buck that trend, but it'll be close. The award could go to Russ, Lebron, Kawhi, or Harden and I wouldn't have a problem with any of them. They're all deserving.

I think the drama of him breaking the record, and then hitting the game winner in the fashion he did is going to seal it up for him. It will be close, but Westbrook has the narrative that's going to be hard to ignore.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
If OKC was a top three seed he'd be a lock. But historically, wins matter in the MVP vote. I can see why voters would be uncomfortable voting for a the best player on a six seed team. I don't have the numbers off the top of my head, but generally the award goes to a player on a team near the top of the league standings.

Maybe the triple double thing is enough for him to buck that trend, but it'll be close. The award could go to Russ, Lebron, Kawhi, or Harden and I wouldn't have a problem with any of them. They're all deserving.
Yeah I remember seeing somewhere that like the past 25 MVP winners have finished top 2 in their conference. If wins is the most important than Kawhi should win. IIRC they won't announce the winner until the finals are over, so it'll be a while before we find out

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah I remember seeing somewhere that like the past 25 MVP winners have finished top 2 in their conference. If wins is the most important than Kawhi should win. IIRC they won't announce the winner until the finals are over, so it'll be a while before we find out

Yeah, June 26th. But ballots have to be turned in this Friday. It would be awesome if the results got leaked before the HOU/OKC first round matchup.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Yeah, June 26th. But ballots have to be turned in this Friday. It would be awesome if the results got leaked before the HOU/OKC first round matchup.
I think it's dumb that they wait that long to release it. The playoffs have nothing to do with the awards.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think the drama of him breaking the record, and then hitting the game winner in the fashion he did is going to seal it up for him. It will be close, but Westbrook has the narrative that's going to be hard to ignore.

You're probably right. He put up the best closing kick of any of the candidates, and he has the most media friendly story. LeBron's annual excellence is stale, Kawhi Leonard is a victim of the "boring Spurs" mindset, and James Harden just isn't all that much fun to watch for a whole game.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Meanwhile, in the NBA basement -

https://theringer.com/los-angeles-lakers-refuse-to-tank-nba-draft-61ff297fbc29

"They owe the 76ers a first-round draft pick via the Nash trade, but the pick is top-three protected. If their pick ends up third or higher, they keep it. If it ends up fourth or lower, they lose it. They’ll have to give up the pick next year regardless, but it would be beneficial for them to get to pick a young talent a year earlier — and perhaps be competent enough next year that the pick they’ll lose won’t be so high.

But it gets weirder and worse! If the Lakers lose this year’s pick, they’ll owe the Magic an unprotected 2019 first-rounder because of the Howard trade. If they hold on to this year’s pick, they’ll owe the Magic merely a pair of second-round picks."

Hilarious!

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Cleve decides to quit playing after 3 quarters. They must not care about homecourt because after tonight Boston will have it with each team having a game left.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Wed. night games

Milwaukee @ Boston

Toronto @ Cleveland

Brooklyn @ Chicago

Atlanta @ Indiana

Washington @ Miami

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think Boston will hold on to get the top seed. Atlanta beats Indy to get the 5 seed, and the Bulls, Heat and Pacers tie, so the Bulls get the 7 and Miami gets the 8.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Know it won't happen but imagine fresh off the Cubs taking down the Indians if Bulls would shock the Cavs in the playoffs.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Cleve decides to quit playing after 3 quarters. They must not care about homecourt because after tonight Boston will have it with each team having a game left.

If everyone was healthy it might be a different story. But Lebron is 32 and he's played a ton of minutes this year and Kyrie's knee is flaring up. If they have to pick between getting those two right vs. home court advantage in the postseason, it's a no-brainer. If those two aren't healthy then home court advantage is meaningless for the Cavs.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Charles Barkley thinks Cleveland wants the 2 seed so they don't have to face the Wizards in the second round, It kind of makes sense since the cavs have struggled against them. The Wizards are my sleeper team in the playoffs. I'm not worried about Cleveland not making the finals, it isn't easy beating Lebron in a 7 game series

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think Boston will hold on to get the top seed. Atlanta beats Indy to get the 5 seed, and the Bulls, Heat and Pacers tie, so the Bulls get the 7 and Miami gets the 8.

I think you're right about Boston. But Atlanta has Charlotte tonight and then they have to turn around and play the Pacers in Indy tomorrow night. And if they win, then I think they're locked in as the five seed so they might rest some key guys tomorrow night. And the Pacers know it's a must win because it's unlikely the Bulls or Heat will lose. I think Miami gets left out. As to the order of 5-8 in the East, I can't even start to unravel that. I think Indy can get as high as a six seed if the Hawks lose their last two and the Bucks win tomorrow night, but at this point I'd settle for a seven or eight. They can't beat Cleveland in a seven game series but Lebron vs Paul George is a must watch.