NBA: ***Official 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The Bulls are going to make the playoffs. Their remaining schedule has tissue paper softness.

Yeah, it looks good for them. The bottom of the Eastern playoff field is sort of scrambled right now, so it's hard to say where they'll end up. It's possible they could climb up to the fifth seed if Atlanta stays in a free fall and Milwaukee stumbles. Or they could continue their season long trend and lose to all the ****** opponents left on their remaining schedule, which is pretty much all of them:

@ NY
@PHI
@BKN
ORL
BKN

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Russ needs 2 more triple doubles in 6 games for the record. I think he gets it but does he win the MVP?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Russ needs 2 more triple doubles in 6 games for the record. I think he gets it but does he win the MVP?

Maybe. I'd still give it to Harden or Kawhi at this point but Russ is closing fast. It just depends on how you interpret what the MVP award should be. Do you give it to the guy with better numbers on a worse team, or do you give it to a guy whose stats don't quite stack up but who has elevated his team? As awesome as he's been, Russ is playing hero ball every night for what will probably be a sub-50 win team. Is he playing hero ball because his teammates are trash or would the Thunder maybe be a little better off if Russ wasn't quite so ball-dominant? And is that more valuable than the best player on a sixty win team?

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Maybe. I'd still give it to Harden or Kawhi at this point but Russ is closing fast. It just depends on how you interpret what the MVP award should be. Do you give it to the guy with better numbers on a worse team, or do you give it to a guy whose stats don't quite stack up but who has elevated his team? As awesome as he's been, Russ is playing hero ball every night for what will probably be a sub-50 win team. Is he playing hero ball because his teammates are trash or would the Thunder maybe be a little better off if Russ wasn't quite so ball-dominant? And is that more valuable than the best player on a sixty win team?
If you take Russ away from the thunder they're probably looking at a top 5 draft pick. It's incredible how Russ has carried this lackluster team. The Thunder only have 4 other players averaging more than 8 ppg. He literally has no help on offense. Meanwhile the Rockets has 8 player who average more than 8.

Westbrook 31.9 ppg 10.6 rpg 10.4 apg 1.7 spg 30.68 PER
Harden 29.2 ppg 8.1 rpg 11.2 apg (5.8 TO) 1.5 spg 27.39 PER
Westbrook defentily has the better stats and he's doing something that has only happened once in NBA history. If I had a vote I'd vote for Westbrook.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
[QUOTE="Desiigner, post: 5648088, member: 36009"]If you take Russ away from the thunder they're probably looking at a top 5 draft pick. It's incredible how Russ has carried this lackluster team. The Thunder only have 4 other players averaging more than 8 ppg. He literally has no help on offense. Meanwhile the Rockets has 8 player who average more than 8.

Westbrook 31.9 ppg 10.6 rpg 10.4 apg 1.7 spg 30.68 PER
Harden 29.2 ppg 8.1 rpg 11.2 apg (5.8 TO) 1.5 spg 27.39 PER
Westbrook defentily has the better stats and he's doing something that has only happened once in NBA history. If I had a vote I'd vote for Westbrook.[/QUOTE]

How many wins is Kawhi Leonard worth to the Spurs, or James Harden to the Rockets? Are they somehow less valuable because if you remove them from their teams they go from championship contenders to middle of the pack?

And I understand the significance of what Russ is doing statistically, but I don't know if that's enough to dislodge either of the other two guys. It's individually impressive, but if all it's done is lifted a team from the lottery to a six seed then it's ultimately more style than substance. And we maybe need to look at how we value the triple double. Games are being played at a breakneck pace and around the league offenses are as efficient as they've ever been. A triple double is still great, but when all of a sudden guys like Elfrid Payton are racking them up then maybe we need to take a step back and reconsider just how impressive they are.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
No way the Bulls blow this, right?;)

Miami is at Charlotte tonight. The Bulls and Pacers are idle. If the Heat win, they move into a three way tie with both teams for the seven seed in the East. Chicago's saving grace might be the Atlanta Hawks, who are in the midst of a slump and face a brutal schedule to close out the season - a back to back vs. Boston and @ Cleveland, followed by a home game against Cleveland, home vs. Charlotte, and @ Indiana for the last regular season game. That one might be for the last spot in the East.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The Maverick-Clipper game on right now looks like a half-ass scrimmage.

Silly season in the NBA.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Heat lost tonight. Chicago only needs to get 2 of the last 3 and they may not even need that. Miami finishes with @Wash, Cle, Wash so I doubt they win another game. So the 8 teams currently in the East field are going to in. Just a matter of how teams will be seeded.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Bulls must not want to go to the playoffs

Total NBA Hoiball... Playing for anywhere from a 5 seed to not in the playoffs with 3 games left, and lose to the worst team in the NBA with another 4th quarter collapse. Bulls have by far the easiest schedule to close out the season, and they have lost 2 of 3.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Russ breaks the triple double record, scored 56 points and hit a buzzer beater #MVP

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Russ breaks the triple double record, scored 56 points and hit a buzzer beater #MVP

If OKC was a top three seed he'd be a lock. But historically, wins matter in the MVP vote. I can see why voters would be uncomfortable voting for a the best player on a six seed team. I don't have the numbers off the top of my head, but generally the award goes to a player on a team near the top of the league standings.

Maybe the triple double thing is enough for him to buck that trend, but it'll be close. The award could go to Russ, Lebron, Kawhi, or Harden and I wouldn't have a problem with any of them. They're all deserving.